Slavery reparations rally

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: CripplerCrossface
Originally posted by: DaiShan
I think it is a great Idea, I mean someone they never knew was put through the unspeakable, so we should obviously give them reparations. My great great great grandfather had to work 2 jobs so his family could eat, 2 of his children died because of this, I DEMAND reparations in the ammount of 1 million dollars per each death. Grow a backbone and get a job, stop trying to get something for nothing, there is a reason why you live in poverty, and guess what...it is not "the man"

Who exactly is living in poverty. last time i checked the "poor" black population was only about 25%. the government has held back blacks up until about 1960 or when the civil rights movenment was at its peak. its awonder that the black middle class population is as large as it is. but u cant relistically expect a whole race of people to get back on their feet after only one generation.

And because of that, the government should just give them hundreds of billions because their ancestors were treated badly? They have the opportunity to build their lives and their future. But they can only do that through hard work (just like everyone else), and not through government handouts.

CripplerCrossface

Jun 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Nemesis77
Originally posted by: BlueApple
The racism in this thread is vile and gargantuan.

Examples please.

your entire post. i dont know how you could even type the last few statements in your post.

to say that 200 years of suffering and enslavement to blacks is pretty vile and gargantuan.

My entire post? OK, let's go through the key issues in my post one by one:

"If they hate living in USA so much. maybe they should move back to Africa"

What's racist about that? Obviously they seem to hate living in USA. So shouldn't they then move back to their ancestors homes where they were removed against their will? Why won't they do that? Because they are alot better off in USA? Then why do they whine if their alternative is even worse?

"Why do other races in USA do so well but blacks need government handouts"

Nothing racists there, just an honest question. I haven't seen any hispanics or asians lining up to get "repatations", they do just fine. Why should blacks get special treatment?

"I think the slaves that are alive should be compensated. And people who compensate should be the living slave-owners. And while they are at it, they could also demand money from the people who sold the slaves in the first place (that would be the blacks in Africa)"

Again, nothing racist there. Just an honest observation that the people who directly suffered from slavery should be compensated by the people who directly exploited them (as they did in Germany), Also, the people who sold slaves should also pay compensation.

"The fact that the ancestors of modern-day blacks were ferrioed across the Atlantic was propably the best thing that could have happened to blacks in USA."

That isn't racism, it's a FACT. Or do you claim that blacks in Africa are better off than blacks in USA? How did large part of american blacks end up in USA? Their ancestors were brought over as slaves.

It seems to me that you are hypersensitive and extremely PC.

one what is PC? two i didnt mean ur whole post i acvtually meant the last paragraph.

it may seem true to u but i would not want my ancestors to go through 200 years of suffering just so i can live the life i am living. just because one lives a certain lifestyle doesnt mean they will be happy. one could be just as satisfied with their life here as they can at any other place.
A lot races do so well (and this is my opinion correct me if im wrong) because they bring the best of the best here. theyre not gonna bring the homeless cambodian or a reckless korean. people that come from other countries for the most part alreadyt have education and the skills necessary to excel not only in the US but anywhere. but in the case of blacks we were in a situation where they werent taught to read or any oither skills and if they were taught they werent the in best of quality of schools(and it still isnt the best of quality) so there was only a slim opportunity for advancement up until about forty years ago.

I have already said that i disagree with reparations. they are just as harmful as affirmativea action and welfare are.

and u cant possibly say that everything that blacks went through the past 350 years was the best thing that have happened to blacks. if it was the best thing for anyone its the white people because the nation would not have been as prosperous as it is now without the slaves. plus u dont know what would have happend so u cant say that its the best thing that has happened. it is not a fact its just your fscked up opinion.

CripplerCrossface

Jun 24, 2002
Originally posted by: DaiShan
I think it is a great Idea, I mean someone they never knew was put through the unspeakable, so we should obviously give them reparations. My great great great grandfather had to work 2 jobs so his family could eat, 2 of his children died because of this, I DEMAND reparations in the ammount of 1 million dollars per each death. Grow a backbone and get a job, stop trying to get something for nothing, there is a reason why you live in poverty, and guess what...it is not "the man"

Who exactly is living in poverty. last time i checked the "poor" black population was only about 25%. the government has held back blacks up until about 1960 or when the civil rights movenment was at its peak. its awonder that the black middle class population is as large as it is. but u cant relistically expect a whole race of people to get back on their feet after only one generation.

