Slavery was good thing, says AR GOP'er

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
They were indentured servants. Not slaves. There's a difference. The Europeans found that keeping Africans as slaves and not paying them was okay because we were deemed less than human. Indentured servitude when out of style after the Slave trade started. Why would a plantation owner pay a poor white person to tend their fields when they could force a slave to do it for free.

White indentured servants did not suffer the same abuse as African slaves. Because of the Slave trade, I will NEVER know where my ancestors were from in Africa, there are parts of my family that I will never have contact with or knowledge of. I can only trace my roots back 75 years. Indentured servants were pretty much contract workers, they would agree to work a period of time (typically a few years) for a meager wage they could take back to their families. Their women were not raped by white slave owners, their families weren't broken apart and sold, they were not whipped or beaten either. When they were done with their contact, indentured servants could go home. Slaves risked being killed if they ran away or being whipped half to death, not to mention the punishment their family would probably endure.

Due to slavery, I have European ancestry...ancestry that was forced upon my ancestors with rape. I am not proud of that, but I can't change it either. Don't try to minimize how bad slavery was by bringing up indentured servitude. Are you kidding?

Tell me again about the plight of Indentured servants?

Do you find it sad that you have to explain that to some people? I do.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
In Germany didnt they round up people and throw them in death camps and work prisons?

Welfare is a bit different from a death camp.

Last edited:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
They were indentured servants. Not slaves. There's a difference. The Europeans found that keeping Africans as slaves and not paying them was okay because we were deemed less than human. Indentured servitude when out of style after the Slave trade started. Why would a plantation owner pay a poor white person to tend their fields when they could force a slave to do it for free.

White indentured servants did not suffer the same abuse as African slaves. Because of the Slave trade, I will NEVER know where my ancestors were from in Africa, there are parts of my family that I will never have contact with or knowledge of. I can only trace my roots back 75 years. Indentured servants were pretty much contract workers, they would agree to work a period of time (typically a few years) for a meager wage they could take back to their families. Their women were not raped by white slave owners, their families weren't broken apart and sold, they were not whipped or beaten either. When they were done with their contact, indentured servants could go home. Slaves risked being killed if they ran away or being whipped half to death, not to mention the punishment their family would probably endure.

Due to slavery, I have European ancestry...ancestry that was forced upon my ancestors with rape. I am not proud of that, but I can't change it either. Don't try to minimize how bad slavery was by bringing up indentured servitude. Are you kidding?

Tell me again about the plight of Indentured servants?

you are ignorant to some important details sir. Not that all you said is untrue, however many indentured servants are far from as you say. I wont even bother with the 4 million white slaves in Africa...you're all knowing. although here is a pic of your indentured servant that didn't get the abuse as you say...plus you ignored much of my post
29z7qkl.jpg

Many indentured servants were undoubtedly abused, as were African slaves

Last edited by a moderator:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
you are ignorant to some important details sir. Not that all you said is untrue, however many indentured servants are far from as you say. I wont even bother with the 4 million white slaves in Africa...you're all knowing. although here is a pic of your indentured servant that didn't get the abuse as you say...plus you ignored much of my post
29z7qkl.jpg

4 Million White slaves in Africa, eh?

Also, show me a picture without a context...that definitely proves I was wrong. :p

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Not to disagree with the outrage of SheHatesMe in any way, but there is a slight defect in the historical portrayal of early in the early American indentured servants concept.

As the quote is as follows, " Indentured servants were pretty much contract workers, they would agree to work a period of time (typically a few years) for a meager wage they could take back to their families."

As the part I take exception too, is the idea their meager wages went back to their families. Simply because most indentured servants came from the white European dregs of society mired in hopeless poverty and with no prospect of social advancement in their homeland European society. And with the key point being, none of them could afford to scrape up the money to pay a ship owner to pay for their transport to a new world of opportunity.

Which differs from our other wave of original new world immigrants, made up of wealthy religious European who could seek religious freedom in a new world and finance the transport to the new world on their own nickle. And once that group of white Protestants reached the New World and starting establishing themselves, they found themselves with a acute labor shortage. And as a result the initial idea of indentured servants had some appeal. Recruit the young dregs of European society, pay for their passage to a new world, pay them starvation wages for a limited time, and once that time was up, they gained their full freedom and some skills, and became firsts class new world citizens. Some of the wealthiest and most established American families can trace their origins back to such indentured servant roots. But once in the new world of opportunity, only a tiny minority of such indentured servants ever wanted to go back to Europe.

After that I totally agree, the concept of past American African slavery is nothing but wicked and lacking in any social virtues. Then or now.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
No one can truly pick their parents or the location of their birth. I find it odd that anyone can find any real justification for slavery. Many people have literally been worked to death on plantations or outright killed for sport like gladiators. Fathers and mothers have also had their daughters raped by their slave masters without any say in the matter. Slavery is a practice that is ripe for abuse and neglect. In many places and times in history, debtors have been turned into slaves when they could not pay their debts. People should study up on slavery before they go mouthing off about how great it was. Maybe they should try being whipped a few times to see how great that is.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Some indentured servants were decently treated, others were not. The white man's avarice & greed knew no racial boundaries. Social convention evolved to where it was unacceptable to treat whites as poorly as blacks, and ultimately to where both were treated equally badly by the ownership class, which required the Civil War to get there, along with 100 years of Jim Crow in its wake.

Indentured servitude was, nonetheless, a voluntary & temporary arrangement, perhaps with hidden consequences & conditions, which slavery was not. Indentured servants enjoyed the protection of the law, primitive as it was, while slaves had none whatsoever.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
No one can truly pick their parents or the location of their birth. I find it odd that anyone can find any real justification for slavery.

I dont see anyone justifying slavery.

Many people have literally been worked to death on plantations or outright killed for sport like gladiators.

And many still are today.

Fathers and mothers have also had their daughters raped by their slave masters without any say in the matter. Slavery is a practice that is ripe for abuse and neglect.

I dont think anyone on this board would disagree that slavery itself IS abuse and neglect.

In many places and times in history, debtors have been turned into slaves when they could not pay their debts.

Still happens today.

People should study up on slavery before they go mouthing off about how great it was. Maybe they should try being whipped a few times to see how great that is.

And some people need to realize slavery has not disappeared, and in sheer numbers happens on a larger scale today than 200 years ago.

I dont think anyone, including those mentioned in the OP, are condoning slavery. My best friend's wife is black, and I showed this thread to him, to which he replied "We've talked about this many times, and Mary (fictitious name of course) realizes as bad as her ancestors had it (they came over on the boats in the mid 1700's) she is thankful she wasnt born in her ancestor's native country". I guess its all about perspective.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
So you would rather be in Africa dying of AIDS or starvation or genocidal warlords or famine or etc?

That wouldn't be SheHateMe dying of starvation. It'd be a completely different person does not exist in this world, and I see no reason to worry about the non-existent. What is worth having concern over is the tangible, like those that actually did suffer as a result of the actions of some of our ancestors that actually did exist.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012

LOL. Unbelievable

29z7qkl.jpg

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I dont think anyone, including those mentioned in the OP, are condoning slavery. My best friend's wife is black, and I showed this thread to him, to which he replied "We've talked about this many times, and Mary (fictitious name of course) realizes as bad as her ancestors had it (they came over on the boats in the mid 1700's) she is thankful she wasnt born in her ancestor's native country". I guess its all about perspective.

It's impossible to say what modern Africa might be like had they not suffered the depredations of Colonialism, making such scenarios meaningless.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
And some people need to realize slavery has not disappeared, and in sheer numbers happens on a larger scale today than 200 years ago.

I rather suspect that's misleading. As a % of world population, slavery has obviously been greatly diminished from 200 years ago.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
/facepalm

Have you considered that perhaps Africa is in the state it is because of slavery? :rolleyes:

The whole continent wasn't marked by slavery, Zimbabwe is just as poor as Nigeria yet Zimbabwe was not a slave supplier...The whole continent is a mess and it was a mess even before the slave trade began [the tribes were killing each other and enslaving each other since forever], gotta blame something though i suppose, right ?

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
The whole continent wasn't marked by slavery, Zimbabwe is just as poor as Nigeria yet Zimbabwe was not a slave supplier...The whole continent is a mess and it was a mess even before the slave trade began [the tribes were killing each other and enslaving each other since forever], gotta blame something though i suppose, right ?

European Colonialism also destroyed some countries within Africa. Not to mention raping Africa of its Natural Resources.

There are still a lot of Diamonds left in Africa, however European Jewelers continue to drive the Blood Diamond Industry in Africa and those of us in the first world don't mind passively supporting it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Read up-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery

Particularly this-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery#African_participation_in_the_slave_trade

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Also seen Kenya which was recommended as a country where it would be fun to be a citizen what with its $1700/capita GDP.

European Colonialism also destroyed some countries within Africa. Not to mention raping Africa of its Natural Resources.

Because things have certainly gotten better after kicking out those europeans. See for instance Zimbabwe

There are still a lot of Diamonds left in Africa, however European Jewelers continue to drive the Blood Diamond Industry in Africa and those of us in the first world don't mind passively supporting it.

There are a lot of diamonds sitting in Debeers warehouse.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
That wouldn't be SheHateMe dying of starvation. It'd be a completely different person does not exist in this world, and I see no reason to worry about the non-existent. What is worth having concern over is the tangible, like those that actually did suffer as a result of the actions of some of our ancestors that actually did exist.

But you do see a reason to concern yourself with people who have been dead for nearly a hundred years or more?

That certainly does not seem to be very tangible does it?

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
So yet another GOP'er who is batshit insane. And the sad part is, he will probably get re-elected.

Who is voting for Nancy freaking Pelosi, Barbara Boxer, Barney Frank, Dick Durbin and that idiot who leads the senate? I'm not saying the right doesn't have their own asshats. They have Plenty! You just don't here about the Dems as much since the Mainstream media looks the other way.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Who is voting for Nancy freaking Pelosi, Barbara Boxer, Barney Frank, Dick Durbin and that idiot who leads the senate? I'm not saying the right doesn't have their own asshats. They have Plenty! You just don't here about the Dems as much since the Mainstream media looks the other way.

I'd love to hear comparable instances of stupidity from those representatives, so please post. And please don't give me gaffes, show me their personal feelings/beliefs that are so ridiculous that they should be completely ignored.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
But you do see a reason to concern yourself with people who have been dead for nearly a hundred years or more?

That certainly does not seem to be very tangible does it?

The guy in the op's story (who you seem to adamantly defend) said the action of slavery as it happened (i.e. in this world to real life people) was a good thing.

ModerateRepZero

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2006
The argument seems to be that if something good is a result of something horrible happening, that should be relevant in the way we think about the horrible event. I don't think that's the case, particularly when the intention of those behind the bad things was not to create the positive effect.

This ^^. Just because something positive resulted from a horrible act doesn't mean we should consider if the act was justifiable or could be excused. I happen to know a classmate whose sister was brutally murdered as a minor. Her mother has since founded an organization that champions victim's rights. Some good has certainly come out of that horrible deed, but it's insensitive, if not insulting, to say that the murder "was a good thing".