Slipstream Windows 7: Is It Worth It?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Carbo, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Carbo

Carbo Diamond Member

Planning on doing a fresh install of W7 Pro. Of course, I'm dreading the idea of reinstalling almost 200 updates since my last install. Thinking of using RT 7 Lite to create a slipstreamed disc to speed up the process. But if I understand the process correctly, I will still need to download all the updates to a folder on my drive and then incorporate them into an ISO. If so, how much time am I saving and is it worth the hassle?

2. zokudu

zokudu Diamond Member

3. Carbo

Carbo Diamond Member

My original Windows 7 disc includes SP1. When I checked my update history I see 192 updates and patches have been installed from MS Updates. Trying to figure out how to avoid the unending installs and reboots.

4. zephxiii

zephxiii Member

Yes the latest upgrade/retail discs come with SP1. My favorite thing though: WSUS :)

5. piasabird

piasabird Lifer

Try reinstalling Vista???

6. MTDEW

MTDEW Diamond Member

Your question seems to asking about saving time on a new installation more than how this is done.
    So to answer it honestly, no it won't really save you time since you have to go to the Microsoft Update Catalog and search for and download the MSU for each individual update for your pc.
    Then build your disc.
    Which is more time consuming than doing it "the old fashioned way", since the time you'll save on installation will be offset by the time it took you to search for, download and slip-stream everything anyway.

The only real benefit in taking the time to do this is after its done, it will make future installs faster and easier.

But even then it's still faster and more efficient to just install windows and do all the updates, then create an image of the installation with something like Acroni True Image or Macruim Reflect. (Macrium Reflect is free, I prefer Acronis)
    You can restore an image of a clean install with all updates WAY faster than installing any slip-streamed disc.

So if you're just trying to save time on this one format / install, then its not going to be any faster and actually take longer since you have to hunt down the Knowledge base number for each of your updates and download/slip-stream all of them individually.
    All you can do right now is prepare yourself for future installs to be faster and more efficient.

BTW: Either way you do it, you'd have to constantly update your image to keep "up-to-date"
    I can guarantee from experience, that as soon as you create your new disc or image, Microsofft will release several new updates and you'll have to download
    and install some anyway once you hit the desktop with your clean "updated" install. :p

#6 MTDEW, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  7. Carbo

Carbo Diamond Member

MTDEW, you nailed it. I can burn my time now or burn it later. Either way, I'll have to deal with those updates. Think I'll do it the "old fashioned way" as you say.
    Thanks for the input.

8. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Lifer

totally wrong. there is software that will download the updates for you http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/147-windows-updates-downloader/ just install that and get the update list for your version of windows from the forum and your done. then just point RT7lite to them and let it slipstream them.

9. Carbo

Carbo Diamond Member

Wow. Great find! Thank you.

10. jhansman

jhansman Platinum Member

This. I re-create my C: drive image every time there are significant updates from MS (which, unfortunately—depending on how you look at it—is frequently). Turns out to be about once a month and takes about 10 min.

11. MTDEW

MTDEW Diamond Member

I agree.
    This is the first i've every heard of or seen WUD.
    I'm registering just to check that out.

12. MTDEW

MTDEW Diamond Member

LOL
    And i thought i was the only one anal enough to keep my "Clean Install Image" up to date monthly. :D
    It really does just take a few minutes every month or so to keep the image updated.
    I just create an image called NOW, and restore my "clean install" image and update it, then restore my "now" image and move on.
    So i know i always have an updated "clean install" image.

I'm still downloading the updates with that WUD that hclarkjr posted, and gonna try slip-streaming that.
    No reason not to create a windows install disc that is up to date as possible also.

EDIT: Very nice, it just finished downloading all the msu files for me. :thumbsup:

#12 MTDEW, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  13. Zap

Zap Elite Member

Very nice! I will have to give it a try.

14. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Lifer

i have been using for 2 years or so, it has been around awhile now. he even has lists for windows 8 too

15. MTDEW

MTDEW Diamond Member

Well you should have shared it with us over here earlier then. :biggrin:

Just slip-streamed 103 updates, mostly just the critical and important updates since i use my install disc on several pcs with different hardware..
    Tested the image/install and only had 13 important updates available when it hit the desktop.
    So he's doing a pretty good job of keeping the list up to date too.

Thanks for sharing the link.

16. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Lifer

sorry!!! :'(

17. MichaelD

MichaelD Lifer

Does anyone have a link to download the Windows Update Downloader WITHOUT having to install some spyware downloader software first? :( I'd really like to give this a shot. I didn't know that RT 7 Lite existed and have been looking for a "nLite" that would work with W7.

I don't believe that spending the time downloading the updates/creating a slipstreamed disc is wasting time. In fact, due to the fact that you have to reboot the PC for almost every update, for EACH update, this isnt' a waste of time at all. Creating a "Post SP1" slipstreamed disc, effective today saves at least an hour of "download/apply/reboot/lather/rinse/repeat."

18. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Lifer

19. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Lifer

just click it and download it

20. MadScientist

MadScientist Platinum Member

Thanks hclarkjr for the link. I was going to download and slipstream an update pack from here: http://hotfix2.cesidian.info/, but the Windows Update Downloader works great. It describes the updates and let's you pick which ones you want.
    Install the program, download the correct update list file (.ulz), open it to install it to WUD, open WUD and pick the updates you want to download. I picked 109 updates.
    After they download slipstream the updates, .msu files; and apps (.exe files) using RT 7 Lite to a Win 7 SP1-U iso file. http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

21. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

The only sane way to slipstream is with WUD.

22. MichaelD

MichaelD Lifer

Thanks for the link, but in order to download the Windows Updates program you must also allow two other BS programs to download and load. That's how spyware gets into your system. I'm not doing it and it's disappointing.

23. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Lifer

what 2 programs? i have never had to download anything with it

24. MadScientist

MadScientist Platinum Member

Agree, what 2 other programs, only WUD downloads and installs. Are you sure you are downloading from the correct link??? http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/ProgramFiles.aspx

25. MichaelD

MichaelD Lifer

Thank you for this link. For some reason I was not getting to this page previously. I will check this out tonight! I was a HUGE nLite fan back in the XP days and would like to get back into it for W7. I don't see myself moving to W8, especially after buying 3 retail licenses for W7 Ultimate for my house. :colbert: