Sligtly P&N related. Is it time for AT to find a new ad provider?

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
1624758628024.png

If you look closely, specifically at the cap and t-shirt, you might understand why I am asking.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
View attachment 46307

If you look closely, specifically at the cap and t-shirt, you might understand why I am asking.

I don't understand - it says "lions not sheep". No idea what that is supposed to mean, beyond some generic macho slogan.

Also (and I really don't know what I'm talking about with this topic, never really cared to look into it), but aren't these ads placed based either on what google thinks it knows about the readership, or just based on keywords on the page they appear on? I noticed on the thread on here complaining about 'too many real estate agents' I got an advert from an estate agent.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Honestly, I keep enabling and disabling ad-block add-ons. Because so many sites won't let you view them if they sense you are blocking adverts (and I can actually see their point, as decent content has to be paid for somehow), but so many adverts are just seriously annoying for one reason or another.

I particularly dislike how it seems Google has worked out a few things about my demographics (e.g. my age) and hence I keep getting adverts that shoehorn those few bits of knowledge into the ad copy, in an incredibly-clumsy and off-putting way (e.g. "people over X years old living in area Y will love this [blandly generic and entirely non age-or-area-related] game!").

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
View attachment 46307

Yikes, you don't use an ad blocker?
I don't understand - it says "lions not sheep". No idea what that is supposed to mean, beyond some generic macho slogan.

Also (and I really don't know what I'm talking about with this topic, never really cared to look into it), but aren't these ads placed based either on what google thinks it knows about the readership, or just based on keywords on the page they appear on? I noticed on the thread on here complaining about 'too many real estate agents' I got an advert from an estate agent.
Lions not sheep. It means that the right-wing authoritarians who are itching to murder out-group liberals are the killers, not the killed. That is what Lions not Sheep means, although right-wing authoritarian liars will tell you it means something else. They might use 14 words or 88 syllables or whatever, but that's what it means.

The Second Amendment is not just a right, it's a responsibility.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Lions not sheep. It means that the right-wing authoritarians who are itching to murder out-group liberals are the killers, not the killed. That is what Lions not Sheep means, although right-wing authoritarian liars will tell you it means something else. They might use 14 words or 88 syllables or whatever, but that's what it means.

So it's one of those alt-right slogans? Another reason to turn adblock back on, I guess.

I was assuming it was just another of those blandly macho fashion slogans, like Nike's "just do it" or "I am what I am" (a slogan which they chose to put in an unnerving Gothic script - I kept expecting to see it over a picture of Adolf)

Reactions: nickqt

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Yikes, you don't use an ad blocker?

yup, this. i guarantee that site sells other "patriotic" gear.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I used to let ATForums display ads, but the last straw was the Bell of Annoyance (OneSignal) so now no ads.

Reactions: zinfamous

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Failure to run an adblocker is irresponsible and in many cases immoral.

With the vast majority of malware being spread by Malvertising, the person who allows ads to be displayed on their computer intentionally places themselves and everyone who uses the computer at high risk for identity theft, bank theft, spying, loss of data, and expensive repairs.

Even if you care not for your own responsibilities to both yourself and to your creditors, think of the other people who might use the computer and install an ad blocker. Also it on your parents computer to, it will save you lots of time.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I'm guessing OP was browsing one of the P&N gun threads and whatever advertising algorithm is being used determined that this type of patriotic clothing ad matched the content of the thread.

Reactions: Leeea

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's adsense, OP. AT can't control any of that. How do you not understand?

Extreme rightwing nonsense has been pooping onto the AT main page and forums for some time now; they just push this more, I think.

Use adblocker. The main page and forums are completely unreadable without it.

Reactions: Leeea and MtnMan

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Failure to run an adblocker is irresponsible and in many cases immoral.

With the vast majority of malware being spread by Malvertising, the person who allows ads to be displayed on their computer intentionally places themselves and everyone who uses the computer at high risk for identity theft, bank theft, spying, loss of data, and expensive repairs.

Even if you care not for your own responsibilities to both yourself and to your creditors, think of the other people who might use the computer and install an ad blocker. Also it on your parents computer to, it will save you lots of time.

Yeah, I think I've concluded that I'll just have to give up ever visiting those sites that don't let you see them if they detect an ad-blocker. The internet ad-industry has only itself to blame at this point. I kept giving them a chance and they kept finding new ways to be incredibly annoying.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
In addition to AdBlocker on my browsers, I also run Safe Browsing and Threat Prevention on my router.

Where I really notice this is on my phone, when on 4G. Some newsfeeds, even games are unusable without the router blocking a bunch of stuff.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Honestly, I keep enabling and disabling ad-block add-ons. Because so many sites won't let you view them if they sense you are blocking adverts (and I can actually see their point, as decent content has to be paid for somehow), but so many adverts are just seriously annoying for one reason or another.

I particularly dislike how it seems Google has worked out a few things about my demographics (e.g. my age) and hence I keep getting adverts that shoehorn those few bits of knowledge into the ad copy, in an incredibly-clumsy and off-putting way (e.g. "people over X years old living in area Y will love this [blandly generic and entirely non age-or-area-related] game!").
Yahoo in particular has decided that my demo includes cosmo articles with a fairly heavy interspersed combo of fox news, national review, and Washington examiner. It's like they want me to be brain dead.