Smart Placement in PerfectDisk

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Hi.

I simply adore Perfect Disk (I still have platter drives), always have. I love how it precludes fragmentation ongoing, I like all its options and also its GUI.

I am also a little addicted to Smart Placement:sneaky:.....it makes me happy to see everything distilling and lining up neatly. I think it helps the drives. So, I use it around once a week.

But I am also not sure this is a healthy addiction. I read somewhere a while back, that using Smart Placement stresses the drives.o_O

Thank you for feedback on this.
Edit: I am delving, and just found this cool interview with a RAXO principal from 09 re version 10, I have current. Am listening to it right now in Winamp, and it's really nice. All VERY POSITIVE stuff, but still not sure if Smart placement stresses the drives.
http://www.lets-talk-computers.net/guests/raxco/perfect_disk_10_a/

Bob, the Raxo guy says using consolidation re free space speeds up writes. We get just defragging speeds up read time.

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
been using it for years, nothing beats PerfectDisk

YAY!!!!!!:D

Are u addicted to Smart Placement?:sneaky: Please use the link I just put up in an edit and listen to BOB FROM RAXCO.
He addresses Smart placement (and Stealth Patrol, etc) and it sounds all AMAZING.....SO, if it stresses the drives a little, maybe that is MOOT. I TRUST BOB. Even tho I just discovered him. I think I actually love Bob.:sneaky:

I am now leaning toward that my little addiction is a good addiction. But still open to anyone who thinks otherwise.

U think Neo uses Perfect disk?:cool:

Last edited:

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
YAY!!!!!!:D

Are u addicted to Smart Placement?:sneaky: Please use the link I just put up in an edit and listen to BOB FROM RAXO.
He addresses Smart placement (and Stealth Patrol, etc) and it sounds all AMAZING.....SO, if it stresses the drives a little, maybe that is MOOT. I TRUST BOB. Even tho I just discovered him. I think I actually love Bob.:sneaky:

I am now leaning toward that my little addiction is a good addiction. But still open to anyone who thinks otherwise.

U think Neo uses Perfect disk?:cool:

Nero definitely does :cool:

Want another practical reason to use PerfectDisk to reinforce your decision

Do this expirment:

Don't run Perfect Disk for 3 days

Then run the default Windows Disk Defragmenter and see how quick it finishes the defrag, and you wonder, what the heck did it do? how did it finish so quick? because it just placed the clusters and fragments of files next to each other

Then run PerfectDisk and see how LONG it takes, that is because not only is it putting the file fragments next to each other, it is also placing the most used files on the outer edge of the disk for faster access!

PerfectDisk FTW

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Nero definitely does :cool:

Want another practical reason to use PerfectDisk to reinforce your decision

Do this expirment:

Don't run Perfect Disk for 3 days

Then run the default Windows Disk Defragmenter and see how quick it finishes the defrag, and you wonder, what the heck did it do? how did it finish so quick? because it just placed the clusters and fragments of files next to each other

Then run PerfectDisk and see how LONG it takes, that is because not only is it putting the file fragments next to each other, it is also placing the most used files on the outer edge of the disk for faster access!

PerfectDisk FTW

Interesting. And, I don have to actually do the experiment, cause just going thru yr delineation, I can feel the reality!

Why, when I come upon something negative re something I have come to love via first hand experience, I believe it and let it worry me....is another thing.

Thanks!:)

Last edited:

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Interesting. And, I don have to actually do the experiment, cause just going thru yr delineation, I can feel the reality!

Why, when I come upon something negative re something I have come to love via first hand experience, I believe it and let it worry me....is another thing.

Thanks!:)

Beware though bro, PerfectDisk 12.5 Build 312 is not compatible with Windows 8.1, there will be a patch or update soon to make it compatible if you try to run it here is what you'd get:

2z9mdt3.png

Good news: PerfectDisk 13 will be released soon with even better features! I am buying it as soon as it's out!

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Beware though bro, PerfectDisk 12.5 Build 312 is not compatible with Windows 8.1, there will be a patch or update soon to make it compatible if you try to run it here is what you'd get:

2z9mdt3.png

Good news: PerfectDisk 13 will be released soon with even better features! I am buying it as soon as it's out!

Wow! Cept I would rather eat worms than run W8. And that will be true no matter how the digits grow after the decimal point after the 8.:cool:

I will check out the new features in 13......and see if for me, it will be worth upgrading.

Last edited:

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Wow! Cept I would rather eat worms than run W8. And that will be true no matter how the digits grow after the decimal point after the 8.:cool:

I will check out the new features in 13......and see if for me, it will be worth upgrading.

so if you install a Start Menu app like StartIsBack, what makes you hate Win 8 then?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Been using PD for over 10 years. I use it daily on my HDDs in whatever system I happen to be using. A patched version worked fine with 8.0, but is a non-starter with 8.1. That will be handled by PD 13 due out next week or whenever MS releases the final 8.1 in the MS Store. As for the above experiment, keep in mind that there is a difference between defragging and optimization.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Been using PD for over 10 years. I use it daily on my HDDs in whatever system I happen to be using. A patched version worked fine with 8.0, but is a non-starter with 8.1. That will be handled by PD 13 due out next week or whenever MS releases the final 8.1 in the MS Store. As for the above experiment, keep in mind that there is a difference between defragging and optimization.

Hey. Another good endorsement. OF COURSE I know there is a difference....that is exaclty why I posted. As per my original post, FORGET, MY ACTUAL TITLE. I was interested in if Smart Placement stresses the drives or not.

Because of the fab interview with Bob at RAXCO (link somewhere above), I now understand one function yields faster write time, the other, faster read time. Before I listened to Bob, I did not know that.

Putting the link below again to save time.

http://www.lets-talk-computers.net/g...ect_disk_10_a/

Again, if running Smart Placement stresses the drives a bit, given what it accomplishes, I now think that is moot.

Last edited:

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
reply from Raxco to my concern about Windows 8.1 Support:
Thanks for contacting support.

PerfectDisk 12.5 is not compatible with 8.1. V13 which is due to be released soon will be compatible. There were some issues with the installer so it was held back so those issues can be resolved first.

Susie

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
so if you install a Start Menu app like StartIsBack, what makes you hate Win 8 then?

Well, I tested it long ago in Beta. Am sure it's better now, but first, it was as if someone took my phone and gave it steroids. For me, 8 is trying to cater to a section of the marketplace I do not identify with, or even have much respect for.

I hate the gimmicks, the metro, etc.......gamers say it's faster, but I ain no gamer and I truly like Windows 7, and see no need at all to pay to upgrade my systems. With yr rig, and 32 GBs of ram, am sure YOU are, a gamer. So, running 8 may be right for you.

Newer, is not necessarily better! OR NECESSARY. Esp when, as an individual, I do not need (or respect) any of 8's bells and whistles, and, I like and respect W7.

For me, it's never about learning to use a new GUI, that's easy. for me, it's what the new GUI REFLECTS, and, if those elements improve my experience and the ways I employ my systems, or detract.

If humans were engineered to just go along with MS, there would not be as many businesses in the world still running XP as there are apparently are; some are even formally demanding MS go on writing patches for it. Good luck with that, tho.:(

I adored XP, but I think 7 is way better in real ways. Again, for me as an individual, there is not one reason for me to pay to upgrade to 8.

Finally, I get commerce but refuse to be held hostage by it. to thine own self be true. I have no respect for tablets. I use my systems for serious stuff....and, (here it comes!) the Matrix franchise was special effects driven (I got dragged to see them, but face it, babe, few females enjoyed those movies) not unlike tablets.

Would I trade my basic Nook Simple Touch ebook reader for anything? No! Esp the reality of the battery (if U only use wi fi occasionally). But even in that, I honored that for which I needed a reader, the basics, and chose carefully. I had/have zero need for beyond my Nook, i.e. overpriced Kindle anything. Forget ipad. The, "O LOOK! We can pinch!" got old in 23 mins. And....I am little ashamed it took me that long. Using my opposing digits to effect what that does in touch capable devices, no way makes me feel powerful. OR cool. Jus sayin.

Hope that explains where I am comin from and how I got here. Kinda.:sneaky:

Last edited:

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I use PD myself but didn't actually know that Smartplacement re-arranges the most used files on the outer edge. While I am pretty happy with PD I have never seen it doing that?

By the way you MAY want to check out "Ultimate Defrag 4", it is awesome for re-arranging files. It's almost more a "file rearrangement" tool than a defragger.

For example, it allows to specify MANY criteria what files to place "inside" and which ones to optimize. (I place all my .ISOs, .AVIs, archive files etc. inside) and then specify that games etc. are optimized which places it outside.

I think one problem with PD I had is that it always puts free space at the "inside" of the spindle which I think is very bad. (There is no point if it re-arranges files to the outside but then any write operation happens at the slow part of the disk).

ALTERNATIVELY....I was also considering partitioning my drives in such ways, like, partition every non-SSD drive into three parts...which means that the 1st partition will always be "fast"....and then the last partition to use for movies and archives. Possibly even only two partitions. (Eg. one "fast" one and then the "slow" one). This would get rid of the problem having to rearrange with tools.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I use PD myself but didn't actually know that Smartplacement re-arranges the most used files on the outer edge. While I am pretty happy with PD I have never seen it doing that?

By the way you MAY want to check out "Ultimate Defrag 4", it is awesome for re-arranging files. It's almost more a "file rearrangement" tool than a defragger.

For example, it allows to specify MANY criteria what files to place "inside" and which ones to optimize. (I place all my .ISOs, .AVIs, archive files etc. inside) and then specify that games etc. are optimized which places it outside.

I think one problem with PD I had is that it always puts free space at the "inside" of the spindle which I think is very bad. (There is no point if it re-arranges files to the outside but then any write operation happens at the slow part of the disk).

ALTERNATIVELY....I was also considering partitioning my drives in such ways, like, partition every non-SSD drive into three parts...which means that the 1st partition will always be "fast"....and then the last partition to use for movies and archives. Possibly even only two partitions. (Eg. one "fast" one and then the "slow" one). This would get rid of the problem having to rearrange with tools.

Wow. What an interesting post!

First, you can watch PD Smart Placement doing what it does (the heart of my addiction to running it), see below circled in red:

20fceub.jpg

And, you are right: PD does give us only the option of doing the Smart Placement they have come to feel is the best.

And, reading what you wrote, I do, now remember, a while back, when I was testing these apps, I did have one, or even two, which offered several options for Smart Placement! And, truth is, I could not figure out which one to choose or WHY!!!! And I delved online to figure it out, but then gave up. Sad, right?:rolleyes:

Not that giving up is my default mode, but that time....I did.

Yes, both my drives---backup is clone of Piggy, the one I mostly boot into-- are small, but still like 70% free! I am ruthless, compulsive, puter cleaning person. Is why. NO JUNK, NO CLUTTER. Never owned a game, never will, and when I get a movie, I right off convert it and burn it to DVD so, no huge avi files in my drives! It works for me, but that's just me.

I think what you are considering re partitioning...is interesting. But, I also don't know enough about what it would yield to comment intelligently. But it SOUNDS GOOD.

HAVE FUN running and watching PD Smart Placement RUN AROUND IN REAL TIME!!!! :D When you get addicted, we can start an official rehab.:cool::sneaky:

And, via the link I put up to the lovely little interview with Bob from Raxco---found it after starting this thread, Bob discusses their Smart Placement.....so you may wanna download that and give it a listen.

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Sorry Again....my attention is being diverted by my BF and I think I keep double posting......

Last edited: