Small claims court

cr2250

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2005
I purchased a tv from buy.com and was wonder about small claims court. They refuse to take my tv back (long story short) Now if I wanted to get this issue in small claims court do I have to be in the same state at the company is at? For the full story type "sova" in the search bar in hot deals. Its the huge thread

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
From Buy.com:

Special Returns Policy
Due to manufacturers' policies, Buy.com cannot accept returns on this item for any reason. The manufacturer will handle all exchanges and replacements. Please contact the manufacturer directly and they will assist you with repair or replacements. NO REFUNDS ARE AVAILABLE FOR THIS PRODUCT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. THIS PRODUCT CAN ONLY BE RETURNED FOR REPAIR OR EXCHANGE.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Sova_32_LCD_HD_...6_9_RGB_DVI_S/q/loc/111/203533407.html

How could you even have a case?

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Yzzim
From Buy.com:

Special Returns Policy
Due to manufacturers' policies, Buy.com cannot accept returns on this item for any reason. The manufacturer will handle all exchanges and replacements. Please contact the manufacturer directly and they will assist you with repair or replacements. NO REFUNDS ARE AVAILABLE FOR THIS PRODUCT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. THIS PRODUCT CAN ONLY BE RETURNED FOR REPAIR OR EXCHANGE.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Sova_32_LCD_HD_...6_9_RGB_DVI_S/q/loc/111/203533407.html

How could you even have a case?

his only recourse with Buy.com is to get a replacement set or get it repaired.

he will have to sue the manufacturer if he wants someone to sue, and as it appears they are an internatrional company, he'll need to find out who to sue that represents them in the US.

cr2250

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2005
Well theres an issue with that statement. It says contact the manufacturer, but there is no manufacturer. The manufacturer went out of business and now a place called nuvsion (and yes nuvsion) takes all warranty issues. The problem I can't tell if nuvsion is legit since I never get through and they never return my messages. I found out only one guy works there in customer department and actually when I googled nuvsion his myspace came up. I can't see his profile but damn, I consider that unprofessional since in google it says nuvsion customer service rep. So iam wondering why this guy has a myspace but doesnt answer the calls that go through. Thus I have no contact with the manufacturer, so buy.com was wrong about there being a manufacturer to help me.

look at the bottom of thread
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...STARTPAGE=12&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
Did you see the thing about extended warranties on the TV page?
Here are the costs:

12 month Express Repair Plan ESC $64.99
24 month Express Repair Plan ESC $84.99

You might want to call up buy.com and ask if you can purchase the repair plan. If you can do that then I think it says they will do in-home service? I'm not sure if they would do that for this product or not so you should ask.

ALso, did you tell buy.com that nuvsion isn't on their manu contact list?

EDIT: AHHAHAHAHA - Here is a quote from the extended warranty page:
"Sometimes trying to communicate with a manufacturer can be difficult, and finding a quality service center isn't easy either."

Nov 5, 2001
you can try suing nuvision, but it will be up to you to collect the money, so it's probably a waste of time and money.

cr2250

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: FoBoT
you won't get anywhere
buy a new tv from costco and get on with your life

People like you, I really hate the fact that you would give up so easily. $500 doesn't come easy so, no I purchased a tv and want to get it fixed.

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: cr2250
you won't get anywhere
buy a new tv from costco and get on with your life

People like you, I really hate the fact that you would give up so easily. $500 doesn't come easy so, no I purchased a tv and want to get it fixed.

Ever heard of time = money?

cr2250

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2005
Yea but I really don't want to just waste my $500. There was a reason why I purchased this tv, since It was cheap. I mean I knew I wasn't going to expect outstading quality but this is unacceptable since there are working units since people at hotdeals, majority got good ones. I just can't stand the fact, throwing away $500. Maybe you can but when I buy something, I expect it to work.

Nov 5, 2001
Yea but I really don't want to just waste my $500. There was a reason why I purchased this tv, since It was cheap. I mean I knew I wasn't going to expect outstading quality but this is unacceptable since there are working units since people at hotdeals, majority got good ones. I just can't stand the fact, throwing away $500. Maybe you can but when I buy something, I expect it to work.

you can try it, but reality is there is very little you can do. sorry.

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
its true, thats a really ****** situation that you've managed to get in the middle of. but then again i would never buy a TV made by a company named Sova either. lesson learned the hard way unfortunately... but now you know to buy quality stuff so that it doesn't break on you, and that if it does you can get it taken care of easily.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Assuming you paid by credit card contact your credit card company and tell them what happened then request a chargeback. If you get your money back then send buy.com their tv back

cr2250

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2005
Well thats the thing, my credit card company wont do such thing. Maybe I should talk to the corperate office

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
Well thats the thing, my credit card company wont do such thing. Maybe I should talk to the corperate office

Aren't you covered by warranty?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: bennylong

read the whole thread, the company no longer exists, so there is no one to warranty it ( and nobody to sue)

SOL

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006

read the whole thread, the company no longer exists, so there is no one to warranty it ( and nobody to sue)

SOL

Don't the credit card companies offer their own warranty service?

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Yup, you're SOL.

One of the caveats when buying "no-name".

Take it as a lesson learned as you WILL NOT be able to get your money back.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000

SOL

Don't the credit card companies offer their own warranty service?

Some do....