News Slavery in the 21st Century Cotton Fields

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
More than half a million people from ethnic minority groups in Xinjiang have been coerced into picking cotton, on a scale far greater than previously thought, new research has suggested.
The Xinjiang region produces more than 20% of the world’s cotton and 84% of China’s, but according to a new report released on Tuesday by the Center for Global Policy there is significant evidence that it is “tainted” by human rights abuses, including suspected forced labour of Uighur and other Turkic Muslim minority people.

The revelations came as the international criminal court (ICC) said it did not have the jurisdiction to investigate allegations of crimes against humanity and genocide in Xinjiang.

Horrifying stuff. If this is accurate, then the rest of the world should be sanctioning China... but of course we outsourced our entire supply chain to China, so no chance of that happening.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Horrifying indeed. Also seems like no one cares, that sweet shareholder value must take precedence

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
It's worse. They harvest organs too.
Literally selling "halal" organs to wealthy foreign Muslims.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Yeah no one like to read this this kind of stuff. But the fact is, slavery (in forms like this) is alive and well in the world. Goes hand in hand with human trafficking.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
the US supplies 35% of the world's cotton, doesn't abandoning the TPP result in greater Chinese cotton exports?

That's irrelevant. What the TPP did was to set standards for everything from worker rights to environmental practices for countries in the pacific region. These standards were set without Chinese input and had we supported it and passed it, China would have had to succumb to its standards in order to do business with us and other countries. Instead, we now have China setting the standards and rules.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
That's irrelevant. What the TPP did was to set standards for everything from worker rights to environmental practices for countries in the pacific region. These standards were set without Chinese input and had we supported it and passed it, China would have had to succumb to its standards in order to do business with us and other countries. Instead, we now have China setting the standards and rules.
We were not going to prevent Chinese influence in the region with yet another neoliberal free trade agreement that would only continue the race to the bottom for low income workers, and also excluded other significant players in the region. Support for the TPP was lukewarm at best from many economists and academics.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
This, the US had painstakingly put together a deal with other countries in the region who understood it was their best chance to get China to compete on a fair basis. When the US bailed on the TPP we pulled the rug out from under them and opened the door for China to cut its own deal. We destroyed years of diplomatic work for a slogan for simple minded people to embrace.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
We were not going to prevent Chinese influence in the region with yet another neoliberal free trade agreement that would only continue the race to the bottom for low income workers, and also excluded other significant players in the region. Support for the TPP was lukewarm at best from many economists and academics.

Your ignorance of the agreement is not surprising.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
How am I wrong?
By assuming that we "liberals" were in favor of Trump's abandoning of the TPP (because it was an Obama project mostly) thus directly leading to Red China making unilateral deals with all of our (former?) allies. Or further, for thinking all of we "liberals" are in favor of Red China. IMO Nixon's opening of China was a mixed bag at best, and Reagan's pushing of US companies to outsource there was a horrendous tragedy that has hollowed out the USA.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Slavery in the 21st Century Cotton Fields

Horrifying stuff. If this is accurate, then the rest of the world should be sanctioning China... but of course we outsourced our entire supply chain to China, so no chance of that happening.

Rest of the world, eh?

Human history is filled with slave based societies. In the past few hundred years it is Western Civilization that has made an effort to live up to our own ideals, our judeo christian values and oppose human nature as it has been practiced world over for millennia. Our nations adopted a concept of human rights and ended slavery among our borders while pushing others to do the same.

China is not part of Western Civilization and has other priorities. Such as acquiring and maintaining the strength needed to oppose us. If slavery will help them survive in this world, then they will make use of it. We have always known how they treat people. None of this should come as a surprise or even news. China, without our influence, will simply do what humans do "best". And with history as our guide, good things do not come of that.

It is up to us to push them into a different pursuit and a more humane use of their power. For that we must incentivize human rights as a condition of trade. We must value and place human rights above the value of doing business.

