Slotket question (from a new guy on the block)

Icon

Dec 24, 2000
Hey all,
First, I want to say that this is a really cool forum with a lot of very helpful information from folks that obviously know what they're talking about. I'm very glad that I found it.

Anyway, I just installed a P3 550E that I overclocked to 733MHz on my Abit BH6 rev 1.0x (SS bios)using the MSI 6905 slotket. I just placed the slotket jumpers for a 100 FSB, used the default voltage settings and then set it to 133 FSB and maintained default voltage in the SoftMenu bios settings. Had to disable speed error reporting (or something like that), but it works like a charm for a few days now.

At first I tried setting the jumpers on the slotket to 133 FSB but couldn't get it to post until I changed it to 100 FSB. Can anyone tell me why that would be the case? Is it because the PIII 550E has a system bus frequency at 100 MHz?

I'm kind of new to this and don't really understand what the slotket FSB settings are for. All the manufacturer's sites (IWill, MSI, etc.) don't go into specifics - I guess to avoid any liability and appearance of condoning overclocking.

I know this is all kind of academic since I set it up in the SoftMenu and it is working ok, but I am about to do a P3 700E on a BX6 Rev2 board so, just in case ...

Thanks for the help.
Icon

they call mr big

Oct 25, 1999
don't worry about the jumpers on the slotlet, they're onlyhelpful if you can't adject the FSB on your motherboard. set them to default. use the voltage ones if you want, if you need the extra voltage but leave the rest