• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Small business owners come on in. Got some questions.

gittyup

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2000
I am very seriously thinking of starting a small home based computer services business. I do have a few questions if you are so kind to provide some input. Any comments you have would also be appreciated. If you have any helpful links, that would also be great. Thanks...

1) I assume it is a good idea to register a business name with the county I live in ( sub chapter s corporation or sole propietorship ) ?

2) I should obtain a business checking account? Hard to get one?

3) What is involved in order to accept credit card payments?

4) If I register a domain name, should I host it myself or use a hosting company?

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001

<< I assume it is a good idea to register a business name with the county I live in ( sub chapter s corporation or sole propietorship ) ? >>

Assuming your goal is to make this a fulltime pursuit, then yes, register your business. There is usually a money level at which making a comapny a corp kicks in. Talk to an accountant or small business group to find out.

<< I should obtain a business checking account? Hard to get one? >>

If you want to keep all assets, bills, purchases etc seperate, you might as well get one. Just go to your regualr bank, with proof of business ownership (registration, vendor permit etc) , personal ID, and you'll be fine.

<< What is involved in order to accept credit card payments? >>

A fair amount of startup costs for the machines, paper, hookup, testing and support. However, as you pay a percentage of your sales to the cc company, amke sure you're going to pull in enough cc sales to make it worth it.

<< If I register a domain name, should I host it myself or use a hosting company >>

Totally up to you. If you don't mind doing the work on it, do it yourself. It's most likely cheaper in the long run.

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
The more you keep the government out of your business, the more money you'll be able to keep.

Do get a sales tax account and pay any sales tax you collect to the state. If you don't they can put you in jail. :(

Don't get a business license unless they force you too. If you do, there be all kinds of gov agences who will try to stick their hands in your pocket. Not to mention the BBB and similar outfits hounding you to join.

Keep in mind that you will be self-employed. The feds really don't give a rats ass for the details as long as you pay income taxes.

Don't work for free. Make sure your family and friends understand that you're trying to make a living. If they want you to work for free, tell them to take their business elseware.

Don't get discouraged. It takes time to build up a client base. Always remember, quiters never win and winners never quit.

Good luck.

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001

<< Always remember, quiters never win and winners never quit. >>

and people who never win and never quit well then they are something entirely different.

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
You need to definitly register your business and get a checking account. You will need to get a Tax ID number and to do that you need to follow those steps ... Do things right now to avoid getting in trouble later.

ASK THE COMMUNITY