Small motherboard piece broken dont know what it does

SypherPK

Jun 28, 2018
10gcv90.jpg
I just got this motherboard for my pc build. I was opening everything up and when I opened my hard drive it slipped and fell onto the motherboard breaking a small piece off. I have no idea what this piece does. I hope and dont need to get a new motherboard. Plz answer ASAP.
This is a MSI H61M-P31/W8 btw
2q1grok.jpg

33lkn6b.jpg
2h7i1c0.jpg

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Looks like you broke off a capacitor.
That's not a good thing.

Take it to an electronics shop to repair it?

Mr Evil

Jul 24, 2015
mrevil.asvachin.com
It looks like it broke off cleanly, so anyone with a soldering iron should be able to put it back on.

It's probably for filtering the power to the on-board audio, or maybe a DC-blocking capacitor for one of the audio outputs. The rest of the motherboard may well work fine without it.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
As the poster said above it might work without it.
But if it was me, I would repair it. You could solder it yourself or find a friend that knows how to solder.

SypherPK

Jun 28, 2018
As the poster said above it might work without it.
But if it was me, I would repair it. You could solder it yourself or find a friend that knows how to solder.
Ok thank you guys so much for the help. I really appreciate it

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If I had to guess it's a filter or bypass capacitor that would affect built-on sound. if your sound is fine you're "probably" ok, but I would look at just re-soldering it. Make sure you get polarity right. I think the black line is the negative. It should say on the side of the capacitor.

SypherPK

Jun 28, 2018
If I had to guess it's a filter or bypass capacitor that would affect built-on sound. if your sound is fine you're "probably" ok, but I would look at just re-soldering it. Make sure you get polarity right. I think the black line is the negative. It should say on the side of the capacitor.
Do you think it will affect me if I'm only using headphones?

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Return to seller.

Only if, returning this to the seller and telling them what actually happened.
Maybe, they may fix it or exchange it.

To indicate anything else would be fraudulent. Which we do not allow on this website.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator: