Small businesses weigh in.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I own a computer shop. I strongly support Obama.
I would like to hear which of the candidates you think will be good for your business and for you.
Thanks.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Ill copy some of my feeling from another thread

"The company I work for is an incorporated IT SMB and we work primarily with SMB and Mid-Cap companies. Every year we have many clients who go on a spending spree in Nov-Dec purchasing assets and services because they dont want to pay the Higher tax rates on the Profits they made through the year.

It could be argued that a higher Tax rate at certain levels could lead to more business expenditures to improve the business.

Last year on Dec 29th we sold $119,000 worth of SAN equipment to a client. The opportunity came about on Dec 21st. They wanted to get the business assets under that TAX year"

Im For Obama and work with SMBs and Mid caps of all sizes and have a minor ownership share in my current company.

The Tax issues are overblown. It is Fear and FUD from McCain.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I'm also a Vermont businessman. I grow weed in my basement.* Which candidate supports tax credits for LED growth lights?

*I don't actually grow weed, but its certainly a cash crop and I bet its a common Vermont business.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: PingSpike
I'm also a Vermont businessman. I grow weed in my basement.* Which candidate supports tax credits for LED growth lights?

*I don't actually grow weed, but its certainly a cash crop and I bet its a common Vermont business.

YHAPM.

Oh wait nevermind.

Dammit. :D

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by: PingSpike

At least your are concerned about the enviroment and not using Metal Halide.

But the LED dont put off quit the Heat signatures to the Feds.

Funny Story, My buddy had 7 Saltwater Fishtanks in a fish room in his house. All used MH... The State police Came to his house with a warrant and searched the house. They entered and went directly to the Fish room, looked around and left.

It was the heat signature. And probaly a few priors he had;)

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: smashp

"The company I work for is an incorporated IT SMB and we work primarily with SMB and Mid-Cap companies. Every year we have many clients who go on a spending spree in Nov-Dec purchasing assets and services because they dont want to pay the Higher tax rates on the Profits they made through the year.

It could be argued that a higher Tax rate at certain levels could lead to more business expenditures to improve the business.

Last year on Dec 29th we sold $119,000 worth of SAN equipment to a client. The opportunity came about on Dec 21st. They wanted to get the business assets under that TAX year"

Im For Obama and work with SMBs and Mid caps of all sizes and have a minor ownership share in my current company.

Its not overblown... Obama is a smart person. He will find a way to tax business more. That's his ideology. If he doesn't tax business more, what is this "sharing of the wealth " that he is talking about?

Your example of taxing to help spur equipment buying does not make sense. If a business already has enough computer equipment, they are not going to buy more even if that means they will get a tax cut -- its a net lose for them.

Its like if you already have a nice pair of tennis shoes and you don't really need or want another one - especially in this economic climate were business are going bankrupt and closing there doors; you aren't going to buy another one even if sportmart discounts it by 30%. Makes no business sense.

Trust me. If Obama does tax business, you will be hurt. After all, business are already hurting.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by: eleison

Its not overblown... Obama is a smart person. He will find a way to tax business more. That's his ideology. If he doesn't tax business more, what is this "sharing of the wealth " that he is talking about?

Your example of taxing to help spur equipment buying does not make sense. If a business already has enough computer equipment, they are not going to buy more even if that means they will get a tax cut -- its a net lose for them.

Its like you have already have a nice pair of tennis shoes and you don't really need or want another one - especially in this economic climate were business are going bankrupt and closing there doors; you aren't going to buy another one even if sportmart discounts it by 30%. Makes no business sense.

Trust me. If Obama does tax business, you will be hurt. After all, business are already hurting.

The Want for that "asset"was there and got pushed forward to make it on to this years Books. Next year is next year

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Its like if you already have a nice pair of tennis shoes and you don't really need or want another one - especially in this economic climate were business are going bankrupt and closing there doors; you aren't going to buy another one even if sportmart discounts it by 30%. Makes no business sense.

How can he be hurting if he's making $250,000 profit and has no need to re invest it?

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

How can he be hurting if he's making $250,000 profit and has no need to re invest it?

Bingo....

You most all banks have their "private client" or "Wealth diverse" Banking departments for those finacially fortunate amongst us.

Requirements are usually 1 mil in assets or annual salary of $250,000 and up.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006

Its like you have already have a nice pair of tennis shoes and you don't really need or want another one - especially in this economic climate were business are going bankrupt and closing there doors; you aren't going to buy another one even if sportmart discounts it by 30%. Makes no business sense.

The Want for that "asset"was there and got pushed forward to make it on to this years Books. Next year is next year

Next year, he doesn't buy any computers since he bought it this year. How does that help the economy? As a matter of fact, if business are increasingly taxed by the government, at a certain point, business stop buying products because they cannot afford them. This year, company's were able to buy your SANs, but then what happens when they no longer have the budget since taxes are cutting into their margins?

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003

Next year, he doesn't buy any computers since he bought it this year. How does that help the economy? As a matter of fact, if business are increasingly taxed by the government, at a certain point, business stop buying products because they cannot afford them. This year, company's were able to buy your SANs, but then what happens when they no longer have the budget since taxes are cutting into their margins?

Actually in Feb, They Bought about 46000 in VmWare 3i licensing

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006

Actually in Feb, They Bought about 46000 in VmWare 3i licensing

I'm glad your company is doing so well now. There are other company's that are not doing so well. Raising their taxes would kill them. Heck, my gf works in IT consulting. Since a lot of her clients are cutting back on the budget, she has to take engagements farther from the city. A few of her co-workers have decided to even quit and raise their young kids instead of commuting.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

*EDIT*

Apparently, the word "hurting" financially has become a very loose term. People making 250k or more are never going to have to worry about money ever again if they make the right business plan and invest properly. The most they will have to worry about is not getting richer as fast as they used to with the tax cuts, but they will still be getting very rich very quickly if they work for it and make sound responsible financial decisions.

Talk about suffering! :roll:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Small businesses weigh in.

I don't think most small business will be affected much one way or the other.

Whatever changes are made won't come from the President anyway, it'll be Congress.

My business is pretty small, not many employees, so we're usually exempt from whatever Congress passes anyway.

I'm more worried on the personal side (of course, that may negatively impact business vis-a-vis poor economy) - cap-n-trade, no drilling, extra taxes on my purchases (gas, electricity), taxpayer money give-aways etc.

Fern

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
lets reward success by making taxes higher for success. yea sounds like a great plan to me.:roll:

so instead of a small business using that money to give bonuses or buy equipment they have to pay Obama... whoot!!!

Obamas tax plans sucks for small business

Mccains health plan sucks for small business.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Citrix
lets reward success by making taxes higher for success. yea sounds like a great plan to me.:roll:

so instead of a small business using that money to give bonuses or buy equipment they have to pay Obama... whoot!!!

Most small businesses will not have to pay at all and all businesses would be fools to not strive for more wealth out of fear of taxes or the idea of being penalized for their success. The bottom line here is that even under strict democratic tax polices, the historical numbers have proven that the rich have always and will always continue to get much richer unless they are jackasses with their investments and business plans in which case those will get what is coming to them. The successful have always been rewarded with more riches. That will not change even under Obama's tax plan. They will still get much much richer if they work for it. I don't see the problem with still getting richer. What is it? Are they not getting richer as fast as they want to get richer? Oh boo hoo!

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005

OMG 3% increase!.. how will they ever survive!

I really wish the uneducated would get a look at a tax return of a small business. My friend owns a small business doing music and he gets INSANE amounts of tax WRITE OFFS

By the time it's done it seems like he's getting back more money then he even put in.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
While I dont like Obama's overall views, I dont exactly fall in line with McCains either.

I certainly dont like the idea of tax small business owners who make over 250k more then those under that limit. Those people who have started businesses generally risk everything. Starting aa business isnt like playing on the after work softball team, where if you lose you go have a beer and a laugh.

A lot of owners refi houses and cash out all retirement to fund the business. To turn around and punish those who rise up and become successful is absolutely disgraceful to me.

I just dont support wealth redistribution regardless of the levels or reasons. Its utterly horrifying to me to rob one mans work to reward anothers lack of.

Now I'm going to go off on a (small) tangent. We DONT need more taxes, nor do we need MORE handouts. What we really truly need is reform of welfare programs to promote individual responsibility and drive to get off the programs. Many will agree throwing money at problems rarely solves anything, and yet they turn right around and continually talk about throwing money at welfare programs.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: TheSlamma

I really wish the uneducated would get a look at a tax return of a small business. My friend owns a small business doing music and he gets INSANE amounts of tax WRITE OFFS

By the time it's done it seems like he's getting back more money then he even put in.

I own a small business as well and a 3% increase in my tax is a big deal to me.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Xavier434

*EDIT*

Apparently, the word "hurting" financially has become a very loose term. People making 250k or more are never going to have to worry about money ever again if they make the right business plan and invest properly. The most they will have to worry about is not getting richer as fast as they used to with the tax cuts, but they will still be getting very rich very quickly if they work for it and make sound responsible financial decisions.

Talk about suffering! :roll:

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2152943&enterthread=y

Yea!! business isn't suffering.. Lets tax them all!!

The government should not discourage people like Joe the plumber who has worked hard most of his life from trying to run a business that could potential employ his fellow Americans. Yes, 250K is a lot of money. But its the quintessential dream of everyone to work hard and to "shoot for the stars".. why are we trying to cut short Joe's "american dream" in order to redistribute his hard work? Redistribute this "wealth"...

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Specop 007
While I dont like Obama's overall views, I dont exactly fall in line with McCains either.

I certainly dont like the idea of tax small business owners who make over 250k more then those under that limit. Those people who have started businesses generally risk everything. Starting aa business isnt like playing on the after work softball team, where if you lose you go have a beer and a laugh.

A lot of owners refi houses and cash out all retirement to fund the business. To turn around and punish those who rise up and become successful is absolutely disgraceful to me.

I just dont support wealth redistribution regardless of the levels or reasons. Its utterly horrifying to me to rob one mans work to reward anothers lack of.

Now I'm going to go off on a (small) tangent. We DONT need more taxes, nor do we need MORE handouts. What we really truly need is reform of welfare programs to promote individual responsibility and drive to get off the programs. Many will agree throwing money at problems rarely solves anything, and yet they turn right around and continually talk about throwing money at welfare programs.

great post.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Specop 007

Yes, the magical responsibility fairy will start sprinkling her dust on all of the poor people and she will do it for no added cost right? No one has come up with any plan that even comes close to working and why? Because the government cannot and will not ever be able to influence these people to be more responsible by reforming these programs. You and I have had this discussion before. Generally speaking, welfare programs are a band aid solution for the real problems such as education for example. In order to "fix" the welfare "problem" what you need to do first is fix the problems which require us to provide welfare in the first place. You cannot "fix" welfare directly.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: TheSlamma

I'd love to see proof you make over $250K and I'd love to see how shitty you file your taxes then.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Big deal to you? How will that 3% change your life and your business to the point of it being a big deal? How much profit do you pull in these days annually?

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2152943&enterthread=y

Yea!! business isn't suffering.. Lets tax them all!!

The government should not discourage people like Joe the plumber who has worked hard most of his life from trying to run a business that could potential employ his fellow Americans. Yes, 250K is a lot of money. But its the quintessential dream of everyone to work hard and to "shoot for the stars".. why are we trying to cut short Joe's "american dream" in order to redistribute his hard work? Redistribute this "wealth"...

I posted this in another thread. There is nothing stopping Joe from achieveing his dream except for his lack of arithmetic skills. Maybe under Obama's new plan for education in math he can start to catch up.

Originally posted by: Xavier434
McCain stated last night that Joe claims that he cannot buy the business under Obama's tax plan. Joe argued that himself to Obama directly. Let's take a look at whether or not that makes sense.

Obama's tax plan is estimated to increase Joe's taxes by about 3% by changing the current 36% to 39%. Using that number, if Joe's plumbing company makes 250k in profit that means he pays 90k under the current tax policy. If he pays 39% then he pays 97.5k in taxes under Obama's policy leaving him with 7.5k difference. That is 7.5k less profit from his previous 160k in profit after taxes under Bush's current plan. That's still 152.5k profit.

But hell, let's change things up a lot for shits and giggles. Let's say it is not a 3% increase. Let's say it is a 6% increase. With that increase in taxes, Joe's net profit gets reduced from the current 160k to 145k.

Now, I am not going to argue with anyone here about what is and isn't fair when it comes to taxes since that is completely subjective and that topic has been driven way too deep into the ground of no return already in the US. However, why the hell can Joe not buy this company? Why is it that he is making it seem like the company would go up in smoke because he will be making 152.5k profit instead of 160k or possibly even as low as 145k profit? He is either full of shit or he is terribly uninformed. If the man buys the company and runs it well he will be yet another rich man amongst most rich men that still gets richer even under a democratic tax plan that taxes the rich more heavily. If Obama's tax plan was in effect 5 years ago then Joe would have benefited from it leaving him with even more money to use to become even richer than he is today.

He would be a complete financial moron to not buy the company with exception of the possibility that there is a better business to buy elsewhere, but that possibility has nothing to do with either candidate's tax plan.

In other news, it looks like good old American Joe doesn't just have issues with Obama's tax plan. He seems to have issues paying taxes in general.

LUCAS COUNTY COURT OF COMMON PLEAS DOMESTIC RELATION DIVISION J. BERNIE QUILTER, CLERK 429 N. MICHIGAN STREET TOLEDO, OHIO
TIME: 1:14:13 PM DATE: 10/16/2008 Case No: DM20065458 WURZELBACHER/SAMUEL/J vs WURZELBACHER/KIMBERLY/M Filing Date: 11/21/2006 Type: DISSOLUTION Judge: LEWANDOWSKI/DAVID/ Status: DISMISSED BY COURT Party Counsel Plaintiff: WURZELBACHER SAMUEL J 355 SHREWSBURY ST. HOLLAND OH 43528
Defendant: WURZELBACHER KIMBERLY M 5768 STEFFINS ST. TOLEDO OH 43623 Docket Code Date Description Amount 11/21/2006 BATTERED WOMEN 11.00 CF 11/21/2006 COURT COSTS 25.00
*CASE DISMISSED* W/O PREJUDICE JOURNALIZED ON 2-7-07 AND MAILED BY 2-12-07.

Disclaimer : The public record information available here reflects the docket entries and journals required by Ohio law to be kept by the Lucas County Clerk of the Court of Common Pleas. This information reflects the actual documents filed and kept at the Clerk of Courts Legal Division, located in the Lucas County Courthouse, at Adams and Erie Streets in Toledo, Ohio, 43624. The data entry, though generally deemed reliable, cannot be guaranteed. The information may appear on the Internet Docket before the entry is actually signed and journalized. Of course the proposed action is official only when signed and journalized. In no event shall the Lucas County Clerk of the Court of Common Pleas, or any other Lucas County department, agency, or official be held liable for damage of any nature, direct or indirect, arising from the use of this Internet product; including loss of profits, loss of savings, or other incidental or consequential damages.

LUCAS COUNTY COURT OF COMMON PLEAS
J. BERNIE QUILTER, CLERK

CASE: G -4801 -LN -200701803-000
TITLE: S/O VS SAMUEL J WURZELBACHER
FILING DATE: 1/26/2007 CASE TYPE: ACV ACTIVATION OF CASE

Plaintiff 1: DEPT OF TAXATION STATE OF OHIO

MONETARY AMOUNT: $1,182.98 DOCKET/PAGE: DOC 460 PG 303