Smallest Canon body with EF mount?

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Hey guys,

I'm not that familiar with the Canon stuff, but I'm looking for a friend. They have a 5D with several lenses that covers most of their needs, but they are looking for something that isn't so bulky for carrying around leisurely, yet still have the possibility to use the existing lenses.

I found the Canon M3 which looked pretty sweet, but then realized it's a different mount and would still require using an adapter that would make autofocus almost unusably slow, no different than getting, say, a Sony A6000 and then getting an adapter to use the Canon lenses.

Is the Rebel series pretty much the only option? enlighten me! am i overlooking anything appreciably smaller that can natively utilize those lenses?

I'm under the impression that the Rebel line-up (EF-S) can utilize the EF lenses, similar to Nikon's DX bodies can use lenses made for FX bodies. Hopefully I'm not wrong.

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
The 5D series is full frame. The Rebel series are smaller than the 5D series, but they a4re not Full Frame. They will take EF lenses.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
The 5D series is full frame. The Rebel series are smaller than the 5D series, but they a4re not Full Frame. They will take EF lenses.
Yes, I'm aware the 5D is full frame and the Rebel series are APS-C. I'm wondering if there are any smaller bodies than the Rebel that would accept the EF lenses without a mount as the Rebels do. Probably not, but figured I'd ask some people that may know better than me

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, I'm aware the 5D is full frame and the Rebel series are APS-C. I'm wondering if there are any smaller bodies than the Rebel that would accept the EF lenses without a mount as the Rebels do. Probably not, but figured I'd ask some people that may know better than me

SL1 is the smallest EF-s DSLR. It takes EF-s or EF lenses.

EOS M is arguably smaller but once you add the adapter it's not as small, and the original EOS M has a puny grip. The M2 is barely any better, though the M3 is a clear step up. Your AF will be slower using the adapter than with native DSLRs.