SmartGart says all AGP settings are disabled

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/sm8000/smartgart.jpg

This is after two uninstalls/cleanups/reinstalls of Catalyst 7.10, the second time I did everything I could in Safe Mode.

As an afterthought I tried disabling those PCI settings but that didn't change the AGP settings. I also have these things enabled in the BIOS, with the transfer speed changed from Auto to 8x.

Is it possible that these things are not being reported correctly? Is there a tool which will allow me to see whether these things are enabled? Is it even that important?

Also, is it related to my problem in this thread:

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...id=33&threadid=2119675

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
I had a similar problem. You need to post your computer specs for one thing. However, check your capacitors on your motherboard- you might notice some of them bulging and leaking. This turned out to be my problem.

Another possibility is if you have a VIA chipset- they had some AGP issues back in the day.

edit: but seeing that you had an AGP video card in there before, I am guessing the chipset isn't the problem.. although it could be a chipset driver problem if the smartgart got messed up or something.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Yeah, it's the chipset driver. I had this back when I had a 9600. Reinstalling the driver fixed it. Not a big deal.

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
Thanks, I never thought about the chipset drivers and I did upgrade from a 9600. This is a SiS 748 system. I will try reinstalling the chipset drivers in the next day or two.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Also flashing your mobo BIOS to the latest version might be a good idea too.

SniperDaws

Aug 14, 2007
ok, it could be that you have Fast writes disabled in your bios, once thats truned on your should be set.