Smoke and CO detector distance from gas range

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
My home is open concept and we have hard wired smoke and CO detectors installed in our entryway, which opens up to the kitchen. We have a gas furnace closet by the entryway so I'm assuming they installed the detectors there to be close to the furnace. We also have a gas range in our kitchen. The builders did not install any smoke or CO detectors in the kitchen. The entryway ones are probably 20 ft. away from my gas range. This has always bothered me as its possible there could be CO or smoke from a kitchen fire and the alarm might not go off right away. I want to install a detector in my kitchen but I'm worried about it going off all the time if I make stir fry or deglaze a pan. How close is your nearest smoke detector from your range?

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
We have an electric kitchen stove, so CO detection from that source is nil. But the nearest smoke detector is in a hallway leading from the kitchen to the front door, with about 12 - 15 ft distance from stove to detector. If we scorch some oil or meat in a pan in the kitchen, enough that one can see a faint haze of smoke spreading though the air, the smoke detector WILL go off. A minor inconvenience. But the real issue becomes: after I have pulled the battery from the smoke detector to quiet it, I have a hard time remebering to replace that an hour late.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
My home is open concept and we have hard wired smoke and CO detectors installed in our entryway, which opens up to the kitchen. We have a gas furnace closet by the entryway so I'm assuming they installed the detectors there to be close to the furnace. We also have a gas range in our kitchen. The builders did not install any smoke or CO detectors in the kitchen. The entryway ones are probably 20 ft. away from my gas range. This has always bothered me as its possible there could be CO or smoke from a kitchen fire and the alarm might not go off right away. I want to install a detector in my kitchen but I'm worried about it going off all the time if I make stir fry or deglaze a pan. How close is your nearest smoke detector from your range?
Smoke and C0 detectors aren't required in kitchens because of nuance alarms. There is no set distance as that's going to be affected by what's burning, how good the hood is, shape of the room, and ceiling height.

Reactions: herm0016

ASK THE COMMUNITY