(Slight) Cut to food stamps on Nov 1, 2013 but still $600+/month for family of 4

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
One important component to reforming things like food stamps and other government benefit,s going to people who don't need them is getting a grip on the underground economy. And in my opinion, an important step in getting control of that is real immigration reform that accepts the reality that exists.
I'd agree with both of those things with the caveats that I kind of like the underground economy (not that I'm in it, but I like that some things exist outside of government's control) and that there's no point in immigration reform until we get serious about closing the border. We'd just be creating even more food stamp recipients.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
As far as the donuts. I'll take your word for it. You tell me how much your family spent on ALL food purchases, including any and all dining out or in, pizza, all drinks including coffee, all snacks and school lunches, everything. In the past 30 days.

And if I'm wrong I'll send you money for the donuts.

Costco is easy. In the last 30 days we spent $32.95 on 10/5 and $25.99 on 10/13 but subtract $12.99 for the oxy clean so $13
Kroger is much harder as we have alcohol on our receipts which I don't think is relevant to the discussion but I don't have the receipts to verify how much the wine cost. We usually buy 2 bottles around $7 each but they have been having some sales so I made it $6 just in case and I honestly believe thats a fair estimate. There are also items like shampoo, toothpaste, a greeting card mixed in there but I have no idea the cost of those off the top of my head so I'll just leave them in
9/28: $88.98 - $12 for $76.98
10/5: $74.00 - $12 = $62.00
10/9: $2
10/19: $41.62 - $6 (I know we only bought one bottle) = $35.62
My wife doesn't have time to go out to lunch and I go once a week. Mine is done in cash but averages $8 a meal so $32
10/6 Restaraunt: $22.42
2x Costco lunch at <$4 ea
10/18: Restaraunt: $16.80
10/19 Pizza: $5.30
10/25 (pending): $2

Typically this is only for two people but for 10/6-10/8 my parents stayed with us while my dad underwent some more treatments. The breakfast cost was negligible they were gone for lunch but here for two dinners. Not sure what you think is a fair cost estimate for that but I would put it at around $12 total

So for two people thats $293.07 if my math is correct for the last 30 days or $323.07 if you think the wine should be counted. There is a $44 charge to Kroger on there for the party we brought food to but we left the few leftovers there so I don't know how you want to count that.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Take a look at what I appended to my comment and try another reply.

Apparently, the typically P&N conservative is among the 5-10% most frugal of Americans in terms of food expenditures. What a coincidence!

Not me, we (my wife and I) spend ~$1000 /mo on food, not counting the rare times we eat out.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The first local ad I looked at has 4 15oz boxes of cereal for $5.56. And that's not looking the way I would if I was really looking for the cheapest.

Seriously? Around here a 14oz cereal makes the front page of the ad for $2 at Kroger (see previous link). Meijer's 2 day sale is advertising 14.7 oz boxes as 3 for $10. Walmart isn't having any sales on them and those are your only options unless you go to places like Whole Foods

:hmm: I wonder why we get shafted on cereal pricing. You'd think having Kellogg in the state would make it cheap

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Take a look at what I appended to my comment and try another reply.

Apparently, the typically P&N conservative is among the 5-10% most frugal of Americans in terms of food expenditures. What a coincidence!
Well, we're conservatives - we live within our means. :D

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
What about people who don't own a car and live in urban areas far away from Costco? What's your solution then?

Tell you what, how about you make a trip to the urban grocery stores where many of the people on food stamps shop. Buy a month of groceries there and then add up your total expense.
Part of the reason urban areas lack in groceries is because people there don't particularly want to patronize groceries.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Part of the reason urban areas lack in groceries is because people there don't particularly want to patronize groceries.

Also because the Democratic city counsel works to keep stores that sell cheap groceries such as Walmart out of them.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
This. Food prices are going up and package sizes are going down. $600 sounds about right on a tight budget for a family of four, but this is highly dependent on the area and store. I'd expect the food stamp money goes to three meals a day for of the four individuals. Many of us may average a meal a day out, if you don't do much if any eating out the food stamp budget is a tighter.

That being said, of course food stamps shouldn't be in the amount to make food purchasing a rosy endeavor for the money given.

In my area I have a problem with the fast food chains readily advertising with neon signs that, "We accept EBT!" or "Now accepting EBT". I consider this a handout/subsidy to the corporations running the fast food chains. If people are so poor they can't afford to keep CEO's of fast food chains dripping in money, then the CEO's should not be dripping in money through a shell game of tax dollar placement.

Edit: In the grand scheme of things considering the reality (as it spars with the intention) of our overtly and completely corrupt system of government and politics as it hand shakes to corporate greed and malfeasance, I'd rather the printed money go to EBT cards than directly into political insiders and friends bank accounts.

Inflationary economic policies are a wonderful thing if your goal is expand dependency on government and eroding the middle-class. Oh, even if food prices were to remain the same but portions were to decrease that still is inflation at work but in a stealthy manner that most people are unaware of when they shop. Meanwhile those who own the sizable portion of assets in the stock market in this country (which includes major shares in major companies who benefit from the food stamp subsidy by government) are making a windfall as inflation pushes up stock prices.

Last edited:

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
Also because the Democratic city counsel works to keep stores that sell cheap groceries such as Walmart out of them.

When you say "the" Democratic city counsel but fail to name which one, you've demonstrated nothing.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You're arguing they shouldn't get what you spend at a minimum. That they should get less than that. You haven't said how much less, let's assume you want them to get NOTHING.

You want them to have less than you. You want children, the elderly and infirm, disabled vets, actually even some active duty military, to stop eating as well as you..

and suffer.

Of course I am arguing that. Why the hell should somebody be getting a supplement at the rate I am paying in full?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Wow, it's amazing how P&N conservatives eat for practically nothing.

Please, give us more lectures about how little money you can (theoretically) spend on food.

Nonetheless, the average American reports spending $150/week on food:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/156416/americans-spend-151-week-food-high-income-180.aspx

Which means that the max food stamp benefit is between a quarter and a third of the average food expenditure.

Those that are stating how little are either starving students or do not do their own groceries.

It is not liberal/progressive/conservative issue.

More of a matter of incompetence in know there spending on food.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
When you say "the" Democratic city counsel but fail to name which one, you've demonstrated nothing.

The one in Washington DC that was trying to keep Walmart out of the poor areas of the city. There was a big thread on it here.

What could be worse than poor people having access to entry level jobs and cheap food?:hmm:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
HO-LEE F no wonder so many people are so damned broke. And FAAAAAAT.

We spend about half that on food per month for 3 people. And we eat very well.

Anyone notice a pattern here? The leftists constantly go on about how all people on food stamps and welfare and such are in such dire straits- one would think we were talking about rail thin famine victims living in mud huts.

Then it's revealed that many of these benefits aren't actually too "cry me a river" worthy, and we just get the ol' backpeddal: "What, you think $xxx is enough to live on!!???!!"

So it all boils down to- it's NEVER enough. The left just wants a straight up transfer of your ENTIRE paycheck into the pocket of someone they feel is more deserving, and they'll pretend it's total all-out poverty and famine until they get to that. All part of "transforming America".

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Because you idiot, they are focused on fixing the problems not the symptoms. Jobs, quality jobs, education, quality of education.

Now they are going to focus on jobs rather than when unemployment was over 10%? Timing is everything :)

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Like I've said, EBT needs to be changed into a system where all recipients can purchase is raw ingredients. Flour, sugar, yeast, chicken thighs, chicken drumsticks, chicken breasts, 80% lean hamburger meat, milk, eggs, corn meal, etc. This would also reduce the ability to trade food for drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes. How many drug dealers would take 50 lbs of flour or 10 lbs of cheap hamburger meat in exchange for meth?

Don't know how to cook? You better learn. Not only will you be fed but you'll learn a marketable skill so you can get a job.

