Snacks

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
I am looking for some new ideas for what I can have at work for snacks. Right now all I have is almonds and am ready for something else. It needs to be ok to sit at room temp. and not spoil but also I am looking for healthy options. Any help?

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
for a snack i will usually have a handful of cashews and an orange.

on occasion, i will have fried pork skins/rinds. but their healthiness is dubious.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
What level of healthiness are you looking for? And can you take a small lunchbox with a freezer pack?

Tuna/mayo with chips is pretty good & high-protein.

Energy balls (nut butter, honey, oats, etc.) like this are getting really popular:

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2011/07/wednesday-not-baking-energy-balls/

Dried fruit is always good, or you can mix it up and do a trail mix with nuts and whatnot. Granola bars are always good too.

Dallascisco

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2003
I usually have something like a kashi bar or gnc snack bar. I sometimes take greek yogurt and put it in my work fridge.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
i have cultured coconut milk (think yogurt) in our work fridge that i usually have with my cashews and orange.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
I prefer an "interactive" nut like Pistachios, prevents me from just eating handfuls. Beef Jerky, packed in water fruit cups.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Those hard ass nature valley bars because they're free at my school and a lot of bananas.

Sep 29, 2004
Room temp? Air popped popcorn! The kernals are stored at room temp but you need a $20-$30 popper for it. I havn't found a suitable alternative to butter yet which stinks but a tablespoon of butter is all that you need and that is about 100 calories. If you like it without butter, it is fairly low calorie and fairly healthy.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Clif Builder Bars

Almonds + Protein Shake

Peanut Butter/Hummus + Veggies

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
I was thinking about apples. Trying to keep my sugar/carb intake low though.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I havn't found a suitable alternative to butter yet which stinks but a tablespoon of butter is all that you need and that is about 100 calories.

I use a small amount of olive oil and mix in some seasoning, usually something like Mrs. Dash to get a seasoning blend which adds a lot of flavor to the popcorn.

Sep 29, 2004
olive oil is better than butter, but aren't the calories similar?

Your not the first to say olive oil. I'll have to give it a shot soon.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
2nd for Clif Builder Bars, they're not exactly healthy but they're not unhealthy either. The Choc PB ones are delicious, as are the Choc Mint ones. Wallyworld or Target have them in 6 packs for cheap.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
I'm surprised at all the recommendations for "sports bars". Eat a Snickers if you guys want candy that bad, there isn't much difference just less soy in a Snickers.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
Not wanting anything to heavy either. If I eat anything heavy before I work out, I am sluggish. I like to do almonds before I go for the easy carbs.

mple

Oct 10, 2011
Not wanting anything to heavy either. If I eat anything heavy before I work out, I am sluggish. I like to do almonds before I go for the easy carbs.

You don't eat almonds for the carbs. They're pretty much all fat. For pre-workout I usually just eat a candy bar.

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007
Almonds have a high omega 6:3 ratio which isn't ideal. I don't know how picky you're being but that is something to consider.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
Almonds have a high omega 6:3 ratio which isn't ideal. I don't know how picky you're being but that is something to consider.

I dont eat that many, maybe half a cup a day. I also snack of beef jerky but am careful not to eat to much since store bought stuff is high in sodium. Ive never been the type to eat 6 meals a day and thats why I like just having a small something to munch on if my breakfast doesnt hold me over to lunch.

mple

Oct 10, 2011
I would consider half a cup of almonds daily to be a lot, but just make sure you balance it out with a good source of omega-3s

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I'm surprised at all the recommendations for "sports bars". Eat a Snickers if you guys want candy that bad, there isn't much difference just less soy in a Snickers.

Eh? There's a ton of difference, the "sports bar" I had for breakfast has about half the fat of a snickers, 1/3 the sugar, over 4x the protein and a bunch of vitamins. Outside of them both having chocolate there's literally nothing similar about them. The one I had didn't even have soy, it has a Whey Isolate. And on top of that the bar I ate will hold me over until lunch, which a Snickers wouldn't come close to doing.

Last edited:

ZOOYUKA

Platinum Member
Jan 24, 2005
Eh? There's a ton of difference, the "sports bar" I had for breakfast has about half the fat of a snickers, 1/3 the sugar, over 4x the protein and a bunch of vitamins. Outside of them both having chocolate there's literally nothing similar about them. The one I had didn't even have soy, it has a Whey Isolate. And on top of that the bar I ate will hold me over until lunch, which a Snickers wouldn't come close to doing.

That is all probably true, but what is the point of comparing bad to worse?