And because of that, the government should just give them hundreds of billions because their ancestors were treated badly? They have the opportunity to build their lives and their future. But they can only do that through hard work (just like everyone else), and not through government handouts.

youre not seeing that i agree with you on that point. i agree wholly on what u just said. but cant go saying that what my mother and her decsendants went though for the past 350 years was worth it so i can have all of the "perks" of living in america. U just want someone to disagree with and youre not seeing that I dont agree with reparations affirmatibve action welfare of any other type of handout. but u are on point with your last post

Pooteh

Aug 12, 2002

it may seem true to u but i would not want my ancestors to go through 200 years of suffering just so i can live the life i am living. just because one lives a certain lifestyle doesnt mean they will be happy. one could be just as satisfied with their life here as they can at any other place.

it might seem cruel, but most of our ancestors went through hell in some way or another so we could live our comfortable lives.

A lot races do so well (and this is my opinion correct me if im wrong) because they bring the best of the best here. theyre not gonna bring the homeless cambodian or a reckless korean. people that come from other countries for the most part alreadyt have education and the skills necessary to excel not only in the US but anywhere. but in the case of blacks we were in a situation where they werent taught to read or any oither skills and if they were taught they werent the in best of quality of schools(and it still isnt the best of quality) so there was only a slim opportunity for advancement up until about forty years ago.

that maybe true for some, but not all. many refugees and stuff have done well throughout the history of the US. Even the irish who were the white black people came over and worked their way up from the bottom within a generation or two. as for your korean example, not so great. koreans and viet/cambodien make up the poorest of the asian populations in the US. this is a general stats of course.

I have already said that i disagree with reparations. they are just as harmful as affirmativea action and welfare are.

and u cant possibly say that everything that blacks went through the past 350 years was the best thing that have happened to blacks. if it was the best thing for anyone its the white people because the nation would not have been as prosperous as it is now without the slaves. plus u dont know what would have happend so u cant say that its the best thing that has happened. it is not a fact its just your fscked up opinion.

its just one way of looking at cruel history. black death wiping out whites has possibly made them more resistent to things like aids. you could look at things differently. and honestly, the blacks in africa don't have it good at all. the slaughter/genocide/slavery there has gone on for far longer then it has in the US. while slavery in the US was sh*tty, your living in the US now is not so sh*tty. that is the complexity of life:p who knows what evil your ancestors did thousands of years back so that you exist today.

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
one what is PC?

PC = Politically Correct

two i didnt mean ur whole post i acvtually meant the last paragraph.

OK, I'll repeat it here:

I think the slaves that are alive should be compensated. And people who compensate should be the living slave-owners. And while they are at it, they could also demand money from the people who sold the slaves in the first place (that would be the blacks in Africa). But to give money to people who never suffered from the slavery? To have people who never had slaves cough up that money? That's just plain stupid. The fact that the ancestors of modern-day blacks were ferrioed across the Atlantic was propably the best thing that could have happened to blacks in USA. Because of that, they live in a prosperous nation. Had the slavery not happened those people would be living in Africa with far lower standard of living.

Nothing racist there. Slaves should be compensated because they did suffer trendemously. Too bad they are all dead. Also, the people who pay that money should be the slave-owners. Too bad they too are dead. People who sold the slaves should also be punished. They too are dead and they were in Africa. And it is a fact that modern-day blacks in USA have benefitted trendemously from the fact that their ancestors were brought over. I mean, the blacks in USA have alot better standard of living that blacks in Africa do. If that wasn't the case and blacks in Africa were better off, then wouldn't the blacks in USA move back there? For some reason, I don't see them doing that.

Again, I fail to see the racism there.

it may seem true to u but i would not want my ancestors to go through 200 years of suffering just so i can live the life i am living.

My family-members were killed in our wars against Soviet-Union. Should I then receive money from SU because my ancestors suffered at the hands of the Russians? NO!

just because one lives a certain lifestyle doesnt mean they will be happy.

If they aren't happy, then they should change their lifestyle. If they are unhappy in USA, maybe they should move away from USA.

A lot races do so well (and this is my opinion correct me if im wrong) because they bring the best of the best here. theyre not gonna bring the homeless cambodian or a reckless korean.

the Vietnamese boat-people? All the refugees that come to USA? All those deadbeats who moved to USA during the last few hundred years? They weren't rich, but they worked hard and they achieved something.

people that come from other countries for the most part alreadyt have education and the skills necessary to excel not only in the US but anywhere.

If it takes education, then why don't blacks educate themselves?

but in the case of blacks we were in a situation where they werent taught to read or any oither skills and if they were taught they werent the in best of quality of schools(and it still isnt the best of quality) so there was only a slim opportunity for advancement up until about forty years ago.

That might be true before the civil-rights movements. But it's NOT true when it comes to todays blacks! Why should they get money for something that did not happen to them? All blacks have the opportunity to go to the same schools as whites do.

Had they not been brought here, they would still be in Africa. And just look what kind of hell-hole that place is. And Northern USA (Union) was prosperous even though there were no slaves there.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
A lot races do so well (and this is my opinion correct me if im wrong) because they bring the best of the best here. theyre not gonna bring the homeless cambodian or a reckless korean. people that come from other countries for the most part alreadyt have education and the skills necessary to excel not only in the US but anywhere. but in the case of blacks we were in a situation where they werent taught to read or any oither skills and if they were taught they werent the in best of quality of schools(and it still isnt the best of quality) so there was only a slim opportunity for advancement up until about forty years ago

Not necessarily true. My parents and most of my relatives who are first generation immigrants came speaking zero english and barely a high school education. They came with little money and only had one family member who already lived in the U.S. They are successful now because of hard work and perseverence. Of course, we're talking about completely different eras. Also, the best of the best of most races, from my experiences, stay in their home countries.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
as a person who has a mixed racial family (I have 2 sisters, a brother in law and a aunt that are black) I feel that slavery reparations would be really bad for the black society. It will hurt race relations, increase the sense of entitlement and generally not do any good for people.

How will they say who pays and who gets paid? What about people that came here after slavery? What about blacks that came here after slavery will they get paid also? How much will they want? Will they come back and want more or a yearly handout? Will we be able to cancel AA?

Many blacks will just blow the money on useless things (granted that will help the economy) instead of using it to get out of the situation they are in.

I feel instead of reparations we should put more money into the city. Increase the amount of schools and get some better teachers.

Granted I know its not that they don?t want to pay teachers its that teachers don?t want to go into the city. The students don?t show up and when they do they don?t pay attention and the ones that do want a education have a hard time because of the other students. All in all I really don?t think reparations will solve anything in fact I think it will cause more harm then good.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
BTW, I never understood the concept of Slavery Reparations. If something like that was passed, would every single black person born from now until the end of time get some money from the gov't? Thinking of it from that aspect makes the whole thing idiotic...

NorthRiver

Golden Member
May 6, 2002
Hopefully they deduct all of the welfare money that has been given out!

Find the ancestors of the slave traders, and bill them, not the U.S. government!

CripplerCrossface

Jun 24, 2002

this is more of a social problem that plaques black people which is a whole other topic. but in any situation thats easier said than done.

That might be true before the civil-rights movements. But it's NOT true when it comes to todays blacks! Why should they get money for something that did not happen to them? All blacks have the opportunity to go to the same schools as whites do.
Sure. I WISH i had the opportunity to attend a suburban school. A lot of blacks do not have the opportunity to go to the same schools as whites. maybe in terms of collges but in elementary and secondary school the inner city students dont even get close the quality of schools as the suburbs. So even if they do get to go to the same colleges they are at a severe disadvantage.

Had they not been brought here, they would still be in Africa. And just look what kind of hell-hole that place is. And Northern USA (Union) was prosperous even though there were no slaves there.

they did have some slaves in the north. not in the proportion that it was south but they did. either way they benefited from the slaves financially. The entire continent of africa is not a hell hole. it may not be the best place in the world. but it is not a hell hole.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001

this is more of a social problem that plaques black people which is a whole other topic. but in any situation thats easier said than done.

Sure. I WISH i had the opportunity to attend a suburban school. A lot of blacks do not have the opportunity to go to the same schools as whites. maybe in terms of collges but in elementary and secondary school the inner city students dont even get close the quality of schools as the suburbs. So even if they do get to go to the same colleges they are at a severe disadvantage.

Lack of educational opportunity is kinda weak, IMO. Why not just move? If a parent cared so much about the education their kids were getting, why not move to a better school district?

Pooteh

Aug 12, 2002

which can be said for any race. suburban/rich areas will have better schools, theres no getting around that. they have involved parents, fundraising, higher property values, higher general achievment to keep standards higher.

they did have some slaves in the north. not in the proportion that it was south but they did. either way they benefited from the slaves financially. The entire continent of africa is not a hell hole. it may not be the best place in the world. but it is not a hell hole.

either way african benifited financially from slavery too:p its a moot point.

CripplerCrossface

Jun 24, 2002
Originally posted by: iamme

Lack of educational opportunity is kinda weak, IMO. Why not just move? If a parent cared so much about the education their kids were getting, why not move to a better school district?

I had a covo like this when i was like 8 or 9

ME: "Mom, our schools suck and they dont clean our water and the cops are corrupt, lets move!"

Mom: "I can't."

Me: "Why the fsck not?"

Mom: "I just can't"
:(

Me: "come on all u have to do is find some way to increase your income by about $30,000 find someway to get a $20,000 down payment so we can get a new house."

Mom: "you know damn well thats impossible. we can hardly pay the rent we got now. now go come on we got to go to good will."

Me: "I thought you cared about me!!"

Mom: "Shut up or you'll be wearing hand-me-downs!"

I did this little example to show that people can't "just move".
I pondered this for a while when i was younger until I accepted that fact.
The only thing i can do is finish out school and have a good career so my child will not have to be put in the worst school district in the state. My mother cared very much but caring doesn't pay the bills.

Pooteh

Aug 12, 2002
perhaps in your case, but here many of my parents friends families have severely downgraded their living conditions to attain better school districts.

its like this:

big/medium house in cr@ppy school district

OR

tiny pathetic old house in good school district.

say you move to the cr@ppy house at kids age 8. you then just live there and suffer for 10 years.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
A one time payment would pull so many off of welfare elligibility, that it might break even financially, and do the whole nation a lot of good.

CripplerCrossface

Jun 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Pooteh

which can be said for any race. suburban/rich areas will have better schools, theres no getting around that. they have involved parents, fundraising, higher property values, higher general achievment to keep standards higher.

it COULD be said for any race but primarily it affects blacks and hispanics. But just beacuse people in the suburbs have more money doesnt mean that their curriculi should be so much better than the inner-city schools. its not so much the parents or the fundraisers or any of that other stuff it is the curriculum and what is offered to the students

Pooteh

Aug 12, 2002

so the blacks and hispanics happen to be poor. do poor white areas have vastly higher achievement? i doubt it. so its just poverty as a factor, not race. how involved are such parents? probably far less. either way, your probably barking up the wrong tree. the teachers cannot teach at such a fast pace that it leaves 99% of the students behind. if the general achievement of the population of students is poor, it will probably drag everyones standards down. then again there are people who make it out of such schools that do well, so its not the rule:p

CripplerCrossface

Jun 24, 2002
perhaps in your case, but here many of my parents friends families have severely downgraded their living conditions to attain better school districts.

its like this:

big/medium house in cr@ppy school district

OR

tiny pathetic old house in good school district.

say you move to the cr@ppy house at kids age 8. you then just live there and suffer for 10 years.

That could be done. but in my case there isnt much to downgrade.
And there are many other alternatives like home schooling. but realistically a vast majority of people arent going to do that.

CripplerCrossface

Jun 24, 2002
so the blacks and hispanics happen to be poor. do poor white areas have vastly higher achievement? i doubt it. so its just poverty as a factor, not race. how involved are such parents? probably far less. either way, your probably barking up the wrong tree. the teachers cannot teach at such a fast pace that it leaves 99% of the students behind. if the general achievement of the population of students is poor, it will probably drag everyones standards down. then again there are people who make it out of such schools that do well, so its not the rule:p
thats what i want them to do. separate the students that can do the worrk and at least OFFER them something higher or more accelerated. there are many talented inner-city kids that are not given the chance to excel becuse of so many damning factors. first you have the lack of challenge for talented students and then you have affirmative action which basically says no matter what you do in high school you will get into a college. add that to the other 90% of kids wanting to beat the sh!t out of you because of jealousy and social problems. and thats not just in the innercity but in all classes of blacks but like i said thats a whole other issue.

some people make it out of these but they are at a disadvantage (trust me i found out the hard way).

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
I had a covo like this when i was like 8 or 9

ME: "Mom, our schools suck and they dont clean our water and the cops are corrupt, lets move!"

Mom: "I can't."

Me: "Why the fsck not?"

Mom: "I just can't"
:(

Me: "come on all u have to do is find some way to increase your income by about $30,000 find someway to get a $20,000 down payment so we can get a new house."

Mom: "you know damn well thats impossible. we can hardly pay the rent we got now. now go come on we got to go to good will."

Me: "I thought you cared about me!!"

Mom: "Shut up or you'll be wearing hand-me-downs!"

I did this little example to show that people can't "just move".
I pondered this for a while when i was younger until I accepted that fact.
The only thing i can do is finish out school and have a good career so my child will not have to be put in the worst school district in the state. My mother cared very much but caring doesn't pay the bills.

Increase your income by $30,000?? $20,000 downpayment for a new house?
What about living in an apartment? You can move into a non-ghetto-school-district and not have to buy a house.

Shutup or you'll be wearing hand-me-downs?
What's wrong w/ that? My little sister had my hand-me-downs. That's how my parents saved money.

The only thing i can do is finish out school and have a good career so my child will not have to be put in the worst school district in the state.
How many generations have your family lived in the U.S. before it took you to figure that out. I know it sounds harsh, but blacks have been in America for a looooong time. I'm not saying your parents didn't care, but all I see are excuses.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy

Many blacks will just blow the money on useless things (granted that will help the economy)

how would it help the economy any more than leaving it where it currently is (in the hands of taxpayers)

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: waggy

Many blacks will just blow the money on useless things (granted that will help the economy)

how would it help the economy any more than leaving it where it currently is (in the hands of taxpayers)

I just wish the Slave Reparations advocates would realize that any money paid to them, would come out of taxpayers' pockets. Them as well. I'm guessing that the gov't would raise taxes somewhere to pay these reparations. Blacks would probably end up paying those taxes along with whites. It's so silly...

CripplerCrossface

Jun 24, 2002
What about living in an apartment? You can move into a non-ghetto-school-district and not have to buy a house.

yeah sure. ive said at least two times that there was hardly enough money to pay the rent and utilities. I consider it a miracle that my mom took care of me and my siblings in this neighborhood and kept us off the streets. and i of course know that we dont have to live in a house. but when the house was purchased i had two parents and now i have one. someone making $5 above min. wage simply CANNOT live in the suburbs. (i just know someone is gonna be anal and pick that apart)the average apartment costs like $600 a month where i am at. in the burbs its like $1000. $10 x 40 hrs = $400/wk, $1600/mo. take tax out and u have about $1200 after taxes and insurance. add a little car payment in there and bam thats all the money. it would have been close to impossible in my situation to have lived in the suburbs. its not just some excuse.

What's wrong w/ that? My little sister had my hand-me-downs. That's how my parents saved money.

I got cracked on enough because i was smarter than everyone else. I wouldn't add to the trauma of my childhood. It hurts when u have 20 people yell "bobos!!!, bobos!!" I got my black ass up and bought some air force ones with my hustle.
My mother wasnt like other parents that thinks its cute to buy little tims and iversons and dress them up similar to them. I didnt even have any name-brand clothing until my junior year of hs. And i had a job then. in a black neighborhood to not floss and not be "down" with everyone else is a tramatic experience for most.

How many generations have your family lived in the U.S. before it took you to figure that out. I know it sounds harsh, but blacks have been in America for a looooong time. I'm not saying your parents didn't care, but all I see are excuses.

1. blacks have been here for a long time but we havent been granted the same oppotunities. and keep in mind the word is "parent". my mother gave all she could so we could get what we had. if my parents had stayed together i would have been in such a screwed up situation but hey, things happen. and keep in mind this is a family that actually cares.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
what does "bobos! bobos!" mean?

BTW, getting made fun of because you don't wear brand name clothing, is not just a black neighborhood thing. All kids go through that.

CripplerCrossface

Jun 24, 2002
that just shows u r clueless to what i go thorugh. j/k

bobos are cheap shoes. i.e. not nike, timberland, new balance, reebok.

i could only afford (discontinued)pumas and payless shoes.

i know its not just a black neighborhood thing. just think of it as what a suburban child would do and times that by about 8. cause the kids arent talking about school obviously so all the have to talk about is what i have on or who chaquita is ****ing. and then they aks me for my homework. not ask, "aks".