Smokers vs Non-Smokers Cost on Society

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: dullard
It is NOT a repost
Lets look at what was posted yesterday:

Originally posted by: TheBloodguard
A Dutch study published last year in the Public Library of Science Medicine journal said that health care costs for smokers were about $326,000 from age 20 on, compared to about $417,000 for thin and healthy people.

And what was posted today:

A Dutch study published last year in the Public Library of Science Medicine journal said that health care costs for smokers were about $326,000 from age 20 on, compared to about $417,000 for thin and healthy people.

You even bolded the exact same words. At least you could have put that in the original thread if you have an article with a bit more text.

Sorry for your mistake.
I hereby nominate Amuse for the 2009 self-ownage of the year award.

Oops, I thought it was a year old article on the dutch study alone.

My mistake.

Owned.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
This just in, not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle costs society less money than those who wear them. Let's repeal seatbelt laws too while we're at it! Because when more people die, we all win!

Why is it YOUR business to protect others from themselves? Who appointed you mother?

It's MY business becuase your smoking in public places affects my enjoyment of those places by tainting them with disgusting smells and dangerous smoke to my lungs.

It's MY business because countless smokers decided the world was their ashtray and toss their butts onto public sidewalks, gutters and parkways.

Smoking is simply a disgusting habit that people pick up for the simple fact to "look cool" with not a simple redeeming quality behind it.

I am SOOO happy they jacked up the taxes again. Keep them coming.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Vanderbilt University economist Kip Viscusi studied the net costs of smoking-related spending and savings and found that for every pack of cigarettes smoked, the country reaps a net cost savings of 32 cents.

Yeah, that's because the country taxes the shit out of cigs now. Before the major shift and a pack was dirt cheap, that sentence would read something like "the country has a net cost of...".

The reason: The thin, healthy people lived much longer.

Their conclusion is flawed. Thin and healthy people lived much longer and thus were more productive through their entire lifetime, therefore providing more benefit (financial?) to themselves, the economy, etc. The number they state would/should be offset by this factor, making this argument severely flawed.

We are talking about post retirement years. Not productive pre-retirement years.

That's where your argument falls apart. The last ten years of life are a drain when someone is chronically aged, less so when someone is productive until a catastrophic smoking illness takes their lives.

So, your solution is to give them cigarettes and have them smoke themselves to death? Why not just march the elderly into detention centers before they reach that point and make soylent green burgers out of them?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
This just in, not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle costs society less money than those who wear them. Let's repeal seatbelt laws too while we're at it! Because when more people die, we all win!

I'm on board with this.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Vanderbilt University economist Kip Viscusi studied the net costs of smoking-related spending and savings and found that for every pack of cigarettes smoked, the country reaps a net cost savings of 32 cents.

Yeah, that's because the country taxes the shit out of cigs now. Before the major shift and a pack was dirt cheap, that sentence would read something like "the country has a net cost of...".

Their conclusion is flawed. Thin and healthy people lived much longer and thus were more productive through their entire lifetime, therefore providing more benefit (financial?) to themselves, the economy, etc. The number they state would/should be offset by this factor, making this argument severely flawed.

We are talking about post retirement years. Not productive pre-retirement years.

That's where your argument falls apart. The last ten years of life are a drain when someone is chronically aged, less so when someone is productive until a catastrophic smoking illness takes their lives.

So, your solution is to give them cigarettes and have them smoke themselves to death? Why not just march the elderly into detention centers before they reach that point and make soylent green burgers out of them?

I think his solution is to let people make their own damned decisions.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Who said it was a "solution" to anything?

It is my argument against bans/limits/taxes" It is my argument against authoritarian laws.

Sorry the idea of freedom and letting people do what they want with their own bodies is so alien to you that you equate that idea with Nazi death camps and sci-fi atrocities.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Homerboy

Why is it YOUR business to protect others from themselves? Who appointed you mother?

It's MY business becuase your smoking in public places affects my enjoyment of those places by tainting them with disgusting smells and dangerous smoke to my lungs.

It's MY business because countless smokers decided the world was their ashtray and toss their butts onto public sidewalks, gutters and parkways.

Smoking is simply a disgusting habit that people pick up for the simple fact to "look cool" with not a simple redeeming quality behind it.

Argument fail: I see beer cans and bottles by the roadside all the time (sometimes even in my yard--I damn sure didn't put them there). And candy wrappers. And newspapers, etc...

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Using costs gets us to all kinds of odd conclusions. For example, capital punishment is a much cheaper way to handle murderers than long-term incarceration. In fact, considering the recidivism rate among most criminals, a major expansion of using the death penalty would really reduce our prison costs!

