Smoking just one cannabis joint raises danger of mental illness by 40%

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Perry404
Actually anyone with a brain can see that mental illness from pot is immediate.
Ever talk to someone when they are stoned?

Same for alcohol or even someone who has been awake for 24 hours or more.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The other side benefit of pot is; On one hand someone on pot might say to someone else similarly influenced---hey man --like dude--I just thunk of this brilliant idea and that the world would be a better place if we just went out and stole all the toilet paper in the white house---like the place would literally overload if the shit had no outlet. And it might be a brilliant sounding idea at the time---but at least everyone suffering from this temporary insanity will also too stoned to put it into immediate action. And when the effects wear off, they will have those second thoughts.

And equally temporarily insane medical people delude themselves into thinking they can use dubious statistics and not have it come back on them. And then go out and do it without having those second thoughts. And now you tell us its the pot heads who are nuts---when its the difference between temporary and permanent irrationality. At least pot users can freely visit both worlds. And its quite evident that some study authors are lost in lala land without an excuse.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Lemon law
The other side benefit of pot is; On one hand someone on pot might say to someone else similarly influenced---hey man --like dude--I just thunk of this brilliant idea and that the world would be a better place if we just went out and stole all the toilet paper in the white house---like the place would literally overload if the shit had no outlet. And it might be a brilliant sounding idea at the time---but at least everyone suffering from this temporary insanity will also too stoned to put it into immediate action. And when the effects wear off, they will have those second thoughts.

And equally temporarily insane medical people delude themselves into thinking they can use dubious statistics and not have it come back on them. And then go out and do it without having those second thoughts. And now you tell us its the pot heads who are nuts---when its the difference between temporary and permanent irrationality. At least pot users can freely visit both worlds. And its quite evident that some study authors are lost in lala land without an excuse.

When I used to smoke up, my friends and I were perfectly aware how bizarre the ideas were(not always as they were stated, but within seconds afterwards). That was half the fun, you would put out some thought, then others would add to it, we'd all be in awe, someone points out some huge flaw in the premise, we all giggled.

It wasn't all bizarre or outlandish though. Many times serious conversations that were well thought out even by sober standards were common. The big difference between Sober Thought and High Thought doesn't necessarily lie in the Reasoning ability in the particular situation. The biggest difference is in the subject matter and intensity of interest. High persons are also just far more open to discuss things than Sober persons are. Whereas the High person wants to discuss just how freaking awesome a particular shade of Blue is, the Sober person lacks the equivalence of passion the High person has at that moment. The result is the Sober person gets a little weirded out and thinks there's something wrong with the High person. The Reality is that they are just on different planes of existence(temporarily at least).

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001

QFT

Anyone who thinks that long term use of a mind altering substance is 100% safe is just plain dumb. Even look at long term alcoholics. Even they suffer from brain damage.

I would have no problem with you toking up whenever you want if I didn't have to pay your crappy medial bills when things go wrong. So do us a favor, if you're going to get high all the time, at least be curteous enough to finish yourself off when your done so the rest of us don't have to suffer. I'm already sick of having to pay out of my taxes for idiotic alcoholics medical bill and have to watch out for them driving wrecklessly on the roads, I don't need your stoned @$$ out there contributing to the problem.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: XZeroII

QFT

Anyone who thinks that long term use of a mind altering substance is 100% safe is just plain dumb. Even look at long term alcoholics. Even they suffer from brain damage.

I would have no problem with you toking up whenever you want if I didn't have to pay your crappy medial bills when things go wrong. So do us a favor, if you're going to get high all the time, at least be curteous enough to finish yourself off when your done so the rest of us don't have to suffer. I'm already sick of having to pay out of my taxes for idiotic alcoholics medical bill and have to watch out for them driving wrecklessly on the roads, I don't need your stoned @$$ out there contributing to the problem.

