Small case for LANs that can accomodate full ATX + a Zalman 7700 al-cu

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
I have decided that my gaming system needs a new, smaller, lighter case for portability to LANs. I don't want to get a mini-ATX mobo because I like the one I have now, and don't think the RAID array would work on another mobo, and any mini-ATX case isn't going to fit my CPU cooler. I did a little looking, and found a few neat-looking options. I'd like opinions on them and definitely need opinions on if my Zalman 7700 al-cu will fit in any of them. Also, it would be nice if I could get a full size PSU in there because I need a lot of power for my components.

Here are my choices:
CM Cavalier 4(don't like so much because it has a 350W PSU)
Lian-Li PC-V800
SilverStone LaScala SST-LC01
Ahanix D.vine 4
ThermalTake Tenor

Please post rants, comments, flames, helpful hints, and experience with these or other similar cases here. Remember, my main concern is getting the CPU cooler in there and some airflow potential would be nice.

System specs:
AMD 3000+ 64 @ 3200+
ATI X800 XT AIW w\ATI Silencer 1 Rev. 2 @ 513\513
1 Gb Geil PC3200 @ stock
ECS KV2 Extreme mobo
2 X Seagate 80Gb SATA in RAID 0
Sony DVD+-RW DL
Aspire 520W PSU

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
All right now, I did say that I already have the mobo and CPU cooler. I do not want a mATX case, I am looking for a full ATX desktop style case. This system is only a month or 2 old and there's no reason to get a new thermalright heatsink. The CPU cooler I have is better anyway. The Si-97 is substantially taller than the cooler I have and the xp-90 is not enough smaller to matter. Please read the entire OP before posting.

NO mATXes!!

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
I'm kind of partial to the X-Infinity cases. My buddy has one and it's noticeably lighter than my big Ultra Dragon case.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
I wanted an HTPC case because they are smaller than any ATX tower style case available. Not much smaller than the Super Lanboy (420 X 434 X 208) but they are smaller. I don't like the Supre Lanboy because I've seen one at my local computer store and I was not impressed at all with the quality of the construction or the thickness of the aluminum. For comarison, the Lian-Li PC-V800 is (320 X 160 X 440) which is about 100mm shorter and 50mm shallower than the lanboy, and looks a whole lot cooler, and it's a Lian-Li. Not to mention the Lian-Li is solid aluminum and is built for heat dissipation.

I really do apprecciate the comments but I do not want to get a new mATX mobo and HSF. I know that the XP-90's are great but the one I have is just as good if not better and I'm not about to spend $50 to replace the HSF I bought a week ago for one that looks different (and is a few mm taller).

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
The Aspire X-Sonic is almost identical to the original Lanboy - it can use the same accessories like carrying straps, etc. Almost all of the other formats of cases (if it is significantly smaller) have negatives that can't be overcome in my book (CM=proprietary PSU, Silverstone=limited expansion slot availability and the others aren't significantly smaller.

.bh.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
The Aspire X-Sonic and original LAN Boy case uses really, REALLY thin aluminum. I bought a Chenming version and the bottom got dented upwards just from the weight of the components. However, if you run a really basic setup (one optical, one HDD, no 5 pound copper heatsinks) then it makes for a really light and compact LAN box with about as good ventilation as 80mm fans can give.

I will second the recommendation of the Antec Super LAN Boy. I have this case and like it. Originally I didn't like how it looked, but then I took off the "waffle" grill in the bottom front and replaced it with a finger guard (lots of bling guards to choose from). The aluminum feels thin, but trust me, it's thicker than the original LAN Boy (and Aspire/Chenming versions). With the sides bolted on the case feels nice and rigid. You won't want to sit on it to tie your shoes if you're as heavy as me, but it should hold together. The included carrying handle is higher quality than all the cheap ones on the market (though not as good as the really expensive ones that have a spreader for the straps).

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
you'll take a temperature beating with those htpc cases. even the larger ones, like my lc-13 isn't great for heavy gaming.

even for normal use, well i do oc, they're so tight when you put a bunch of components in there it gets hot quickly.

and they aren't particularly light either.

i'd look at the lanboy too.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Oh, and some of the Antec performance and solution series are in the 16.x" high area.

.bh.