SM3 Thread

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Well, the point of this thread is really to list any games that use SM3 to do things that the best SM2 cards cannot do. I can only think of Far Cry as an example, but I'd like to hear of others.

Just so that people are aware, SM3 cannot generate effects that are not possible on SM2; it just can do them faster.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: compgeek89
Far Cry
Better performance by a LOT in source HDR
Splinter Cell
Riddick

I remember reading a Lost Coast preview where the ATI cards were neck-and-neck w/ the nVidia cards, and they actually took *less* of a hit enabling HDR. Where do you get your info from?

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
The SM3 games I have are Far Cry, Lego Star Wars, Painkiller, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

AFAIK the only "SM3 effect" that cannot be done in SM2 is displacement mapping, and that is not used yet, also AFAIK.

BTW- if you have little kids, Leggo Star Wars is awesome. My 5 year old loves it.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Originally posted by: SickBeast
Well, the point of this thread is really to list any games that use SM3 to do things that the best SM2 cards cannot do. I can only think of Far Cry as an example, but I'd like to hear of others.

Just so that people are aware, SM3 cannot generate effects that are not possible on SM2; it just can do them faster.

To put this in a nicer form (and sorry for the original form):

There are some IQ improvements that it does offer, which plays a big role in next gen graphics. For now, no, there are no real IQ improvements. Next gen, yes, it is used.

:D

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: hans030390

I'm not posting here.

:confused:
Kinda defeats the purpose????

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: Hacp

I'm not posting here.

LOL, good catch

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004
actually the main thing about SM3 is that it would make the SM2 stuff faster, not many new features involved. The HDR stuff is a side affect of another nividia implementation, and I don't believe it's part of the SM3 protocols.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Hacp

I'm not posting here.

I agree. Rollo agrees with me, and he's known to prefer nVidia anyways. I didn't know about displacement mapping, but really for all intents and purposes, SM2 is capable of generating the same visual output as SM3, whether fanboys like hans like to admit it or not.

Essentially, hans, I'm letting you know that you're warped and need to stay out of this thread as you're WRONG and posting BS. You're the idiot. Someone decree this pwnage already.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001

You're an idiot. I'm not posting here.

how about you READ ON GOOGLE about it. It can do PLENTY of things that SM2 cant do

but seriously, you should read on your own. I dont think anyone wants to argue with someone that can't pull of a true fact in their OP.

Ban this idiot.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Avalon

how about you READ ON GOOGLE about it. It can do PLENTY of things that SM2 cant do

but seriously, you should read on your own. I dont think anyone wants to argue with someone that can't pull of a true fact in their OP.

Ban this idiot.

I agree. If you're gonna call me an idiot, hans, at least make sure you're correct in what you're saying before doing so. In this case you made yourself look like an idiot. :beer: Cheers to that.

shinzwei

Banned
Jul 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Avalon

Ban this idiot.

:thumbsup:

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: johnnqq
aka the games people actually spend hours playign? far cry...

I don't know. My son plays Lego Star Wars hours. I'm playin gPainkiller now with him watching and laughing at the old man's slow reflexes. Far Cry and Splinter Cell are good- and I think people into that sort of thing play Pacific Fighters.

Splinter Cell is the only current game I know of with visual differences, although Lego Star Wars says it has some as well.

Splinter Cell has been SM2 patched to look close to the same.

I think the bigger differences are with EXR HDR and soft shadows, and are upcoming in games like Unreal 3. My $.02.

NOW, all that said, I think it's better to have Sm3 than not, just because it's better to have any check box feature, even if only a game or two currently exploits it. My thought is that when a game with displacement mapping comes out, I'll want to see it, just to check it out.

gac009

Jun 10, 2005
Hans, I personally think you telling everyone who ask advice about cards to buy anything that has SM 3.0 without reguard to their actual needs helps no one on this board. I know you like your 6600gt and I like SM 3.0 but it is not the End-All-Be-All of features that you would like to mislead people to believe and it should not be your topic of nearly every single of your post here.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004

Actually SM3 can do more than SM2. PS3 has features that make it a LOT easier for developers (from what I've read), features not available in PS2. Displacement mapping is only possible in VS3 (among a couple other things IIRC). That effect is used in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and some HDR games. If you want to see it in action, I had an old thread where I did comparisons, it's probably in archives by now.

Let me double check the displacement mapping thing to make sure it wasn't something else. Actually it is called parallax mapping, an advanced form of displacement mapping. HDR apps use something called tone mapping.

Here was my comparison page: http://www50.brinkster.com/xtknight/sc_sm

Pete

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
xt, you thinking of *virtual* displacement (aka parallax) mapping, or the real, geometry-deforming thing? I think it's the former, and I believe that's not exclusive to SM3 (or even SM2?). In any case, I'm pretty sure that's a pixel, not vertex shader effect.

AFAIK, the HDR in Far Cry isn't due to SM3 but to FP blends and buffers, which are above and beyond SM3 spec (and yet apparently all SM3 hardware will support them). Otherwise, I don't think SM3 nets FC anything over SM2/b other than perhaps a reduced number of passes (# instructions possible) and possibly higher precision for certain effects (FP32 vs. FP24).

BTW, does SM3 really offer better performance by a lot in HL2 HDR? Is this based on SM2 vs. SM3 tests with a 7800, or comparing a 7800 with a previous-gen X850?

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Like I've said many times SM 3.0 is nice but I don't feel it's a deal-breaker at this stage. I went from a 6800U to using a X800 XL for the last four months and I never noticed any real difference in my SM 3.0 games.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Pete
xt, you thinking of *virtual* displacement (aka parallax) mapping, or the real, geometry-deforming thing? I think it's the former, and I believe that's not exclusive to SM3 (or even SM2?). In any case, I'm pretty sure that's a pixel, not vertex shader effect.

AFAIK, the HDR in Far Cry isn't due to SM3 but to FP blends and buffers, which are above and beyond SM3 spec (and yet apparently all SM3 hardware will support them). Otherwise, I don't think SM3 nets FC anything over SM2/b other than perhaps a reduced number of passes (# instructions possible) and possibly higher precision for certain effects (FP32 vs. FP24).

BTW, does SM3 really offer better performance by a lot in HL2 HDR? Is this based on SM2 vs. SM3 tests with a 7800, or comparing a 7800 with a previous-gen X850?

No, he's right, that's a function performed by the vertex shader units, not the pixel shader units.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
The true displacement mapping supported by SM3.0 is something for future generations of cards with the grunt to use it. Virtual displacement mapping (also know as parallax mapping) has been around for ages but is only starting to be used - unreal 3 will make major use of it.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Not sure about this, but I saw a CoD2 review that said that the "FeatherSmoke" option could not be used? or run correctly? On SM2.0 cards, A.K.A. X850XTPE which was part of the testing. I believe they said it was a SM3 only thing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Not sure about this, but I saw a CoD2 review that said that the "FeatherSmoke" option could not be used? or run correctly? On SM2.0 cards, A.K.A. X850XTPE which was part of the testing. I believe they said it was a SM3 only thing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I used the option on my x800pro and it looked great. :)

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Rollo
The SM3 games I have are Far Cry, Lego Star Wars, Painkiller, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

AFAIK the only "SM3 effect" that cannot be done in SM2 is displacement mapping, and that is not used yet, also AFAIK.

BTW- if you have little kids, Leggo Star Wars is awesome. My 5 year old loves it.

Not only for kids dude! I want that game! :D 24 years old and I still have my lego collection :D I still need to pick that up sometime...