Small company from Trump Interior chief's hometown wins massive contract to restore Puerto Rico's po

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Looks like it's already been deleted from DocumentCloud. 404 not found.

that tweet has plenty of screenshots including what i believe is the most important

DNHKNDgW4AACWYJ.jpg:large

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Man some of the provisions are ridiculous.

"In no event shall PREPA, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the FEMA Administrator, the Comptroller General of the United States, or any of their authorized repsentatives have the right to audit or review the cost and profit elements of the labor rates specified herein."

"PREPA waives any claim against Contractor related to delayed completion of the work."

Edit: Damn you. I typed that all out without thinking of just embedding the pic.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Cost and Profit elements are proprietary therefore things and stuff. I's a secret patented formula and if it were revealed it would impact competitiveness with other 2 man operations. Known fact that it was what brought down these guys
All_or_Nothing_-_Milli_Vanilli.jpg

No peeky
Cuz freemarkets job creation or something.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Sigh. I've been watching this in the news the last couple days and its just another in a long line of major fuck ups. That seems to be the norm now for our country.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Sigh. I've been watching this in the news the last couple days and its just another in a long line of major fuck ups. That seems to be the norm now for our country.
This is shit you expect in 3rd world countries....

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Cost and Profit elements are proprietary therefore things and stuff. I's a secret patented formula and if it were revealed it would impact competitiveness with other 2 man operations. Known fact that it was what brought down these guys
All_or_Nothing_-_Milli_Vanilli.jpg

No peeky
Cuz freemarkets job creation or something.
For a fixed price contract with bidding, this would be fine. For a time and materials no-bid contract, it's pure corruption.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
For a fixed price contract with bidding, this would be fine. For a time and materials no-bid contract, it's pure corruption.

I'm sorry. Can't hear you.
I've had that "Girl you know it's true!!" lyric stuck in my head ever since I posted that pic.

Reactions: Thebobo

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Disagree. While I have no doubt that these two guys are capable of coordinating linemen, there is no possible way they can properly coordinate $300 million of work in a timely fashion. This isn't typical government work; people are suffering and millions of dollars are being lost while Puerto Rico's electrical grid is being rebuilt. By their count, they are up to 84 linemen. This is $300 million and 9,000 square kilometers. That's less than one lineman per 100 square kilometers, or alternately, one lineman per $3.5 million. (I don't know the scope of their contract, but $3.5 million is a buttload of linework. Granted, they may be the best, bigliest lineman ever, but still.) Ergo even for a fixed price contract with bidding, awarding this much work to a two-man company in these circumstances is simply insane. The low bid is not necessarily the best bid. This deal is approximately 100 times their previous biggest contract, which alone should disqualify them. Perhaps Mr. Perry had his smartification glasses on backward . . .

What we SHOULD be doing is putting Puerto Rico's grid underground and simultaneously bringing it up to a 21st century standard. This is a great opportunity to make Puerto Rico a great place to live and do business. Instead we're putting the same old crap back, but for the sake of political cronyism, taking as much time as if we were building a modern grid.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Disagree. While I have no doubt that these two guys are capable of coordinating linemen, there is no possible way they can properly coordinate $300 million of work in a timely fashion.
I was just referring to the non-disclosure clause as it related to a time and materials contract, not suggesting that the overall contract would have been hunky-dory if it had been open bid, fixed price. Part of an open bidding process is usually some type of documentation of capacity to perform.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I was just referring to the non-disclosure clause as it related to a time and materials contract, not suggesting that the overall contract would have been hunky-dory if it had been open bid, fixed price. Part of an open bidding process is usually some type of documentation of capacity to perform.
Oh, okay.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Looks like P.R. did the deal and not FEMA. If that is the case, I guess the swamp is in P.R..
Granted, but no way do I believe that Puerto Rico settled on Two Guys and a Telephone from Montana without someone whispering “Real nice little rebuilding you got here; be a shame if something happened to it.”