SMH: Pence announces Space Force will be called "Guardians"... Seriously..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
As I’ve said this is the right idea and the right time to start setting aside a group for space. I really don’t think it is a bad idea
HOWEVER
Like all things with this administration there appears to be no goal, no plan and it appears to be crafted for the exclusive purpose of looking cool. I mean look at all the lazy names and badges and terms they’ve lifted from Hollywood.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Out of curiosity, when did that term acquire a negative meaning? Seems like the use as a mild insult goes back to the 1950s at least.

I agree that "spacers" might be the least-awful option. But the whole idea seems a pointless gimmick.

probably because it's been used to describe potheads

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
probably because it's been used to describe potheads

Well, yes, but that's kind-of my question - when and why did it start to be used in that way? Just wondered if there was one particular source that kicked off that use of the term. Not that it matters, really.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Well... it's better than calling them space cadets, I guess.

I would have gone with Space Marines myself... give it a good Alien vibe.

If you are referring to the film "Aliens", they were called Colonial Marines.

aliens_vasquez_01.jpg

Last edited:

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Well, yes, but that's kind-of my question - when and why did it start to be used in that way? Just wondered if there was one particular source that kicked off that use of the term. Not that it matters, really.
probably 60s or 70s

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
As a gamer, this is what I think of when I see Guardians in space:

hunt_screenshot_3.jpg

Sadly, it's not nearly as cool as Destiny... it's just an attempt to spice up space efforts for a dying administration.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Who concocted this farce to begin with? Did DOD want it? Or was it all The Don?

My first thought would be to abolish it my first day in office.
I'm pretty sure this started with one of Trump's rambling, weird vomit rally speeches. People then made fun of him for it, so he had to do it to prove everyone wrong.

It's a stupid branch that should be killed day one by Biden.

Reactions: Pohemi

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm pretty sure this started with one of Trump's rambling, weird vomit rally speeches. People then made fun of him for it, so he had to do it to prove everyone wrong.

It's a stupid branch that should be killed day one by Biden.

Honestly, Space Force isn't a horrible idea. Someone needs to protect that new Starlink broadband network that SpaceX is deploying from Chinese and Russian disruption.

If anything, the US is behind the curve on this one. China and Russia are already developing offensive space weapons for disrupting satellite communications.

Hell, I might even go one better, and recommend a "Cyber Force" branch spinoff from the Air Force for securing the nations IT infrastructure. Nation state sponsored hacking is the new 21st century threat that really isn't getting as much attention as it should. Hell, just look at that Solarwinds breach from a few days ago, and how many companies got caught off guard against that one.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
If Trump had anything to do with this, it's pretty much tainted in ways that's irredeemable. Trump has inextricably associated his name with negative descriptives ie- hoax, scammer, moron, useful idiot, incompetent, LIAR, coward, draft dodger, adulterer, Putin's stooge, morally and ethically barren, The Transactionalist, psychologically damaged, manchild, etc etc etc.

Point being, Trump has, purely by name association, despoiled the creation of, naming of, purpose of and usefulness of said "Force". From the way it was presented to the nation by Trump and from his claiming credit for its inception all the way to the logical assumption of using this "Force" as a prop from which to prove what a "stable genius" he is, Trump has in many ways relegated the "Space Force" into a cubby hole Trump designed and built for himself, just like that alternate reality he and his supporters are living in where among other fantasies that he's had to concoct to justify and legitimize his presidency, "the election got stolen from him".