SMART Status Bad. Need Help

helenaadalni

Jul 3, 2015
I am receiving the "S.M.A.R.T Status BAD...". Press F1 to see more details. I know that it is related to hard-disk. I want to ask that is it okay to use the hard drive, if the Smart error is showing continuously???.

Look for serious answers. Thanks for your help in advance.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Welcome to the forums, helenaadalni. :)

The S.M.A.R.T system has detected a potential drive failure. Back up all of your data, now. Better yet, use good cloning software to clone the drive to a new one.

Cloning a drive does more than backup your files. It creates another drive that is a fully bootable, functional clone of the original drive. If/when your drive fails or becomes irreparably infected, you can replace the damaged drive, and it will boot with all of your installed programs working as you had them. Of course, this is only as good as your most recent clone so keep it up to date, and sweep it for viruses, spyware, etc. before cloning.

I like EaseUS Todo Backup Free. Works well and, as the name indicates, it's free. :cool:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
On my system you can't boot with a failing hd attached. That message is telling you to replace the drive so transfer the data to a new drive. I've found that failing drives will work in a powered usb dock which I use to run it long enough to move the data to another drive.