Smokers vs Non-Smokers Cost on Society

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: SunnyD
A Dutch study published last year in the Public Library of Science Medicine journal said that health care costs for smokers were about $326,000 from age 20 on, compared to about $417,000 for thin and healthy people.

The reason: The thin, healthy people lived much longer.

Their conclusion is flawed. Thin and healthy people lived much longer and thus were more productive through their entire lifetime, therefore providing more benefit (financial?) to themselves, the economy, etc. The number they state would/should be offset by this factor, making this argument severely flawed.

We are talking about post retirement years. Not productive pre-retirement years.

That's where your argument falls apart. The last ten years of life are a drain when someone is chronically aged, less so when someone is productive until a catastrophic smoking illness takes their lives.

Are we? Really? God, I'd love to have retired at age 20. :roll:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
A Dutch study published last year in the Public Library of Science Medicine journal said that health care costs for smokers were about $326,000 from age 20 on, compared to about $417,000 for thin and healthy people.

Their conclusion is flawed. Thin and healthy people lived much longer and thus were more productive through their entire lifetime, therefore providing more benefit (financial?) to themselves, the economy, etc. The number they state would/should be offset by this factor, making this argument severely flawed.

We are talking about post retirement years. Not productive pre-retirement years.

That's where your argument falls apart. The last ten years of life are a drain when someone is chronically aged, less so when someone is productive until a catastrophic smoking illness takes their lives.

LOL!!! You're misreading his point.

His point is LIFETIME medical costs as an ADULT.

Smoking kills people late. On average, the life expectancy of a smoker is 10 years less than a non-smoker.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

Smoking kills people late. On average, the life expectancy of a smoker is 10 years less than a non-smoker.

Smoking killed my mother at 53 years old (many years after she had quit). Hardly "post retirement". I know several people that have had lung cancer or emphysema in their 40's and 50's due to smoking. I don't call that late, I call that middle aged. And how do you measure productivity anyway? You realize there is a far greater number of retirees continuing employment past 65 years old than ever? And that's only one form of productivity. The fact is the study focuses on "age 20 on", not "post-retirement".

I'm not misreading any points, I'm creating educated conclusions based on the facts presented before me. There is simply a staggering amount if information missing. Now if the study put into results the average cost spread over years of life, I bet we'd see a far different cost picture. Amortize that ~100k over the additional 20 or so years, and I bet our smoker friends end up costing more per year of their life than the non-smokers do, especially when you correlate it to their productivity. But then again, they decided that wasn't important in their study.

That's the problem with studies like this - there's always a way to spin it one way or another.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Here's a huge gaping hole in that study:

People who stay healthier and live longer are more productive members of society. They provide more benefit to the economy than a smoker in a hospital bed dying prematurely of cancer.

Furthermore, it doesn't even address second-hand smoke.

Why else do you think the word "MAY" was used so prominently in the title.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: NFS4
So, smokers are still disgusting and they smell like shit :)

So do bums, should be ban them as well??????

Now that you mention it...

I might as well treat smokers as bums. No smoking in my house, no smoking in my car, I don't hang out with people that are smokers or go in restaurants that cater to smokers.

Second-hand smoke = disgusting

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
who cares, smokers are still annoying as hell.

i hate nothing more then getting cleaned and dressed up to go to a bar or comedy club, then afterwards smelling like absolute crap

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton

People who stay healthier and live longer are more productive members of society. They provide more benefit to the economy than a smoker in a hospital bed dying prematurely of cancer.

Should have read the thread.

Especially the part where people pointed out those living longer do so POST retirement and in the Medicare/Social Security ages thus costing more, and producing nothing.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

None of those have any bearing on insurance rates. Smokers cost less in insurance payouts (on average). This means that, on average, smokers should pay less for insurance than thin, healthy people.

The other "benefits to society" from longer life are difficult, if not impossible, to quantify in monetary terms. As far as insurance payments go, it's pretty clear that, on average, smokers cost insurance companies less money overall.

ZV

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

None of those have any bearing on insurance rates. Smokers cost less in insurance payouts (on average). This means that, on average, smokers should pay less for insurance than thin, healthy people.

The other "benefits to society" from longer life are difficult, if not impossible, to quantify in monetary terms. As far as insurance payments go, it's pretty clear that, on average, smokers cost insurance companies less money overall.

ZV

FTA:

Dr. Terry Pechacek, the CDC associate director for science in the office on smoking and health, said that data seeking to quantify economic benefits of smoking couldn't capture all the benefits associated with longevity, like a grandparent's contribution to a family. Because of such uncertainties the CDC won't put a price tag on savings from smoking.

ZV is correct. Under the current model, healthier people do have to pay more for insurance. But just because we can't measure the contributions of retirees in financial terms doesn't mean they aren't there. I would bet that through volunteering, interpersonal relationships, etc., the spin-off effects of their "productivity" could offset their additional health care costs.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Smoking killed my mother at 53 years old (many years after she had quit). Hardly "post retirement". I know several people that have had lung cancer or emphysema in their 40's and 50's due to smoking. I don't call that late, I call that middle aged. And how do you measure productivity anyway? You realize there is a far greater number of retirees continuing employment past 65 years old than ever? And that's only one form of productivity. The fact is the study focuses on "age 20 on", not "post-retirement".

I'm not misreading any points, I'm creating educated conclusions based on the facts presented before me. There is simply a staggering amount if information missing. Now if the study put into results the average cost spread over years of life, I bet we'd see a far different cost picture. Amortize that ~100k over the additional 20 or so years, and I bet our smoker friends end up costing more per year of their life than the non-smokers do, especially when you correlate it to their productivity. But then again, they decided that wasn't important in their study.

That's the problem with studies like this - there's always a way to spin it one way or another.

:thumbsup: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot
one day we will figure out the fairest, most logical, economical and efficient method will be for people to pay for the services they use

Then how would the insurance companies profit!!!!!!?????!!!!!

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
So let me guess, we should give cigarette companies a tax break for sending more Americans to an early grave?

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
People who die early save society money in health care, social security, retirement, and nursing homes costs.

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot
one day we will figure out the fairest, most logical, economical and efficient method will be for people to pay for the services they use

Or just kill them when they hit 65 years old. Mandatory euthanization unless government deems you to be worth more than your drain on society.

-edit-
My tongue is firmly in cheek but this is the logical step and conclusion for people that try to use healtcare costs to impose social and governmental policy.

sounds like something Johnathan Swift would write if he were alive today.