Question Small form factor case and Texas heat, bad idea?

Loonmario

Jun 4, 2019
My brother has a computer I built which is kind of big (Corsair 200r case) and there isn't much space in his new house. I was thinking about converting it to a small form factor case (micro-atx desktop) but the house gets to 86 degrees Fahrenheit (30 degrees Celsius) because the air conditioning is not on during the day when he's at work. He leaves the computer on 24/7. Is that too hot an ambient temperature for a small form factor case?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
depends on the matx case.

some of them are actually better then full size ones.

Feb 25, 2011
This is the case I was looking at but I'm open to suggestions on other cases that are small.

https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Slim-Desktop-Micro-VSK2000-U3/dp/B015IYLSFS

This one probably won't work if he's got a GPU. Half-height slots.

Generally, the cooling system in a case will run a CPU a certain number of degrees above ambient. So if your temp is 60C now, and you go from a 70F house to an 86F house, your CPU temp will be ~69C. (More or less, various other thermodynamic principles notwithstanding.) So you probably don't have to worry about it too much.

The problem I'd be more concerned with is getting a smaller motherboard to fit the new case.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
as dave said you wont even need to worry about cooling on a gpu because its only half height.
It wont even fit a standard height gpu.