Smoked headlights in Michigan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ghost recon88, Aug 31, 2009.

1. ghost recon88

ghost recon88 Diamond Member

Hey, I just bought a pair of smoked headlights for my Mustang without first looking up Michigan law on them. Turns out if I have smoked headlights installed, my normal beams need to be able to show at least 100 ft, and with my "high-beams" on 350 ft. These are the ones I got (gotta live Bing cashback :D). Anyhow, I was planning on getting halogens before I even considered smoked, but now that I have smoked will halogens be necessary to keep them legal? Also if I do need halogens, can anyone recommend a certain make or model I should consider for a 96 mustang?

2. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Diamond Member

I don't know, but smoked taillights/headlights are cop magnets. Painted headlights look 100 x better imo.

3. ghost recon88

Hmm, it's going on a black car so I didn't want to get solid black. I'm not that hood :p More or less going for this look.

4. Vette73

Vette73 Lifer

Your car already has halogen bulbs. If you do not know that then you do not need to be putting blackout headlights on it.

And yes you will get pulled and a ticket.

5. ghost recon88

OK, let me rephrase that, is it possible to get an HID setup to go with the smoked headlights?

Edit: Found out they are DOT/SAE certified, so I should be in the clear right?

6. BassBomb

BassBomb Diamond Member

just blackhouse your headlights

tinting the lense would simply ruin your output no matter what HID setup you had

also, don't put HID bulbs into halogen reflectors

7. ChaosDivine

ChaosDivine Senior member

+infinity. Either go full bore (sending your headlights to be modded with projectors by someone like LightWurkz) or stick with HIRs or higher output bulbs like Nokyas, Hoens, Silverstars, etc.