Small biz insurance costs more than individual insurance?

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Before I got my work insurance plan, I had an individual plan that cost just over $100 a month, which I believe consisted of a $30 co-pay and $500 deductible.

At work then, which is also offering Blue Cross, I'm getting the same plan, but it costs my employer $184 a month.

What's up with that? Shouldn't they get bulk, yes bulk, discounts or something? Or am I confused here and my old plan was a lot worse than it actually was?

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
There's a lot more to a health plan than your deductible and co-pay. There's a reason you get pages and pages of benefits information in your introductory packet. What are the other benefits like? For example, what percentage of office visits, routine procedures, etc. are covered by each plan? What about for emergency services? What about extra coverage like drug, dental and vision? My point really, is: are you really getting the same plan?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Your original plan wasn't one of those crappy new ones that covers your perscription drugs and stuff but when you cost over 10,000 they stick you with the bill is it? Basically the opposite of major medical insurance? I heard those were becoming popular because people think they're getting a great deal since they get their zit medicine and stuff paid for...but then they get cancer and the insurance does nothing for them.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
When I looked at individual health insurance, it was $600 a month.

gwrober

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2005
I just read through the seperation package I got from my employer. If I wanted to extend my health care via COBRA, it would cost 1100+ a month to cover me and my family.

Insurance sucks.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Zugzwang152
There's a lot more to a health plan than your deductible and co-pay. There's a reason you get pages and pages of benefits information in your introductory packet. What are the other benefits like? For example, what percentage of office visits, routine procedures, etc. are covered by each plan? What about for emergency services? What about extra coverage like drug, dental and vision? My point really, is: are you really getting the same plan?

QFT, plus with a group plan while you generally get an 'overall' discount, the plan is based on the average age of the employees. While at a 6 person business my health coverage would have been almost double what my private insurance was with BC/BS. 4 of the employees there were 20 years or more older than me.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

This is why. Insurance plans can get so ridiculously complicated with all the details. Blue Cross is good insurance though so most likely you will want to just stick with them. If you really wanted to spend the hours it would take to compare all the details to the two plans then most likely the numbers you would find will make the reason for the price difference obvious.

SpazzyChicken

Feb 8, 2002

Exactly. You need to look at the plan documents and read the fine print. Pre-existing condition limitiations, lifetime maximum payouts.....etc

fatkorean

Dec 17, 2001
One of the main reasons is, with private health care, they can deny you initial coverage based on your past records like cancer, stroke etc... With business health plan, they can't deny coverage so the cost is higher. In effect the business owner is paying extra for the ones who are already "sick."

-fk

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Ah, good point.

I've always wondered though, if someone gets hired by a company with say, cancer/HIV or whatever, do they have to be accepted into an insurance plan then? So if you're uninsured and unemployed and then get a horrible disease, is it just a matter of getting hired by a company?

fatkorean

Dec 17, 2001
Yes they do get accepted even if they had cancer and what not. Thats why the premiums are higher for the employeer. Also there is usually a waiting period though before they can treat a "previous condition."

-fk