Smartfish ErgoMotion Mouse & Keyboard information please

BarneyBadass

Sep 14, 2007
Has anyone seen / used these products from

http://www.getsmartfish.com/products-mouse.php

They have an interesting mouse and keyboard and I'm really curious about how well they work. Considering I know so many people that are afflicted with RSI (Repetitive Stress Injuries) in the wrist, hand and the such (Carpel Tunnel) I'm wondering if anyone seen these or used them in practice and can lend some personal experience or better a good honest review.

No, I don't expect these are for gaming... not that kind of quality.

So any user information would be greatly appreciated.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
With a low post count and a well-worded product placement, this post sounds like advertising. But for the sake of discussion -

Looks like a neat mouse. A guy at my work got an Evoluent mouse:

http://www.evoluent.com/

The Evoluent looks even more ergonomic because your hand isn't twisted flat. With the Smartfish ErgoMotion mouse, you are still twisting your hand, and you are still required to move your arm AND your wrist. I personally didn't care for the Evoluent, but my co-worker seemed to like it. I used to have a trackball, but those are just too slow & inaccurate.

So far, the best ergonomic mouse I've used is Logitech's VX Revolution mouse. It's lightweight (unlike their second-generation Marathon mouse) and is a fingertip mouse (laptop-size), instead of a palm-mouse like most of the full-size mice on the market. My wrist pain disappeared after getting a VX Revolution.

I saw the keyboard awhile ago and it looks interesting. I use an Microsoft Natural 4000 right now and it's pretty great. The rest of my wrist pain disappeared with this keyboard. So between the MS 4000 and Logitech VX, I have zero wrist pain. I used to work on computers for 14-16 hours a day and had really bad wrist pain until I went with this particular combo of mouse/keyboard.

Also, having your monitor at the correct level helps a bunch, especially with upper shoulder & neck pain. I use an Ergotron desk arm to get it at the proper level (top of the monitor a few inches above my eyeline):

http://www.ergotron.com/LXArm/tabid/65/language/en-US/default.aspx?FID=101

I haven't really found desks or chairs to make much of a difference as far as ergonomics go. Maybe if you have a really crappy chair, but just make sure your feet touch the ground, that's about it.

BarneyBadass

Sep 14, 2007
Kaido,

Sorry to disappoint you but this is nothing but an honest request for information.

As I said, I know numerous people having RSI using keyboards / rodents for work and the such I was looking to see if these actually could / would reduce / relieve the pain and preclude (or at least defer) re-injury.

If I could get some good independent reviews on the product and they were positive, I might consider getting a rodent & keyboard and passing it around & providing one of each for my friends they help.

But... I'm not really interested in getting one of these if they are just rubbish... from what little I can find on the product, I can't seem to come to any real conclusion on the likely effectiveness of the product and was just hoping someone here might have tried one and could lend a hand with some information.

After all, $200 is nothing to sneeze at for a keyboard & rodent..... especially if it's just rubbish.

BTW, thanks for the link to the other mouse... I'd not seen that one before either... it does look interesting to say the least... I did actually get one of their roll up keyboards and was woefully disappointed with it's performance. One needed to hit the keys literally with enough force to break whatever was beneath the keyboard to get the key to be recognized.... nice concept but for me, the keyboard was just rubbish.

---Barney

Last edited: