Slavery has benefited descendants...there is a superior athletic gene’?

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Some scientists believe a combination of selective breeding by slave owners and appalling conditions meant that only the strongest slaves endured, creating a group predisposed to record-breaking athletic performance.

African slaves underwent a rigorous selection process and only the fittest were transported on ships.

lol. Way to glorify throwing a lot of starving people into a confined area resulting in competition and killing/starvation of the weaker.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
lol. Way to glorify throwing a lot of starving people into a confined area resulting in competition and killing/starvation of the weaker.

I don't think you understand the conditions for slaves or the selective breeding that occurred. Home schooling ftl.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I don't think you understand the conditions for slaves or the selective breeding that occurred. Home schooling ftl.

Put up re: selective breeding or shut up bitch.

EDIT: This guy says you're wrong.

It may be objected that the outcome could have reflected selective breeding rather than family stability. But selective breeding was tried in the Caribbean and elsewhere and never worked; there is no evidence that it was ever tried on a large scale in the South. Abolitionists charged that Virginia and Maryland deliberately raised slaves—not merely encouraged but actually fostered slave breeding. There is, however, no evidence for slave breeding on a significant scale. If slave-raising farms existed and if the planters were not complete fools, they would have concentrated on recruiting women of childbearing age and used a relatively small number of studs. Sample studies of major slave-exporting counties in Virginia and Maryland show no significant deviations from the patterns in Mississippi or other slave-buying regions.

EDIT: And this topic is already in the Google top 20 results for 'selective breeding slaves'. :awe:

Last edited:

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Put up re: selective breeding or shut up bitch.

EDIT: This guy says you're wrong.

EDIT: And this topic is already in the Google top 20 results for 'selective breeding slaves'. :awe:

And I'll believe the slaves:

Excerpts from "Remembering Slavery -- African Americans Talk About Their
Personal Experiences of Slavery and Emancipation", published by The New
Press in conjunction with the Library of Congress, 1998. This is a
compilation of interviews made by the Federal National Writer's Project
(NWP) in the 1930's with several thousand former slaves.

(The slang is as-written in the original interviews, which was attempting to
chronicle the slaves' dialect as well as history).

Former slave Rose Williams recalls playing hard-to-get with the the Buck she
was paired to breed with (pp. 129-130):

"Dere am one thing Massa Hawkins does to me what I can't shunt from my mind.
I knows he don't do it for meanness, but I allus holds it 'gainst him. What
he done am force me to live with dat ******, Rufus, 'gainst my wants.

"After I been at he place 'bout a year, de massa come to me and say, 'You
gwine live with Rufus in dat cabin over yonder. Go fix it for livin.' I's
'bout sixteen year old and has no larnin', and I's jus' igno'mus chile. I's
thought dat him mean for me to tend de cabin for Rufus and some other
******s. Well, dat am start de pestigation for me.

"I's took charge of de cabin after work am done and fixes supper. Naw, I
don't like dat Rufus, 'cause he a bully. He am big and cause he so, he think
everybody do what him say. We'uns has supper, den I goes here and dare
talkin', till I's ready for sleep and den I gits in de bunk. After I's in,
dat ****** come and crawl in de bunk with me 'fore I knows it. I says, 'What
you means, you fool ******?' He say for me to hush de mouth. 'Dis am my
bunk, too,' he say.

"'You's teched in de head. Git out,' I's told him, and I puts de feet
'gainst him and give him a shove and out he go on de floor 'fore he knew
what I's doin'. Dat ****** jump up and he mad. He look like de wild bear. He
starts for de bunk and I jumps quick fer de poker. It am 'bout three feet
long and when he comes at me I lets him have it over de head. Did dat ******
stop in his tracks I's say he did. He looks at me steady for a minute and
you's could tell he thinkin' hard. Den he go and set on de bench and say,
'Jus' wait. You thinks it am smart, but you's am foolish in de head. Dey's
gwine larn you somethin.'

"'Hush yous big mouth and stay 'way from dis ******, dat all I wants,' I
say, and jus' sets and hold dat poker in de hand. He jus' sets, lookin' like
de bull. Dere we'uns sets and sets for 'bout and hour and den he go out and
I bars de door.

"De nex' day I goes to de missy and tells her what Rufus wants and missy say
dat am de massa's wishes. She say, 'Yous am de portly gal and Rufus am de
portly man. De massa wants you-uns for to bring forth portly chillen.'

"I's thinkin' 'bout what de missy say, but say to myself, 'I's not gwine
live with dat Rufus.' Dat night when him come in de cabin, I grabs de poker
and sits on de bench and says, 'Git 'way from me, ******, 'fore I busts yous
brains out and stomp on dem.' He say nothin' and git out.

"De nex' day de massa call me and tell me, 'Woman, I's pay big money for you
and I's done dat for de cause I wants you to raise me chillens. I's put yous
to live with Rufus for dat purpose. Now, if you doesn't want whippin' at de
stake, yous do what I wants.

"I thinks 'bout massa buyin me offen de block and savin' me from bein'
sep'rated from my folks and 'bout bein' whipped at de stake. Dere it am.
What am I's to do? So I'cides to do as de massa wish and so I yields. ..."

Even funnier, is your original post you quoted:

Some scientists believe a combination of selective breeding by slave owners and appalling conditions meant that only the strongest slaves endured, creating a group predisposed to record-breaking athletic performance.

But the saddest thing is your interpretation. And little twerp like you with your homo threads in OT calling me a bitch? LOL.

Last edited:

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
And I'll believe the slaves:

Even funnier, is your original post you quoted:

But the saddest thing is your interpretation. And little twerp like you with your homo threads in OT calling me a bitch? LOL.

That anecdote only supports your point in the slightest, and the quote I took issue to not at all. Yeah, I can see how it is easy for a redneck slave owner to think "Hey, breed the two biggest bulls and you get more bulls; breed the two biggest slaves and you get bigger slaves!" and wouldn't argue that it didn't happen. What I don't see evidence of is European slave owners going around pitting black people off of each other like Pokemon and then using their massa balls to catch the very best.

What is funny about my interpretation? I already acknowledged the "appalling conditions" part. What I want proof of is wide scale "selective breeding" and "a rigorous selection process". Are you incapable of arguing without resorting to hilarious personal attacks and e-stalking? My "homo threads", I mean SRSLY. :awe:

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
There are a fair amount of good African (as in not African-American / mixed race) runners right? That would suggest it wasn't something that was bread in or out of slaves.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
So do some science to answer the question... Take random population samples from various parts of the US and from the parts of Africa where their ancestors came from, and start comparing.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olymp...ndants-run-faster-because-155858303--oly.html

Four-time gold medalist Michael Johnson believes the question of why black athletes dominate Olympic sprint competitions shouldn't be taboo. In the lead-up to the London Games, he's trying to broach the controversial topic.
Johnson, who recently had his lineage traced back to West Africa as part of a British documentary, told the Daily Mail that slavery has "left an imprint through the generations."
The eight men who ran in the 100-meter finals -- all African-American or African-Caribbean -- in Beijing are believed to have been descended from slaves, according to the documentary.
[ Related: Michael Johnson's golden runs in 1996 live on in Olympic history ]
"Difficult as it was to hear," Johnson said, "slavery has benefited descendants like me. I believe there is a superior athletic gene in us."

i find that to be hogwash. Dot Indians used to be british slaves, yet they aren't athletic at all.

Moved from OT and merged with the OP here.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Well... only the strong or genetically strong were able to survive in those crowded ships from africa to north america... many died to illnesses and amoung other things...

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Actually, only the strong fit ones were pulled from Africa cuz they were the onle ones worth shipping.
And any of them born in America who werent super strong just werent allowed to breed. Nobody killed them off.

But hey, dont let facts and logic get in the way of being liberal, it hasnt stopped anyone here.

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010
Actually, only the strong fit ones were pulled from Africa cuz they were the onle ones worth shipping.
And any of them born in America who werent super strong just werent allowed to breed. Nobody killed them off.

But hey, dont let facts and logic get in the way of being liberal, it hasnt stopped anyone here.

Yeah, those poor slave owners were just misunderstood (due to lies perpetuated by thems libruls). We, as a society, must be fair to the slave owners of the 19th century.

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
If you take two separate family lineages; one of them works in the field every day while the other does not, it is clear the working lineage will be physically stronger.

This is a basic concept that a 12 year old can figure out for themselves.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
if their ancestors had such a "superior athletic gene" why couldn't they outrun the white slave traders :colbert:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah, those poor slave owners were just misunderstood (due to lies perpetuated by thems libruls). We, as a society, must be fair to the slave owners of the 19th century.

If all you have is sarcasm and logical fallacies then you really dont have an argument.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Wait a second.

Are we know making whether or not slaves were selectively bred a left/right issue?