You might want to spend some time unbunching your panties so maybe you can rant at the RIGHT people. Compared to virtually any other vice out there, pot is one of the safest and the least likely to cause medical problems. Obviously nothing is 100% safe, but pot is safer than alcohol, every other illegal drug out there, most prescription medicines, not getting enough exercise and fatty foods.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004

QFT

The problem is bigger than people know or want to admit. If you look at the deaths, violence and costs of the damage chemical's do on paper it rivals that of a major war every year. Now this is not to say that the "war on drugs" is the right way to go or that drugs should even be illegal. Only that the damage they do is astounding. The lies they tell people are cunning. They convince us that we are just using them for fun but the truth is we begin to become psychologically Dependant on them even before the physical addiction.
People who believe pot is harmless are wrong. Pot is a gateway drug. Period. Once you try it(of course because it's "safe") your fear of other drugs is diminished and because it feels good you are encouraged to try others. It's as simple as that. It's all a world of deception. You people that like chocolate cake...if they made chocolate cake illegal would you get all freaked out? Would you march in the streets to make it legal? No. You wouldn't waste your time. Neither would people if green beans were made illegal. Instead you would find something else to fill the chocolate cake or green bean void. Now pot...or other drugs...people feel the need to march in the streets over these plants. Why? Because they are hooked and can't let them go. Oh i'm sorry...they aren't hooked...they can quit whenever they want to. They just WANT to break the law and march in the streets.
Hey you with the buds in your pocket...what do you think that WANT is?
It's addiction creeping up on you.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: thraashman
I love how none of you have read the study, just a brief article on it. And you immediately come in to defend your buddy pot. Well I think we can guess who the pot smokers in ATPN are! I don't care what the study says in the end, I've seen enough of the effects of pot on people that I will never smoke it. I really don't want to end up as stupid as those people are.

..the same bunch of drugies are also eco-theists and believe any "sky is falling" voodoo science like algor's docufraud. I'll bet they were smoking dope while they watched his propaganda reel.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

QFT

The problem is bigger than people know or want to admit. If you look at the deaths, violence and costs of the damage chemical's do on paper it rivals that of a major war every year. Now this is not to say that the "war on drugs" is the right way to go or that drugs should even be illegal. Only that the damage they do is astounding. The lies they tell people are cunning. They convince us that we are just using them for fun but the truth is we begin to become psychologically Dependant on them even before the physical addiction.
People who believe pot is harmless are wrong. Pot is a gateway drug. Period. Once you try it(of course because it's "safe") your fear of other drugs is diminished and because it feels good you are encouraged to try others. It's as simple as that. It's all a world of deception. You people that like chocolate cake...if they made chocolate cake illegal would you get all freaked out? Would you march in the streets to make it legal? No. You wouldn't waste your time. Neither would people if green beans were made illegal. Instead you would find something else to fill the chocolate cake or green bean void. Now pot...or other drugs...people feel the need to march in the streets over these plants. Why? Because they are hooked and can't let them go. Oh i'm sorry...they aren't hooked...they can quit whenever they want to. They just WANT to break the law and march in the streets.

I'm beginning to think YOU'RE stoned here. The concept of a "gateway drug" is ludicrous, otherwise everyone who enjoys a beer before dinner would quickly become a heroin addict. Of course no drug (legal or otherwise) is without side effects, but nobody is arguing otherwise. But that doesn't mean they should all be illegal, or that it shouldn't be up to responsible adults to decide how to safely use drugs. This idea that pot is some sort of magical drug that turns otherwise normal people into raving addicts is silly. It's illegal because fighting pot is good politics, end of story.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: IGBT
I love how none of you have read the study, just a brief article on it. And you immediately come in to defend your buddy pot. Well I think we can guess who the pot smokers in ATPN are! I don't care what the study says in the end, I've seen enough of the effects of pot on people that I will never smoke it. I really don't want to end up as stupid as those people are.

..the same bunch of drugies are also eco-theists and believe any "sky is falling" voodoo science like algor's docufraud. I'll bet they were smoking dope while they watched his propaganda reel.

I don't do illegal drugs, but I think a lot of you conservatives could benefit from occasionally hitting the bong. If there is any group of people in the history of the world that needs to calm the fvck down, it you jokers.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: IGBT

No, I think it was Bush who was whacked out on Cocaine when he found the Lord and went on to be a hero among the anti drug chump change.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
We only get offended when those things we hold dear are criticized, I will stick to criticizing cigarettes since few are offended because no-one in their right mind would be defending them.;)

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Rainsford

QFT

I'm beginning to think YOU'RE stoned here. The concept of a "gateway drug" is ludicrous, otherwise everyone who enjoys a beer before dinner would quickly become a heroin addict. Of course no drug (legal or otherwise) is without side effects, but nobody is arguing otherwise. But that doesn't mean they should all be illegal, or that it shouldn't be up to responsible adults to decide how to safely use drugs. This idea that pot is some sort of magical drug that turns otherwise normal people into raving addicts is silly. It's illegal because fighting pot is good politics, end of story.

