Slimline Camera to replace Canon A95?

Wigwam

Dec 26, 2002
From the outset let it be said that I am entirely happy with the photo quality of my A95 but have found that I have had occasion to need my sister's Fuji Finepix because it is very slimline and thus more discreet and portable eg for conferences etc[slip in pocketable].

I am thus thinking of trading-on my A95 if I can find a good quality replacement with a slim profile.

Flicking through a magazine recently and there was a 10MP Canon Ixus 900Ti as well as the Sony W55 which both got rave reviews. I have also seen online the Canon Ixus 850 and 950.
Looking online, prosumers seem to favour the Fuji F31d.
What about the panasonic lumix range?

Most of the time it will be used for straight-forward family point-and-shoot stuff but I also use my A95 (with a mini tripod) to digitise my xray collection. It does an okay job of this [i suspect it could do better but I am the limiting factor]

Any help with newer cameras that fit the bill would be most appreciated, particularly comment about how picture quality would rate compared with my Canon A95.
I know MP count is not the be-all-and end-all but it would be nice to have a 10MP camera [going from 5MP to 6MP is all that is currently stopping me from getting a F31d straight away as they look fantastic value].

Thanks

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
The Fuji is going to have by far the best image quality in dark conditions when compared to the other cameras you mentioned.

I'd also check out the Sony DSC-T100, especially if you aren't taking a ton of pictures in dark places.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
fuji, hands down. outdoors, both will produce similar pictures. I prefer's canon's pics because the colors are punchier. But indoors and low light, the f31 will blow any canon in its class away. tonight proved it. I was taking pics with my gf's bday present - a f31fd. Conditions were indoors in a decently lit medium sized dining room. Ive taken pics in these same conditions with my A85. With the A85, i'd have to steady my hand, hold my breath, and then take a pic if i wanted one with the flash off. With the fuji, it was easy as pie. And when viewing the pics on a computer monitor - no shake or blur whatsoever.

Wigwam

Dec 26, 2002
Maybe I should listen to this groundswell of consensus!
I was a little reluctant [if I am changing] to shift from a 5MP to just a 6MP (I know, I know!) but the low price for the Fuji coupled with a decent fleabay price for my canon should help deal with that.