HOWEVER, as China exists under a different model of Government structure, we must learn to cut a finer line than the brute force of "you will become like us". We cannot achieve our goal if our stated purpose is antithetical to their survival. It would do us well to learn the nuance of how a nation like China can improve quality of life in their own way. And ask them to achieve it.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
By assuming that we "liberals" were in favor of Trump's abandoning of the TPP (because it was an Obama project mostly) thus directly leading to Red China making unilateral deals with all of our (former?) allies. Or further, for thinking all of we "liberals" are in favor of Red China. IMO Nixon's opening of China was a mixed bag at best, and Reagan's pushing of US companies to outsource there was a horrendous tragedy that has hollowed out the USA.

I assumed nothing. I made a comment based on those that had already posted.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Rest of the world, eh?

Human history is filled with slave based societies. In the past few hundred years it is Western Civilization that has made an effort to live up to our own ideals, our judeo christian values and oppose human nature as it has been practiced world over for millennia. Our nations adopted a concept of human rights and ended slavery among our borders while pushing others to do the same.

China is not part of Western Civilization and has other priorities. Such as acquiring and maintaining the strength needed to oppose us. If slavery will help them survive in this world, then they will make use of it. We have always known how they treat people. None of this should come as a surprise or even news. China, without our influence, will simply do what humans do "best". And with history as our guide, good things do not come of that.

It is up to us to push them into a different pursuit and a more humane use of their power. For that we must incentivize human rights as a condition of trade. We must value and place human rights above the value of doing business.

HOWEVER, as China exists under a different model of Government structure, we must learn to cut a finer line than the brute force of "you will become like us". We cannot achieve our goal if our stated purpose is antithetical to their survival. It would do us well to learn the nuance of how a nation like China can improve quality of life in their own way. And ask them to achieve it.

Oh fuck off with that. Slavery is an abhorrent violation of human decency, regardless of the government structure. Saying "stop sending entire ethnic groups to slave labour camps" is not forcing them to become like us.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Your ignorance of the agreement is not surprising.
Edgy. Paul Krugman amongst other notable economists were quite critical of TPP, as was Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders. You being an edgelord over a well documented and complex debate is expected. Not surprising that neoliberal waterboy bitches think TPP was a good deal.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Edgy. Paul Krugman amongst other notable economists were quite critical of TPP, as was Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders. You being an edgelord over a well documented and complex debate is expected. Not surprising that neoliberal waterboy bitches think TPP was a good deal.

Like I said, your ignorance on it isn't surprising at all.

Reactions: Pohemi

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
There is slavery in your home town. I had a ethnic Indian born in Uganda point out a slave kept in our neighborhood by a wealthy African family that brought a slave with them. It was hidden in plain sight..

If you have eaten a banana you are contributing to the slave trade. Try getting on a plantation.

Twenty years ago a friend wanted me to buy a tea plantation with him in India. It was easily a cash deal and I was tempted. The plantations were for sale because for the first time in history the owners were being forced to pay the workers.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Oh fuck off with that. Slavery is an abhorrent violation of human decency, regardless of the government structure. Saying "stop sending entire ethnic groups to slave labour camps" is not forcing them to become like us.

You do not understand what I said.

Our mistake has always been to associate a Democratic form of government with human rights. To demand one with the other. That is what I speak of. China's government structure cannot be part of our efforts. It is antithetical to their existence to abandon it, and is a non starter for negotiations.

Making them treat people better is the nuance I speak of.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
the US supplies 35% of the world's cotton, doesn't abandoning the TPP result in greater Chinese cotton exports?
Never realized how much cotton California grows until I was driving down I 5 apparently during harvest season. Couldn't figure out what those huge white mottled blocks were out in the field until I got a better look. They are about 4th or 5th in the US.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
yawn. My “ignorance” is informed by people far more intelligent than you.

Lol your ignorance is formed by peoples opinions who also hadn't seen the agreement and were speculating. You'd know that had you even bothered to read their opinions on it but you couldn't even be bothered to do that and you have the gall to call others water boys as you uncritically carry water for peoples opinions you haven't even read! Lol!

Like I said, totally unsurprising.