SLI and dual monitors - Second go black?

T101

Oct 13, 1999
Is there a way to prevent the second monitor from going black when you run in fullscreen mode using SLI. I use the second monitor to display things like temperature of the cards etc. And would like to be able to see that information while gaming. Sadly, often the second monitor goes black or stops updating what it displays.

I am using the Forceware 270.61 drivers, btw. If that matters.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Is there a way to prevent the second monitor from going black when you run in fullscreen mode using SLI. I use the second monitor to display things like temperature of the cards etc. And would like to be able to see that information while gaming. Sadly, often the second monitor goes black or stops updating what it displays.

I am using the Forceware 270.61 drivers, btw. If that matters.

Thats a excelent question. I would love to know the answer to that as well.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i dont think thats possible which is why i threw in a third card of lower quality to compensate for the side monitors when i do go full screen:

Nvidiacontrol.png

This way when i do go full screen i dont lose my sides... so i can basically even have a movie running on them.

If there is a way id like to know also, because as far as i know, you cant... it disables all output on the second ports unless ur in stereoscopic which then all your monitors become full screen.

evilspoons

Oct 17, 2005
nVidia doesn't even know. ;) From http://www.slizone.com/object/sli_multi_monitor.html

"Fullscreen 3D gaming mode
Get maximum SLI 3D gaming acceleration on one monitor*.

*In fullscreen 3D gaming mode the second monitor may go black when you run a fullscreen 3D application."

That page also describes how to connect everything for maximum screen...ness.

T101

Oct 13, 1999
I have found that it depends very much on individual games if the screen goes black, or stops updating. So it is very weird. I dont have space in my PC to put another card, since both my 470s use custom coolers.