The argument for alcohol cannot prevail in that case because a majority of the public has been brainwashed into believing that alcohol is not a drug.
I'm sure you are already aware that a great deal of Americans think alcohol=ok drugs=bad.
The truth is that kids/people smoke pot and because they enjoy it and their fear of other drugs is diminished. Really it's a simple concept. The whole reason it is a gateway drug is because so many claim it is "safe".

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: 1prophet
We only get offended when those things we hold dear are criticized, I will stick to criticizing cigarettes since few are offended because no-one in their right mind would be defending them.;)

I'll defend the right of people to smoke cigarettes.. I personally am a non-smoker from a family of non-smokers.... but that is a different turkey all together...

There is clear data that cigarettes are bad for your body in numerous ways and yet they are still legal... The only "evidence" we ever hear questioning the safety of marijuana are these psuedo-conclusions.. they make a carefully worded claim and is then supported by well processed statistics... It is becoming the trend in all medical research in the west... It is why China and Japan are making leaps and bounds in medical research while Americans are repackaging questionably-effective diabetes drugs as Alzheimer's medication and advertising the hell out of penis humonging pills.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
I can not find the person I wanted to quote ... but here is the report I was looking for...

It deals with the tendency of schizophrenic individuals to self medicate with drugs and alcohol prior to discovery of symptoms by professionals..

In other words... There is a scientifically acceptable correlation between alcoholism and drug dependency associated with mental health issues such as schizophrenia. Wonder if the reason the researches found so many people who were schizophrenic and had smoked marijuana prior to being diagnosis is due to the fact that while developing the symptoms and the delusions they "self medicated" with alcohol and drug use...

Now lets use logic here... did alcohol and drugs cause schizophrenia... or did the mind fuck that is developing schizophrenia cause them to seek alcohol and drugs...

source: Text

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Rainsford

QFT

The argument for alcohol cannot prevail in that case because a majority of the public has been brainwashed into believing that alcohol is not a drug.
I'm sure you are already aware that a great deal of Americans think alcohol=ok drugs=bad.
The truth is that kids/people smoke pot and because they enjoy it and their fear of other drugs is diminished. Really it's a simple concept. The whole reason it is a gateway drug is because so many claim it is "safe".

..dopers continually miss the point in drug education. The problem is the desire to intoxicate. Not the intoxicant.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
..dopers continually miss the point in drug education. The problem is the desire to intoxicate. Not the intoxicant.

True. It is a form of blindness.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

Marijuana causes blindness! ... I think you have a thesis!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

wow, just wow. Both of you guys are way out there on this subject.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: yllus
I always find this kind of post nonsensical. What do you expect to happen on a Web forum, people to post an article about a study and 50 people to reply with, "Interesting, I shall reserve comment until I read the full study"?

Based on historical evidence (anecdotal and not) this is extremely dubious. Smoking one joint jumps the danger level by a full 40%? Okay, let's go by another study saying that 16.8 per cent of Canadians used marijuana in 2004, and only 6.1 per cent in Holland did the same. But Canada has an incidence rate of mental illness of 22.10%, and Holland a rate of 22.10% (Source). Why didn't those ~5 million Canadians who smoked at least once hugely spike our rate of mental illness.

Lastly, what an idiotic thing to end your post with. I don't do any kind of drug. I don't even like beer. I don't have to be a KKK member to defend their right to think and say what they wish to say.

Might be ownage of the year.

Well no, ownage of the year would include thraash working for the govt and getting fired somehow through actions of the users in this thread.

But still, its up there :p

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: sandorski

As if it needed to be stated...the blindness to which i refer is called denial.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
You know who you are!!

Damn straight!

You, however, are monumentally clueless.

:music: There's something happening, but you don't know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones. :music:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Proud, one brain cell boy?

Working that one cell overtime, eh? Don't sprain your one cell brain!

I myself have more than one brain cell.

They help, immeasurably, in the cognitive process.

Of course, you're just gonna' have to trust me on that. :p

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Chimps and humans and other animals have been self-medicating for millions of years.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski

As if it needed to be stated...the blindness to which i refer is called denial.

Denial of the Lies perpetuated by the Clueless. Practically every "reason" used by the Anti-Drug crowd are outright Lies or Half-Truths. Then you jump in with the worst of all, the "Gateway" myth. If you seriously are against Drugs. Then you need a song and dance much more related to Reality, because that old schtick has been ineffective for Decades. You may as well be saying Pot gives you Cooties.

Just learn and tell the truth. At least people will respect your honesty.