(Slight) Cut to food stamps on Nov 1, 2013 but still $600+/month for family of 4

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by JEDI, Oct 25, 2013.

1. JEDI

JEDI Lifer

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/25/news/economy/food-stamp-cuts/index.html?source=cnn_bin

Food stamp benefits were bumped up in the midst of the recession. The temporary provision expires Nov. 1.

For a family of four getting the maximum benefit of $668 a month in food stamps, the cuts would trim $36 a month, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service.

WTFBBQ!?!?! $668/month for food?!?!

no wonder they're eating steak and lobster tails regularly :mad:

2. Juddog

Juddog Diamond Member

$668 a month isn't that much for a family of 4. That's a month of food for $167 per person.

3. EagleKeeper

EagleKeeper Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Staff Member

What do you spend on your food budget?

4. Juddog

Juddog Diamond Member

I know this wasn't directed at me, but for me and my wife we usually spend about $450 a month, and that's including shopping wholesale and cutting coupons before we go, buying what's on sale.

5. Londo_Jowo

Londo_Jowo Lifer

I average spending $800 a month at the grocery store for a family of 4 and that includes many items that aren't food (soap, detergent, razor blades).

6. JEDI

JEDI Lifer

hm..

bananas $2/wk
    $2/lb boneless chicken breasts - um.. $/wk?
    spaghetti $1/wk
    salad
    bread
    $2.50/lb sandwich meat (turkey/ham)- $2.50/wk
    sliced cheese
    etc

$20/wk -> $80/month?
    (note: I don't eat breakfast. haven't for the past 10+ yrs)

obviously I also go out once in a while and have steak and lobster tails.
    but I dont think people on food stamps should.

#6 JEDI, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  7. glenn1

glenn1 Elite Member

Were only that so. Unfortunately it's more like $600+ of pork rinds, Twinkies, corn dogs, and Mountain Dew to make purple drank.

8. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

$600 for food is PLENTY and that buys decent food.

I thought a common excuse among the obese poor is that crap food is cheaper.$600/month doesn't compel a family to eat Mac and cheese all day.

9. OutHouse

OutHouse Lifer

I have a family of 5 and my weekly budget for food is 150-175. and we eat just fine on that.

10. PricklyPete

PricklyPete Lifer

Over the last month, my wife and I have spent $505 at the grocery store. That is a tad high though as she is pregnant with twins and has had odd cravings and way higher consumption of meat. Our grocery store bills are generally going to be higher than normal as we almost never eat out and generally only shop at Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Natural Grocers.

11. Jimzz

Jimzz Diamond Member

I guess most glossed over these words "maximum benefit". That's a best amount possible, not average or what everyone gets.

12. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

How does that make a difference? So since I am not on food stamps I guess itet $0 which means $600 isn't plenty for a family of four?

13. Slew Foot

Slew Foot Lifer

We spend 4-500 for a family of 4. 600 for food stamps is bullshut

14. thraashman

thraashman Lifer

So $5.50 per person per day is steak and lobster to you? What the *** kind of steak and lobster do you eat? I personally probably spend between $20 and $30 per day on myself and I don't eat particularly expensive foods.

15. OILFIELDTRASH

Steak is expensive people. How do you expect them to bbq on any less? And yes I have a relative that works at a grocery store and they said they know who's on food stamps as they always have the steak, lobsters, etc.. while joe regular buys the off brand cereal and what not.

16. Attic

Attic Diamond Member

This. Food prices are going up and package sizes are going down. $600 sounds about right on a tight budget for a family of four, but this is highly dependent on the area and store. I'd expect the food stamp money goes to three meals a day for of the four individuals. Many of us may average a meal a day out, if you don't do much if any eating out the food stamp budget is a tighter.

That being said, of course food stamps shouldn't be in the amount to make food purchasing a rosy endeavor for the money given.

In my area I have a problem with the fast food chains readily advertising with neon signs that, "We accept EBT!" or "Now accepting EBT". I consider this a handout/subsidy to the corporations running the fast food chains. If people are so poor they can't afford to keep CEO's of fast food chains dripping in money, then the CEO's should not be dripping in money through a shell game of tax dollar placement.

Edit: In the grand scheme of things considering the reality (as it spars with the intention) of our overtly and completely corrupt system of government and politics as it hand shakes to corporate greed and malfeasance, I'd rather the printed money go to EBT cards than directly into political insiders and friends bank accounts.

#16 Attic, Oct 25, 2013
  17. Atomic Playboy

Those lucky bastards. I wish I could spend nearly $4.50 on food every day. THEY LIVE LIKE KINGS.

Why are people in our country so quick to shit on the poor? Would any of you honestly trade an upper-middle class income job for a couple part-time minimum wage jobs that didn't offer healthcare and required you to get government handouts just so you could afford to eat? If so, you're insane, but there's plenty of opportunity for you to do just that. If not, stop acting like these people have everything so hunky-dory. You can judge a person's worth by their capacity for empathy, and on that scale, a lot of you are worthless.

18. Hugo Drax

Hugo Drax Diamond Member

If only Americans would get as angry about all the billions of foreign aid we give to the middle east.

and the trillion or so we spend blowing up Iraq to only rebuild Iraq on our dime.

Or the free security on our dime we spend to protect the Saudi royalty against their own people.

Or the free security on our dime we spend to protect the europeans, so that they can then use the savings to provide health insurance and other benefits to their own population.

OR the trillions we spent on artificially propping up commodities for Industrial farming conglomerates, on our dime.

#18 Hugo Drax, Oct 25, 2013
  19. EagleKeeper

EagleKeeper Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Staff Member

I do not see any beef, pork, liquids and a bunch of holes in your list.

I take it you just drink water, put nothing on your spaghetti.
    A load of bread is over $1.
    Raw salad mix $2.50
    Last time I went to the store Ham & Turkey from the deli was $4lb.
    4 slices of meat come to about 1/4 lb; That is what I will have for a sandwich.
    Cheese runs $6/lb - 1 weeks worth.

It seems as if you do not really know what your grocery bill is.:mad:

20. glenn1

glenn1 Elite Member

The sad reality is that many poor people would be completely baffled if you forced them to cook from scratch using fresh produce. Outside of fast food, processed food, frozen pizzas, etc. they have no clue. If instead of food stamps you gave them a Community Supported Agriculture subscription, they would probably suffer from malnutrition.

21. nickbits

nickbits Diamond Member

My wife and I spend 100-200/wk on food. We don't buy pre packaged or frozen meals. Eating non-garbage food costs more.
    When I was by myself and ate crap, I think I spent about 200/month on food.
    So that figure is inline with my eating habits not that I think they should get that much.

22. 2timer

2timer Golden Member

So you eat no breakfast (not even coffee), meat and Kraft cheese sandwiches on ValuBread for lunch everyday, iceberg lettuce and cucumber salads with no dressing, and cooked spaghetti w/approximately 1/4 lb. of chicken breast for dinners?

Pure entertainment :D

#22 2timer, Oct 25, 2013
  23. nehalem256

nehalem256 Lifer

You must be eating Grade-A bullshit

24. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

So you eat out a lot. If that was at-home prepared stuff it would have to be ribeye steaks and caviar.

25. Exterous

Exterous Lifer

Good grief you people spend a lot a money on food. We spend ~$120 a month per person on food and its almost all healthy and home prepared (At least some of it is likely regionally based)

#25 Exterous, Oct 25, 2013