Small camera/large optical zoom

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I want to get close to the action without lugging around an SLR sized monster. Are there any compact 3mp cameras with a 4x or higher optical zoom lens out there?

Aug 16, 2001
There is a small Pentax with 5x optical zoom. Can't remember the name now.
Other good ones are the Olympus C7xx series of cameras.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
use your feet

if you are too lazy to walk, panasonic makes some nice ones

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
The older Olympuses have like 6x-8x zoom or somethign but they are limited to 3MP

Our 3MP Fuji has 6x

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
i need to pick up a similar camera before going to africa in 2 months and so far this is the best i have found

c-765 ultra zoom

10x optical and while not exactly pocket friendly its still pretty compact

SouthPaW1227

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
My new Panasonix LZ5 is really small (barely bigger than my hand) and has an amazing 12x optical zoom w/ an astounding stabilization feature. It's amazing. Plus, it's got a Leica lens that's unbeatable.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Nikon 8700

Don't forget that a large zoom's worth may be diminished by the light gathering power (i.e. diameter) of the lens. If you're taking action shots, like a soccer game, you'll need a fast shutter speed as well as zoom, which means more light!

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Those are still too large. The best I've found so far is this:

So far, I found this one:

PowerShot S1 IS with 10x zoom and image stabilization

but even that's a bit larger than I wanted. I guess I was hoping with all this prism technology out now that there was a palm sized camera with something greater than a 3x zoom out now.

This camea is ITTY BITTY, but the 2x zoom won't cut it :(

You just are not going to get great quality pictures in a very small camera w/ > 3x zoom. That's why they don't offer much. You need to carry around a larger camera to benefit. The 5x zoom on the Pentax will only be useable in very bright conditions. If you do go with an ultra-zoom, I'd make sure it's got some form of Image stabilization.

Also, I hear that the shutter lag on the Pentax SV is horrible.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: DBL
Those are still too large. The best I've found so far is this:

So far, I found this one:

PowerShot S1 IS with 10x zoom and image stabilization

but even that's a bit larger than I wanted. I guess I was hoping with all this prism technology out now that there was a palm sized camera with something greater than a 3x zoom out now.

The image quality from that Olympus Sytlus is outstanding...I just wish it was a 4x or 5x zoom. Oh well, I'll probably go with the Canon. Thanks.
This camea is ITTY BITTY, but the 2x zoom won't cut it :(

You just are not going to get great quality pictures in a very small camera w/ > 3x zoom. That's why they don't offer much. You need to carry around a larger camera to benefit. The 5x zoom on the Pentax will only be useable in very bright conditions. If you do go with an ultra-zoom, I'd make sure it's got some form of Image stabilization.

ttown

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2003
I want to get close to the action without lugging around an SLR sized monster. Are there any compact 3mp cameras with a 4x or higher optical zoom lens out there?
For a zoom over 4x, a feature I wouldn't live without is Image Stabilization.

I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ1(v2), 2.1MP, 12X optical, Image-stabilization, Leica lens -- and am extremely pleased with it.
I wouldn't call it compact, though. It's smaller than many of the SLR monsters, but too big to fit in a pocket (well, a 'normal' pocket).

I'd definately consider Panasonic -- which may not be recognized as much as many of the other top-notch cameras.

You can read-up on actual owners-opinions on most good cameras over at dpreview, under 'forums'.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: ttown
For a zoom over 4x, a feature I wouldn't live without is Image Stabilization.

I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ1(v2), 2.1MP, 12X optical, Image-stabilization, Leica lens -- and am extremely pleased with it.
I wouldn't call it compact, though. It's smaller than many of the SLR monsters, but too big to fit in a pocket (well, a 'normal' pocket).

I'd definately consider Panasonic -- which may not be recognized as much as many of the other top-notch cameras.

You can read-up on actual owners-opinions on most good cameras over at dpreview, under 'forums'.

I'm very familiar with the camera. They have an updated one with a higher MP rating now sold at Circuit City, but it's WAY too big. I want something smaller than my Oly 3000z.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
You're stuck with 3x zoom on those pocket cameras, the tiny lens cannot gather enough light for meaningful zooms beyond 3x. Plus you need image stabilization otherwise the high zoom is useless without a tripod.

Mar 19, 2003
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Canon has a nice 3MP camera with a 10x optical zoom.

:thumbsup:

S1 IS, I have one and :heart: it. There's also an updated version now (S2 IS), basically the same but 5MP and 12x optical zoom.

iwantanewcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2004
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
There is a small Pentax with 5x optical zoom. Can't remember the name now.
Other good ones are the Olympus C7xx series of cameras.

i have that ... Pentax Optio 450(or 550same with 5 MP instead of 4) pm if you are curious

it's not "compact" but it's still a pocket camera

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Man, you missed out. This DSC-V1 was selling for $300 shipped before Christmas, but few could recognize the awesome deal that was. 4X optical zoom, Zeiss lens, flash hotshoe, and Hologram autofocus assist in a pocket sized camera. Too bad, man...

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

Text

Edit-It has image stabilization also. Great camera.

Gee...that looks exactly like the one I said I was probably going to go with a few posts up :D

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001
:thumbsup:

S1 IS, I have one and :heart: it. There's also an updated version now (S2 IS), basically the same but 5MP and 12x optical zoom.
I have no idea how either units perform, but it would be smarter to wait for the S2, since the S1 doesn't have any autofocus assist lamp for some retarded reason. :confused: