sleep apnea bane of the breathers - with poll

Do you have Sleep apnea and do you do about it

• Total voters

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
So I've had sleep apnea for a while now but I need a new machine (or do I) and I am tired of doctors, sleep test and $$ machines. So has anyone had luck with other options? I see a few sites where you can get a prescription on-line. There are new auto machines, oral/dental appliances, surgery, plus a few other. So what do you do.

sleep-apnea-oral-device.jpg

Last edited:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
My brother has/had it, he had surgery to remove his tonsils and to widen his breathing, said it hurt like hell the first week healing up but his snoring has gone from 110+decibels to non existent, i don't hear him waking up every 10 minutes gasping for air any more. He tried the machine but never stuck with it...

If i remember it correctly his airway had been 70+% blocked, much better now...

Reactions: calyco and Thebobo

BadTrip

Sep 22, 2008
I tried an auto-cpap, but could not keep the mask on. Was moved to a bi-pap and it seems to be working, but the pressure is so high at 19 then 13. Mask is constantly leaking.

Reactions: Thebobo

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Well, I ignored my mild sleep apnea for several years. I just couldn't handle some machine blowing air up my nose. Was more recently considering a dental appliance, but new sleep test showed the problem had gone away. It turns out that losing weight (~15%) really did make a difference in my case. Yeah, I know - easier said than done.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I tried an auto-cpap, but could not keep the mask on. Was moved to a bi-pap and it seems to be working, but the pressure is so high at 19 then 13. Mask is constantly leaking.

I have a BiPAP ("Auto BPAP") & it's awesome! It's cloud-connected, so the doctor can adjust it remotely. It also tells you if your mask is goofing up. I have a Dreamwear mask, which as top-mounted air hose with a rotating connector & various mask sizes. Very easy to adjust thanks to the magnetic clips that attach to the mask.

Reactions: BadTrip and Thebobo

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
My brother has/had it, he had surgery to remove his tonsils and to widen his breathing, said it hurt like hell the first week healing up but his snoring has gone from 110+decibels to non existent, i don't hear him waking up every 10 minutes gasping for air any more. He tried the machine but never stuck with it...

If i remember it correctly his airway had been 70+% blocked, much better now...

Surgery is one of those things I'll have to look at down the road...I guess I have a small breathing tube or whatever, so I'll be on the machine for life. 100% worth it tho, because of the results I get. The old CPAP machines with the Darth Vader masks were awful, the newer computer-controlled ones that match your breathing & have nice masks are a cinch now, not intrusive at all. I can do a day off it, but two days off it & I lose about 50 IQ points lol.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
So I've had sleep apnea for a while now but I need a new machine (or do I) and I am tired of doctors, sleep test and $$ machines. So has anyone had luck with other options? I see a few sites where you can get a prescription on-line. There are new auto machines, oral/dental appliances, surgery, plus a few other. So what do you do.

Just my experience - genetically I'm predisposed to it (only found out recently), so it doesn't matter what shape I'm in, still gotta wear it at night. I did the at-home sleep test from an online store, no referral needed. Philips has a little device they send you out to use overnight. I got setup with a computer-controlled machine (this guy) with the Dreamwear mask (this guy).

In a nutshell, the old CPAP machines worked off a timer, which was a problem because you might cough at night and then it pushes air into your mouth and then you freak out & wake up. The newer BiPAP machines detect your breathing & pushes air in & out depending on how you breath, with almost no lag. Plus it shoots a little ping of air if you quit breathing to open up your throat. As far as the masks go, the old ones were huge, like shop masks, with a tube running down your chest that you'd get all tangled up in. Plus they'd dry out your mouth & throat. So the new one is:

1. Quiet & small Auto-BPAP machine matches your breathing
2. Has a heated humidifier that you refill a small tank with water
3. Nice mask with easy-fit magnetic clasps & a top-mounted tube so you can roll around at night

I had no idea I had sleep apnea. I was always kind of tired & low-energy, but not to the point where I was like hey, I've got a sleeping issue! I mean, I'd go to sleep & stay asleep all night, and I average a 70-hour work week, have a family, and do various hobbies, so I always just wrote off the constant low-level fatigue as whatever. I heard about the online services where you can just ordered the test yourself & do it at home...I don't sleep well outside of my own bed, so a sleep clinic didn't really sound all that appealing. Mine came back as pretty bad on the test, so I got setup with a machine & within a few days got used to the whole setup.

It has a lot of benefits...not that I feel amazing all the time now, but just that I don't crash like mid-afternoon, I'm not slightly sleepy all the time, and I don't suffer from mental lag or brain fog anymore. It also seems to have resolved my stomach issues - I don't get tired after eating anymore, for example, and my gut is fully-operational for bowel movements (TMI). I went as far as getting my blood sugar checked for diabetes & monitoring my blood sugar with a monitoring system because I couldn't figure out why I was crashing after large meals. Turns out it was just sleep apnea! I feel like the end of a Scooby Doo show where they rip of the mask from the monster & find out it was just some dude all along...ADHD? SIBO? Low energy, low motivation, always kinda sleepy? It was you, Sleep Apnea, all along! Hahaha. I was also having really weird blood pressure issues (high & kept growing) that the mask resolved as well. I guess your body doesn't like it when it feels like you're running a marathon all night long due to oxygen deprivation! It's also nice waking up & being "awake" instantly!

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I had the surgery in 1997 and the snoring has returned but I don't stop breathing. I really need to lose about 20 lbs and that would probably help with the snoring.

BadTrip

Sep 22, 2008
I have a BiPAP ("Auto BPAP") & it's awesome! It's cloud-connected, so the doctor can adjust it remotely. It also tells you if your mask is goofing up. I have a Dreamwear mask, which as top-mounted air hose with a rotating connector & various mask sizes. Very easy to adjust thanks to the magnetic clips that attach to the mask.

I bet we have the same machine. Phillips Dreamstation. I tried the Dreamwear mask at my DME's office, but they talked me in to getting the Fisher Paykel Simplus. I think I will go for the Dreamwear at the end of July when my insurance will pay for another mask. Also interested in this one made with memory foam. I think the foam would be less likely to leak at high pressure.

https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/products/masks/airtouch-20-series.html

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I bet we have the same machine. Phillips Dreamstation. I tried the Dreamwear mask at my DME's office, but they talked me in to getting the Fisher Paykel Simplus. I think I will go for the Dreamwear at the end of July when my insurance will pay for another mask. Also interested in this one made with memory foam. I think the foam would be less likely to leak at high pressure.

https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/products/masks/airtouch-20-series.html

I have this machine:

https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/products/devices/aircurve-10-vauto.html

That mask does look pretty comfortable! Maybe I'll try that out when mine wears out, thanks!

Reactions: Thebobo and BadTrip

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I was diagnosed with sever sleep apnea about 10 years ago. The CPAP machine did wonders for me, but I am a side sleeper and got tired of always having to sleep on my back. I eventually lost some weight and now sleep without the machine. I will on occasion get stuffy and/or if I end up on my back during the night it will wake me up. When I'm sick with a cold and stuffy I sometimes sleep in a recliner so I'm semi-upright.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
So did your insurance cover any of the test fee or the price of the CPAP itself?

I'm still waiting to hear back on both. I have mediocre health insurance, so I'm not holding my breath, but I'm hoping that they cover at least part of it, especially because you need regular supplies throughout the year as things wear out (replacement mask, hose, filters, etc.).

It would have been better to go through a doctor, but for $299 for the test & they ship it straight to your house, I preferred to bypass the whole doctor's visit & just do the test at home. I've had to do that several times due to my health issues with my previous food allergies & whatnot, GP's can be gatekeepers sometimes, not to mention the bureaucracy involved. My buddy didn't want to pay $299, so he'll be doing his test at a sleep clinic, and his appointment isn't for 3 more months. I wasn't a fan of having to pay that out of pocket, but I'm really glad I didn't wait, as I feel like 10x better...I had real bad brain-fog before, especially in the afternoon, and that's all cleared up, among other things.

Not to get super gross, but I no longer have ANY acid reflux AT ALL, which is huge for me, as I can actually lay down & not die, and my bowel movements have solidified & are regular, so it took care of that aspect of IBS. Plus no brain fog, plus I don't feel hungover in the morning. When I didn't carefully watch my diet & also not eat within a couple hours of bed, my body felt like lead in the morning for like half an hour straight, haha. I had no idea sleep apnea affected so many bodily functions. Mostly, it's just nice to have a clear brain all day long. I can get home & not zone out, I've actually been doing a bunch of projects simply because I'm not dead...previously, I had to very carefully watch my bedtime & my food intake if I wanted to have high energy from sunup to sundown. I mean, I still do, but I don't fall off the energy cliff if I don't, you know?

Again, I had no idea I had sleep apnea. I was always mildly tired, but I slept just fine through the night & wasn't like super dead all day or anything. That $299 test is now my go-to default recommendation to test for, for people who have health problems...even if you don't have sleep apnea, at least you can rule it out & look into other things. I had a real health struggle for a long time, when it turns out the primary cause of my issues was simply genetic sleep apnea. Go figure!

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Thanks much for the detailed report. Now can you take the prescription to other places? Guess I should call my insurance company although I will pay for the non-doctor visit sleep test as you did.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Thanks much for the detailed report. Now can you take the prescription to other places? Guess I should call my insurance company although I will pay for the non-doctor visit sleep test as you did.

I believe once you are medically-certified that you have sleep apnea, you can buy from anywhere.

The Singular Sleep place is nice because the machine comes with a 3G chip or something that sends the data back to HQ automatically, so when you video chat with their doctor, he can instantly see all of your data & make adjustments & recommendations as necessary. By default, they just kind of set the machine to max, and then adjust from there. Mine needed to be turned down a bit because it was pushing a bit too much air & making my mask pop off easily. It's really awesome because I have a super-weird work schedule, so being able to do the test at home, video-chat with the doctor on my smartphone, and have all of the data automatically be sent to him without even having to hook the machine up to my Wi-Fi network is an awesome combination!