Slate's Saletan gone mad?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
In my daily reading I happened to stop by Slate. It seems their "Chief political correspondent", William Saletan(who is a Liberal), had a moment of clarity...or maybe he has been taken hostage by the "right-wing conspiracy".

Here it is: Pious Bias - Lies and the lying liars who attribute them to the other party.

You must read it all as I will not pull snippets from it.

IMO - he is 100% right with this column. The political games know no political affiliation - to think otherwise is quite foolish.

Kudos to a "sane" Liberal. <gasp> did I just say that?:Q;)

CkG

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
WOW!! That piece is right on target....I can hardly believe my eyes.....:)

PS I can think of a LOT of people around here that need to read this article........
rolleye.gif

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Yeah, you know I read that piece earlier. At first I was surprised to see something like that @ Slate (supposedly the bastion of liberality, or whatever), but it did nicely sum things up at the very end: "If you're interested in which wing lies more, you're probably not very interested in the truth." I'm not sure how I feel about the piece - I guess I agree, more or less, with it.

I do think there's shades of gray with politicians. Some are better than others. I still would rather see a politician lie about cheating on his wife, then the reasons for sending the country to war. :D One is simply a moral tragedy (in some people's view), while the other is a much greater human tragedy. I can differentiate them and rank their "badness" based on the effects each one has. It surprises me when other people can't.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Yep, both parties do dirty things. Both of them. Now isn't that special?

BUt there are quite a few people that cant recogonize this fact.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Yep, both parties do dirty things. Both of them. Now isn't that special?

BUt there are quite a few people that cant recogonize this fact.

I'll definately agree with this one. That is why I refuse to back a party based on "brand loyalty" Most elections I supported republicans. I was (and still am) not happy that most candidates here in MA run unopposed. They happen to be Democrats, but I would be equally unhappy with the reverse even if I agreed with the party in power completely A one choice office is a no choice office.