Small business help - Advice Needed!!

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
I am thinking about coverting a "side" business into a full fledged business. My question is where can I go for input/advice on starting a small business. I would ideally like to find a "mentor' of some sort.

Thanks for the help.

NL5

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
we use our accountant. he knows just about everything re: biz laws and what is best ofr our businesses.

:)

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
I have a product that I want to have manufactured. I will then Market and Sell them. I have been doing this already with overstocks and such, but I would like to skip that step, and just have in manufactured for me. I work for a manufacturer now (totally unrelated though), and we do small?trial runs for business's all the time. I need to know things like where to locate a manufacturer, what to/what not to do in negotiating a contracting. What it's gonna take to get stuff through customs, what kind of tarrifs/taxes, etc.

Thanks.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
KarenMarie, how big is your business? (employees and such) The reason I am asking is that I will be on a fairly tight budget, and will be doing all the work myself and don't know if I can afford an accountant yet? How often do you use him/her? If you don't mind me asking, how much de they charge? (you can PM if you want). I used to do bookeeping work for a small business with about 100 employees, and basically handeled all of the accounting work, so I think I can do it, but it would be nice to go to a professional, and atleast have them check over what i am doing.

Thanks again.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Thanks. I have looked at those two sites, and actually plan on filing my LLC papers next week!

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Cool.

Good luck, dude! :beer:

But, do have a good business plan drafted and contact a reputable and reliable CPA to help you with tax filings (IRS doesn't play games!)