Smile...you're on Candid Camera! *cha-ching*

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Some guy was made to ride thru a fake x-ray machine at an airport, where he got a bruise and was poked with a pen. So, like any red-blooded American, he's suing the show.
rolleye.gif

CourtTV.com doesn't say anything about it, but the guy already got $95,000 from the airport, CourtTV said this afternoon.

link to story

Edit: A pre-appeals amount of $300,000 was awarded to the guy. Funt and the show are to each fork over $150,000.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Reality shows are starting to get a little out of hand, but come on: have a sense of humor! Perhaps this guy should put his ego aside, accept the humiliation, and laugh at his own stupidity. America is too "sue-happy" for it's own good. Soon, people won't even leave their homes because it will be impossible to be in public without receving a lawsuite.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
"This was forcing someone to do something he didn't want to do," said Jones. "It was an attempt to humiliate [Zelnick] openly, so that people could laugh at him on TV, for personal profit and gain."
I agree. If you want to humiliate or scare someone nearly to death without their consent for your profit and gain at their expense, then its only fair that you should give them a cut of those profits. If they have to sue to be 'cut in', then so be it. Some of these 'fooled ya' shows are going way too far, bordering on cruelty.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I think $395,000 is a little much for a bruise and a poke. Hell, I've heard people will actually pay for a bruise and a poke. ;)

BTW, "nearly to death" are your words. ;)

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Gaard
I think $395,000 is a little much for a bruise and a poke. Hell, I've heard people will actually pay for a bruise and a poke. ;)

If after the cameras stopped rolling, they made a habit of saying:

"We're sorry for any trouble we may have caused and hope that you can have as much fun with this as we hoped you would. Here's $25,000 for your troubles and for taking this in good stride."

It would dramatically reduce the likelihood that those who otherwise might have an inkling to sue would actually do so. A lot of conflict in the world could be reduced by the sincere use of two little words: "I'm sorry."

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

I would love to see you being this lighthearted after going through something similar.

Some of these shows are really going too far.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Did the guy even want to be on the show? Its pretty stupid for $350,000, but if I got poked....damn $350,000 is alot of money and its hard to not get lawyer.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Orsorum

I would love to see you being this lighthearted after going through something similar.

Some of these shows are really going too far.

It doesn't look like the other people who 'went thru this' have a problem with it. Must be just the bruise and the poke. That brings up an interesting question...do you suppose the others could get money if they decided to sue, even though they weren't injured? (If you can call a bruise and a poke as being injured)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: tcsenter

If after the cameras stopped rolling, they made a habit of saying:

"We're sorry for any trouble we may have caused and hope that you can have as much fun with this as we hoped you would. Here's $25,000 for your troubles and for taking this in good stride."

It would dramatically reduce the likelihood that those who otherwise might have an inkling to sue would actually do so. A lot of conflict in the world could be reduced by the sincere use of two little words: "I'm sorry."

Agreed.