All the arguments above illustrate that, while costs are a useful type of information in making decisions, they also are quite unreliable. So why do we do it all the time? In part, because it has become a cultural norm in a supposedly business-oriented free market society to consider dollar numbers as really important. And in part because we're lazy. It is pretty easy to quantify most things in terms of dollars spent and earned, wasted or saved. Gets you an number quickly. But how do you put a number on the value of the existence (vs. death = non existence) of a person, to other people or to the greater society? How do you quantify "quality of life" for a sick or an elderly person with disorders that affect their daily lifestyle? You probably can't assign those numbers, and we are so dependent on hard numbers to justify decisions that cannot be challenged, that we will use the numbers available, no matter how questionable, and we will ignore other types of non-quantifiable information.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

You know what happens when the people get to tax and ban things they don't like? Pretty soon, something you favor will fall under their axe.

What will you do when it's your bull getting gored?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Paperdoc
Using costs gets us to all kinds of odd conclusions. For example, capital punishment is a much cheaper way to handle murderers than long-term incarceration. In fact, considering the recidivism rate among most criminals, a major expansion of using the death penalty would really reduce our prison costs!

All the arguments above illustrate that, while costs are a useful type of information in making decisions, they also are quite unreliable. So why do we do it all the time? In part, because it has become a cultural norm in a supposedly business-oriented free market society to consider dollar numbers as really important. And in part because we're lazy. It is pretty easy to quantify most things in terms of dollars spent and earned, wasted or saved. Gets you an number quickly. But how do you put a number on the value of the existence (vs. death = non existence) of a person, to other people or to the greater society? How do you quantify "quality of life" for a sick or an elderly person with disorders that affect their daily lifestyle? You probably can't assign those numbers, and we are so dependent on hard numbers to justify decisions that cannot be challenged, that we will use the numbers available, no matter how questionable, and we will ignore other types of non-quantifiable information.

"Cost to society" is the driving forced behind the extreme taxation and much of the laws on tobacco use.

Let's face facts, the majority could care less if people die from smoking. It's the idea that they are paying more for their care that makes the majority want to punish the minority here.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Their conclusion is flawed. Thin and healthy people lived much longer and thus were more productive through their entire (longer) lifetime, therefore providing more benefit (financial?) to themselves, the economy, etc. The number they state would/should be offset by this factor, making this argument severely flawed.

Not really. They don't produce much after 65.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: nakedfrog

Well, when it comes to seatbelts, motorcycle helmets and smoking people often make the wrong decisions.

Again, I have no problem making smoking seem like a bad decision through legislation and higher taxes. I have no problem with cops writing tickets to people not wearing seatbelts or helmets. Society is trying to change people's habits and guess what? It's working!

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Well, when it comes to seatbelts, motorcycle helmets and smoking people often make the wrong decisions.

Again, I have no problem making smoking seem like a bad decision through legislation and higher taxes. I have no problem with cops writing tickets to people not wearing seatbelts or helmets. Society is trying to change people's habits and guess what? It's working!

Wrong according to YOU. Who are you to dictate what others do with their bodies?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

You know what happens when the people get to tax and ban things they don't like? Pretty soon, something you favor will fall under their axe.

Ah, the slippery slope argument...right on schedule too. :thumbsup:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Paperdoc

It's my understanding that the appeals process tends to make those sentenced to death actually more expensive than just letting them rot for decades. I don't have any hard figures on that for you, though.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Wrong according to YOU. Who are you to dictate what others do with their bodies?

Psst, let me let you in on a little secret, it's not ME. I just said I don't oppose it, and I really don't. :p

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Fast food, risky hobbies, living in highly polluted areas, etc.

So when society is trying to change people's habits and you agree with them, it's cool, but when society elects a GWB or goes on a years-long SUV buying binge... ;)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Amused, congrats for creating yet another heated debate thread. Your reputation for this is nothing short of legendary. ;)

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Ah, the slippery slope argument...right on schedule too. :thumbsup:

An extremely valid argument, especially when it comes to authoritarian laws.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Amused, congrats for creating yet another heated debate thread. Your reputation for this is nothing short of legendary. ;)

I know. :)

Hey, it's better than mindless neffing, right?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Fast food, risky hobbies, living in highly polluted areas, etc.

So when society is trying to change people's habits and you agree with them, it's cool, but when society elects a GWB or goes on a years-long SUV buying binge... ;)

Oh believe me, I hate stupid legislation. This is not stupid legislation though. Not in my opinion. ;)

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Haha.. that's awesome.

So whats next? People will start saying that smoking is a form of population control? ;)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Their conclusion is flawed. Thin and healthy people lived much longer and thus were more productive through their entire (longer) lifetime, therefore providing more benefit (financial?) to themselves, the economy, etc. The number they state would/should be offset by this factor, making this argument severely flawed.

I think that is a leap. Are you assuming these people work past retirement? If not they are a drain on the system each year they are living past being a "productive" member of society.