Slot-1 vs. FC-PGA? FSB 133 vs 100MHz?

Feb 9, 2000
Hi, I'm a newbie to this. Is FC-PGA better than a slot-1? If so, is FC-PGA CPU with an adapter still better than a slot-1?
And P3 800MHz is available in both FSB133 and FSB100. Is 133 much better? I have PC100 RAM, can I use it with FSB133 CPU? And could you recommend a good site to find info on this? Thank you very much.

Zedfu

Sep 26, 2000
fcpga has an on-die cache, which the slot1 has on-board cache. on-die cache on fcpga will result in faster instruction transfer, i believe the newer p3 is built on .18 micron compared to slot, and it definitely runs cooler. the slot has problems with heat dissipation. although not by that much of a noticeable difference the adapter will possibly reduce performance a bit. i recommend a 800E processor (E stands for .18 micron manufacturing process) which is the 100Mhz version. this way, using an flexible motherboard, you can overclock it to 133 or approximate. some motherboards available allows you to set the ram clock totally independent than the core clock, therefore it's possible to use pc100ram with fsb133 cpu. well, i guess it all comes down to if you have the right components to start with. :)

spamboy

Banned
Aug 28, 2000
Actually, there are Slot 1 PIII's with the cache on die, as well. The IMPORTANT part is not whether or not it is FC-PGA or Slot 1, but whether it is the older Katmai core or the new Coppermine. The Coppermines have the fast on-die cache, the Katmais don't. Coppermines can overclock, Katmai's generally can't. Now then, Coppermines are availiable in both FC-PGA and Slot 1 forms, and the Katmai's are only Slot 1. How to know which is which? The Katmai's have 512KB of cache, the Coppermines have 256KB. You won't likely be able to run a 800/100 chip on a 133 side bus, it won't overclock that high. Better to get a 700/100 if you want to do that, they hit 933/133 fairly reliably. But if you're set on a 800, get the 800/133, it will be much faster than a 800/100.
Can you use the old memory? Yes, if you buy a motherboard with the 815 chipset. That would allow you to clock the memory down, but remember, when you clock it down like that, you lose the benifit of having the 133 bus in the first place.

My personal advice would be to get a 800/133, don't try to overclock it and don't worry about whether or not it's FCPGA. If you want to overclock, get a 700/100 FCPGA because it will make the jump to 133 and there are lots of Coppermine ready FCPGA heatsinks out there that can help you get there.

FCPGA on an adapter is worse than the other two, as long as you have a motherboard that lets you do the overclocking on it. If you have a dumb motherboard, you'll need the adapter to change the voltage and stuff.

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
Get the FCPGA. The new 815E motherboards are not slot1. You can put a FCPGA chip in a sloket and use it in a slot1 board if you need to. Can't do the reverse.

Kelv

Nov 5, 2000
Yeah, I agree, get the FCPGA. Able to have the flexibility on slot1 as well as 815 chipset boards.

Hehe, everyone basically said what I was going to say :D But just wanted to add something: if u going to get overclock get a 133FSB CPU and sell your old RAM. Because CuMines when they're up to 800MHz is not as sure a bet to overclock as a 700E. If you're definitely going to get an 800MHz, get a 133FSB, get some quality RAM, and overclock the FSB from 133 to like 166FSB with a quality board like ASUS CUSL2. That way, your CPU is less likely to be limited technically during ur overclock (because the resultant CPU speed is lower), and also you'd have a KICK ARSE system compared with a 100FSB one...

Confused? :eek: Hehe, put it this way, 166*6 approx = 1Ghz, and it's going to KICK an original un-overclocked P3 1Ghz because your FSB is 25% higher than the un-overclocked one, meaning memory speeds etc will be 25% higher too. And it's not that unachievable I think, and offers much greater performance than raising your with 100FSB to 133FSB meaning in total you get 8*133 approx = 1GHz.... should you choose to overclock anyways :D

Anyways, hope that helps.

Cheers

Zedfu

Sep 26, 2000
Kelv,
keep in mind that overclocking your core clock to 166mhz, while of course giving you incredible yield assuming that the cpu can tolerate it, but many of your pci/isa boards like sound card and cdrw can all be out of timing since the system is working out of specificated range and result in unoperational components. well, i guess you gain some and you lose some.

techwanabe

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
Zedfu, That should be much of an issue if you have a mobo like my ASUS P3V4X, CUSL2 CUV4X or 815E over clocking friendly board. Good boards have incremental settings to step up the FSB between 66mhz, 100mhz, 133mhz and beyond to 155 or 160+. The settings have dividers which keep your PCI and AGP speed at or near their spec'd 33 and 66 mhz speed respectively.

Knownothingbut.. You can use your PC100 memory, and if the quality is good enough, you can probably push it up to 120 mhz or maybe even 133 mhz. It's worth a try... Memory is cheap enough that you might as well buy a stick of good PC133 (CAS 222 is best)

Back when the FC-PGA were first out, it was mostly Katmai Slot-1 or Coppermine FC-PGA processors. But since then, Pentium III's have been made in slot-1 Coppermine versions which I've learned are termed SECC2 which is like a flip chip slot 1. So from a cooling standpoint, the newer slot-1 and FCPGA are equivelent. If you get the FCPGA, you can put it on a slot-1 mobo with good quality adapter or staight on a Socket370 coppermine mobo like the new 815E boards or the ASUS CU**** variety. BTW, I've learned of a good low cost air cooling Heatsink Fan combo for the FCPGA Pentium = Taisol CEK733092. Can be had for as little as ~$13!

MaJik

Jul 20, 2000
I wouldn't care about FC-PGA vs. Slot1, they are the same chip. Find the MB you want best and then get the CPU that goes with it. I there is no point in getting a FC-PGA and then a slotket, just get the slot1, i doubt you will be taking the same CPU out and putting it in a new MB later on.