Being poor is supposed to suck. At least with this system they're fed but not comfortable so there's some incentive to get off EBT.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Costco is easy. In the last 30 days we spent $32.95 on 10/5 and $25.99 on 10/13 but subtract $12.99 for the oxy clean so $13
Kroger is much harder as we have alcohol on our receipts which I don't think is relevant to the discussion but I don't have the receipts to verify how much the wine cost. We usually buy 2 bottles around $7 each but they have been having some sales so I made it $6 just in case and I honestly believe thats a fair estimate. There are also items like shampoo, toothpaste, a greeting card mixed in there but I have no idea the cost of those off the top of my head so I'll just leave them in
9/28: $88.98 - $12 for $76.98
10/5: $74.00 - $12 = $62.00
10/9: $2
10/19: $41.62 - $6 (I know we only bought one bottle) = $35.62
My wife doesn't have time to go out to lunch and I go once a week. Mine is done in cash but averages $8 a meal so $32
10/6 Restaraunt: $22.42
2x Costco lunch at <$4 ea
10/18: Restaraunt: $16.80
10/19 Pizza: $5.30
10/25 (pending): $2

Typically this is only for two people but for 10/6-10/8 my parents stayed with us while my dad underwent some more treatments. The breakfast cost was negligible they were gone for lunch but here for two dinners. Not sure what you think is a fair cost estimate for that but I would put it at around $12 total

So for two people thats $293.07 if my math is correct for the last 30 days or $323.07 if you think the wine should be counted. There is a $44 charge to Kroger on there for the party we brought food to but we left the few leftovers there so I don't know how you want to count that.

Of course the wine counts. So does the party food. If other people also brought food or drink then wasn't that your contribution ?

It's whatever you spent on food and drink, every nickle, for all the people your family consists of.

So you spend $8 on dining out lunch, which is typical of a normal person. once a week ? Never ever 2 times ? Never on a weekend ? What you are describing is so atypical it strains credulity. But I'll take your word for it.

Your wife never ever eats out ? Ever ? Never buys a diet soda ? Never buys a pastry at Panera ?

Neither of you never get a coffee at Starbucks ? Never have a fast food snack ?

Anyway, I'm happy to send you the money for donuts, but you have to promise to buy donuts with it. And Krispy Kreme or their equivalent. No health donuts or rice cakes. :)

Just let me know if you want it Paypal or a check in the mail.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Like I've said, EBT needs to be changed into a system where all recipients can purchase is raw ingredients. Flour, sugar, yeast, chicken thighs, chicken drumsticks, chicken breasts, 80% lean hamburger meat, milk, eggs, corn meal, etc. This would also reduce the ability to trade food for drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes. How many drug dealers would take 50 lbs of flour or 10 lbs of cheap hamburger meat in exchange for meth?

Don't know how to cook? You better learn. Not only will you be fed but you'll learn a marketable skill so you can get a job.

Being poor is supposed to suck. At least with this system they're fed but not comfortable so there's some incentive to get off EBT.

So this policy would apply to children and disabled veterans ?

Would you let children have an apple now and then ?

btw, I've heard stories about drug dealers accepting Tide detergent in payment. I'm sure they'd accept flour if that's what they could get.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Now they are going to focus on jobs rather than when unemployment was over 10%? Timing is everything :)

The President was pretty focused on jobs from the beginning, hence the stimulus.

It could have been better, more spending on infrastructure, but its the nature of our democracy that we compromise.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The one in Washington DC that was trying to keep Walmart out of the poor areas of the city. There was a big thread on it here.

What could be worse than poor people having access to entry level jobs and cheap food?:hmm:

Replacing several locally owned businesses with one big business based in Arkansas.

Those small businesses are less efficient, but one of those inefficiencies is they employ more people per dollar of revenue.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Last edited:

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Seriously? Around here a 14oz cereal makes the front page of the ad for $2 at Kroger (see previous link). Meijer's 2 day sale is advertising 14.7 oz boxes as 3 for $10. Walmart isn't having any sales on them and those are your only options unless you go to places like Whole Foods

:hmm: I wonder why we get shafted on cereal pricing. You'd think having Kellogg in the state would make it cheap

You can look it up. Ingles Markets in Knoxville, TN.

B1G1free at $2.78 a 15oz box. So 4 boxes for $5.56. For store brand.

That's not even a particularly great deal as far as I know. I don't shop for cereal much and that's just the first ad I looked at out of about 5 stores I could have looked at.