Small but high quality BT Speaker recommendations

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Looking for a small but (relatively) high powered BT speaker for my car. My HU or speakers have now sh!t the bed and I'm too lazy/broke to bother fixing it. Playing music out of my phone for the past week really blows when I came from $600 Focal Comps.

May 13, 2009
I like the jbl flip 4 or the jbl charge 4. The flip 4 has a better mid to high range while the charge 4 has better lows but not quite as good in the mid to highs compared to the flip 4. The charge 4 overall gets louder so that is the one I ended up keeping. I've used both of them in a truck I used to drive for work since it didn't have a radio. That was a big truck that was way louder than any car and it sounded pretty good. It is pretty close in price to a new head unit so I would probably go that route unless it's not an option.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
I like the jbl flip 4 or the jbl charge 4. The flip 4 has a better mid to high range while the charge 4 has better lows but not quite as good in the mid to highs compared to the flip 4. The charge 4 overall gets louder so that is the one I ended up keeping. I've used both of them in a truck I used to drive for work since it didn't have a radio. That was a big truck that was way louder than any car and it sounded pretty good. It is pretty close in price to a new head unit so I would probably go that route unless it's not an option.
Cool I will look at this one.

How do you think it would compare to something like an Anker Soundcore or Oontz Angle 3?

May 13, 2009
Not even close imo. I've tried the $30 speakers and they just don't cut it. Especially in a moving car. Flip 4 is the lowest I'd suggest. They go for $100 retail and can be found for $80 with a little work. I think they have been as low as $60 but those sales are few and far between.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Yeah my suspicious was I won't get much actual audio quality for $25. Something from JBL with quality woofers is more up my alley.

I can actually get the Charge 3 for cheaper, which looks like it's a stereo set up as opposed to mono. However, I worry it will be too big... The Flip 4 seems a little more size friendly since I need to mount it on my dash.

May 13, 2009
On paper the charge 3 sounds like a better speaker but it's not. The charge 4 just sounds better. The stereo effect doesn't work with them being so close. I even prefer the flip 4 over the charge 3 personally. The charge 3 is a good speaker though and for a good price it's a good deal.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Good point.. with speakers only inches apart you won't get much stereo effect. I'll have to just make sure the slightly larger flip 4 can fit on top of my dash without causing site issues. Last thing I need is to get pulled over and some cop tickets me for having something large glued to my dash blocking my vision.

FWIW, have a mazda3, 2011.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
IMQ82dRm.jpg

Actually works very well. I'll probably secure it down with some tacky velcro soon.

Reactions: OILFIELDTRASH

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I use some Creative BT speakers I picked up a while back on my PC. The mids are a little muddled/lacking, but they have great bass. Something on the order of $40-70 for them.

Edit: They are not battery-powered, like the "portable" BT speakers are. Fairly decent sized speakers.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Harman-Kardon Onyx mini. Pretty great. You can even use two of them with each other for stereo with as much separation as you want.