Smart Car 1 - 20 ton wall 0

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
I'd hate to see what would have happened if that wall was completely perpendicular to the car. =/

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: BlackTigers91
I'd hate to see what would have happened if that wall was completely perpendicular to the car. =/

Trust me, you wouldn't want to do that in ANY car.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
That is one of the ugliest things around.

And I still wouldn't want to trust my life to it either

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: SparkyJJO
That is one of the ugliest things around.

And I still wouldn't want to trust my life to it either

I dont *like* them... but i wouldn't mind having one to run errands around town in.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
wow, that crash test was really impressive at least structurally. need to throw in a crash test dummy to find out what would happen to a person though.

Unmoosical

Feb 27, 2006
Anyone see the failure of the Chinese car in the related videos? That's just scary albeit I don't know the speed.

Text

Edit: 40 mph.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
wow, that crash test was really impressive at least structurally. need to throw in a crash test dummy to find out what would happen to a person though.

they'd be liquefied.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
I was SO excited to see that these were coming to the states. Then I saw that they don't get the greatest gas mileage and we aren't getting a conventional manual transmission. Booo.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I wonder ideally the effectiveness of these vehicles. While yes the structure does hold up, any occupants inside would surely sustain so much internal organ damage in the result of the instantaneous slowdown from 70 to 0 that death would most likely occur anyways?

As they say, it's not the fall that kills you, it's that sudden stop.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune
I wonder ideally the effectiveness of these vehicles. While yes the structure does hold up, any occupants inside would surely sustain so much internal organ damage in the result of the instantaneous slowdown from 70 to 0 that death would most likely occur anyways?

And this is different than any other car how? :confused: And you clearly didn't watch the video because if you had you'd have seen that the car didn't go from 70-0 instantaneously.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune

And this is different than any other car how? :confused: And you clearly didn't watch the video because if you had you'd have seen that the car didn't go from 70-0 instantaneously.

It didn't? I could've sworn the narrator said "From 70 to a naught in 1 second."

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
It didn't? I could've sworn the narrator said "From 70 to a naught in 1 second."
0 = instant
1 != 0

:laugh:

Someone was gonna say it

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
70 to zero in 1 second would be ~102.7 Gs. You are dead. I think the bigger the car the slower the slow down, usually, since there is more metal to crumble, though I am not a crash engineer ;).

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Unmoosical
Anyone see the failure of the Chinese car in the related videos? That's just scary albeit I don't know the speed.

Text

Edit: 40 mph.

holy crap. Ive never seen the underbelly of a car bend like that.
and the smart has proven to be a very robust car for its size

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Zorba
70 to zero in 1 second would be ~102.7 Gs. You are dead. I think the bigger the car the slower the slow down, usually, since there is more metal to crumble, though I am not a crash engineer ;).

It really won't be any slower to change the outcome. You're dead. This video simply shows the rigidity of the chassis.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero

It really won't be any slower to change the outcome. You're dead. This video simply shows the rigidity of the chassis.

I agree it won't have enough of an impact to change the outcome. You hit something solid at 70 head on, you are pretty much going to die.

The rigidity of the chassis is impressive, though.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero

There's an exception to every rule:
"Strongest g-forces survived by humans
Voluntarily: Colonel John Stapp in 1954 sustained 46.2 g in a rocket sled, while conducting research on the effects of human deceleration.
Involuntarily: Formula One racing car driver David Purley survived an estimated 179.8 g in 1977 when he decelerated from 173 km·h-1 (108 mph) to 0 in a distance of 66 cm (26 inches) after his throttle got stuck wide open and he hit a wall."

Interesting read on Stapp.

Excerpt:
At X-minus ten on December 10, 1954, George Nichols helped fit a rubber bite block, equipped with an accelerometer, into John Stapp's mouth. Then with a final pat for good luck, he headed down to the far end of the track. As X-minus two approached, the last two Northrop crew members left the sled and hustled into a nearby blockhouse. Sitting alone atop the Sonic Wind, Stapp looked like a pathetic figure. A siren wailed eerily, adding to the tension, and two red flares lofted skywards. Overhead, pilot Joe Kittinger, approaching in a T-33, pushed his throttle wide open in anticipation of the launch. With five seconds to go Stapp yanked a lanyard activating the sled's movie cameras, and hunkered down for the inevitable shock. The Sonic Wind's nine rockets detonated with a terrific roar, spewing 35-foot long trails of fire and hurtling Stapp down the track. "He was going like a bullet," Kittinger remembers. "He went by me like I was standing still, and I was going 350 mph." Just seconds into the run the sled had reached its peak velocity of 632 miles per hour ? actually faster than a bullet ? subjecting Stapp to 20 Gs of force and battering him with wind pressures near two tons. "I thought," continues Kittinger, "that sled is going so damn fast the first bounce is going to be Albuquerque. I mean, there was no way on God's earth that sled could stop at the end of the track. No way." But then, just as the sound of the rockets' initial firing reached the ears of far off observers, the Wind hit the water brake. The rear of the sled, its rockets expended, tore away. The front section continued downrange for several hundred feet, hardly slowing at all until it hit the second water brake.

Then, a torrent of spray a hundred feet across exploded out the back of the Sonic Wind. It stopped like it had hit a concrete wall. To Kittinger, flying above and behind, it appeared absolutely devastating. "He stopped in a fraction of a second," Kittinger says, the shock of the moment echoing in his voice. "It was absolutely inconceivable that anybody could go that fast and then just stop, and survive."

Down below, George Nichols and the ground crew raced to the scene, followed by an ambulance. An agitated Nichols vaulted onto the sled, and much to his relief, saw that Stapp was alive. He even managed what looked like a smile, despite being in great pain. Once again, he'd beat the odds. He'd live to see another day.

But could he see? George Nichols wasn't sure, and what he vividly remembers from that day, fifty years later, were John Stapp's eyes. He had suffered a complete red out. "When I got up to the sled I saw his eyes... Just horrible," recalls Nichols, his voice cracking with emotion. "His eyes ?were completely filled with blood." When the Sonic Wind had hit the water brake, it had produced 46.2 Gs of force. And for an astonishing 1.1 seconds, Stapp'd endured 25 Gs. It was the equivalent of a Mach 1.6 ejection at 40,000 feet, a jolt in excess of that experienced by a driver who crashes into a red brick wall at over 120 miles per hour. Only it had lasted perhaps nine times longer. And it had burst nearly every capillary in Stapp's eyeballs.

As George Nichols and some flight surgeons helped Stapp into a waiting stretcher, Stapp worried aloud that he'd pushed his luck too far. "This time," he remarked, "I get the white cane and the seeing eye dog." But when surgeons at the hospital examined him, they discovered that Stapp's retinas had not detached. And within minutes, he could make out some "blue specks" and a short time later he could discern one of the surgeons' fingers. By the next day, his vision had returned more or less to normal.