• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Slow USB transfer rate on Windows 10

yufuu67

Dec 6, 2015
Hello all, I have a Lexar USB 2.0 flash drive which is a few years’ old. Copying files on a Windows 10 Home Edition onto the drive has a fast transfer rate however copying files on a Windows 10 Pro pc onto the drive has a very slow transfer rate (sometimes up to 2 hours) and at times the speed drops to zero and then climbs and then drops. Overall the speed is low.

I tried many options found online to adjust performance settings etc. but nothing worked. Is there any advice that you can provide as to what can be done to increase the transfer speed on the Windows 10 Pro pc? Is there a known slow transfer rate issue on Windows Pro compared to Windows Home? Can you copy some links that you know of regarding this issue and a possible solution?

UsandThem

Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
It all comes down to the speed of the USB port you are using.

What is your motherboard model?

Edit: I also just noticed you said you are using a USB 2.0 thumb drive. Buy at least a USB 3.0 thumb drive, preferably one like a Samsung that has good reviews. Many times cheap USB thumb drives don't perform that great because they are made to be cheap.

yufuu67

Dec 6, 2015
It all comes down to the speed of the USB port you are using.

What is your motherboard model?

Edit: I also just noticed you said you are using a USB 2.0 thumb drive. Buy at least a USB 3.0 thumb drive, preferably one like a Samsung that has good reviews. Many times cheap USB thumb drives don't perform that great because they are made to be cheap.
Thanks for your reply. I don't think it is a hardware issue as I think it is more software related. The same pc had Windows 7 Pro and the same flash drive had a high transfer speed similar to the high speed seen on Windows 10 Home. However now it hangs up and is very slow on Windows 10 Pro.

Motherboard is A68HM-PLUS

UsandThem

Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
Unless you have something like Bitlocker turned on with Windows 10 PRO, there really isn't much difference between Windows 10 PRO and Home to cause such a drastic difference.

But if you are still using a USB 2.0 thumb drive, you must be OK with slower data transfer. It's almost painful for me to have to use those anymore. You can buy a much faster USB 3.1 Gen 1 drive for next to nothing anymore.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Look in device manger and look at the Universal serial bus controllers.
Are there any yellow/triangle/exclamation marks there?
I wonder if the proper 3.0 drivers are installed.

Did you upgrade your win 7 with this win 10?

Look at your mobo support here:

There's a download for windows 10-usb3.0 drivers

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It really wasn't unusual for many USB2.0 flash drives back in the day, especially the cheaper ones, to write @ only 1-3MB/sec.

Note that Windows will normally buffer to RAM first when doing file copies, so if the Win10 Home PC has more free RAM, that could explain the behavior.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Hello all, I have a Lexar USB 2.0 flash drive which is a few years’ old. Copying files on a Windows 10 Home Edition onto the drive has a fast transfer rate however copying files on a Windows 10 Pro pc onto the drive has a very slow transfer rate (sometimes up to 2 hours) and at times the speed drops to zero and then climbs and then drops. Overall the speed is low.
Firstly, all performance depends on what you're copying from. The Win10 Home PC might have an SSD, whereas the Pro might have a slow 5400RPM 2.5" HDD. Check there first.

I have an ADATA drive which can be made to behave similarly. It's only when copying many smaller files (1-5MB each, think JPEG photos or such). Copying stops, then burst, then stops again. I think this is due to the particular controller used, doing read-modify-write on the flash memory.

It's perfectly normal behaviour, and older USB2 drives can be very slow writing. Particularly with random access.

If you're routinely copying large amounts of smaller files, a "real" external SSD is extremely beneficial.

There's a download for windows 10-usb3.0 drivers
I'd recommend staying with the MS provided ones. Manufacturer drivers do (usually) not include UASP support since it has to be licenced separately.

ASK THE COMMUNITY