Snakes

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
So it appears we have quite a bit of snakes on our property, i'm pretty sure they are just eastern fox snakes, could be massasauga rattler but they are really rare here i guess...the one i almost stepped on this morning was a bit over 5 feet, and it got pretty mad at the dog that came over and had a peek. When it reared back and hissed at the dog it's head looked more like a rattler though...i hate snakes...i really hate snakes...what can i do? napalm?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
If you have a lot of snakes it means you have a lot of food to support the snakes. Get rid of rodents and the snakes go away.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
If you have a lot of snakes it means you have a lot of food to support the snakes. Get rid of rodents and the snakes go away.

Agree, OP needs to start setting traps/baiting. I wouldn't kill any of the snakes though, then you might wind up with a HUGE rodent problem.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Let them do their snake thing. When the rodents are cleaned out, they'll move on.

Reactions: FaaR

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
If you really feel you must get rid of them either have a friend that isn't afraid of them catch & move them or find a pro to do it, especially if it is a rattler.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
When we had a bunch of free ranging chickens, I never saw so much as an ant or a spider. Our German shepherd kills chickens, so no more free range. When I started working on the garden a few weeks ago, the black plastic between rows was perfect for keeping the weeds out... and snakes in. I lost count (garter snakes) in the mid-20's. I welcome the snakes. Unfortunately, our little dog isn't so welcoming.

I would gadly have non-venomous snakes on my property.

Last edited:

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Any photos, maybe?

Some non-venomous snakes will also put on a display to convince you to leave, but the worst you'd get is a few rows of damn sharp teeth in your skin, assuming they don't still end up deciding to escape anyway. For the most part, venomous or not, snakes do prefer to escape and only bite if they feel immediately threatened.

There are also some snakes that evolved behavior that mimics a rattlesnake's responses, in part because if an animal knows a rattlesnake is dangerous, it'll probably avoid things that act like one.
The Wiki entry for fox snakes says that they do this, specifically with regards to shaking their tail, preferably against dry leaves to generate a sound.

Last edited:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Not much we can do about rodents on a farm, our german shepherd would always kill the snakes for me, the golden retriever ran away quicker than i did :(

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Not much we can do about rodents on a farm, our german shepherd would always kill the snakes for me, the golden retriever ran away quicker than i did :(
Just keep in mind that in India, they're not allowed to kill cobras because the rodent population increased a lot when the snake population dropped.

Not that they're good choices, but when faced with grain-eating, disease-ridden rodents versus venomous snakes, they went with venomous snakes.
Some cobras will even strike mouth-closed, partly so they don't waste venom, and also to try to hammer home the message that you really need to go away.

Snakes can also seek out things like litters of defenseless bite-sized baby mice and take them out before they grow to breeding age.

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
So it appears we have quite a bit of snakes on our property, i'm pretty sure they are just eastern fox snakes, could be massasauga rattler but they are really rare here i guess...the one i almost stepped on this morning was a bit over 5 feet, and it got pretty mad at the dog that came over and had a peek. When it reared back and hissed at the dog it's head looked more like a rattler though...i hate snakes...i really hate snakes...what can i do? napalm?
I have seen only 1 Massasauga rattler in my life. That was in cottage country. They are highly endangered here.

I dealt with snakes all my life because I lived in a part of town that was very rural. I had a creek and lots of fields, trees grasses and animals everywhere. It was like living in the country. Snakes keep the mice under control. My cat also kept the mice under control.

I like snakes.

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
snakes-on-a-train.jpg

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
If it was a rattle snake, you would have heard the rattle, especially if he went into defense mode.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Snakes are cool. So long as they stay outside the house. They maintain that gentlemens agreement and we co-exist just dandy.

One of the most upsetting things for me when mowing is accidentally hitting one that I didn't see. Hate when that that happens.

shimpster

Jul 5, 2007

u dont mention where u r seeing the snakes, indoorz or outdoorz.
if u have alot of snakes u r seeing outdoors near ur house, then u can rest assured they r in the house. check ur attic space and look for the shed skin hanging over rafterz. snakes can crawl up brick, vinyl, wood siding, etc., and enter via ur vent openings.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
u dont mention where u r seeing the snakes, indoorz or outdoorz.
if u have alot of snakes u r seeing outdoors near ur house, then u can rest assured they r in the house. check ur attic space and look for the shed skin hanging over rafterz. snakes can crawl up brick, vinyl, wood siding, etc., and enter via ur vent openings.

that helps my snake phobia...thanks!