Slate: Bush lays an egg at the U.N.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Just got a chuckle at this piece over on Slate@MSN...you know that liberal, Bush-hating rag. ;)

Has an American president ever delivered such a bafflingly impertinent speech before the General Assembly as the one George W. Bush gave this morning?

Here were the world's foreign ministers and heads of state, anxiously awaiting some sign of an American concession to realism?even the sketchiest outline of a plan to share not just the burden but the power of postwar occupation in Iraq. And Bush gave them nothing, in some ways less than nothing.

Link

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
<regal voice>
The king does not share his power with peasants.
</regal voice>

villager

Oct 17, 2002
What else could Bush do? Say I made a mistake right before the elections. Thanks to his policies he is in a lifeboat and bailing water. Unfortunately for us, his policies in Iraq has put the country in that same lifeboat. We cant get out because of the damage it would do to our security so we all just going to have start bailing water and hope we can change the captain soon.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: SuperTool
It was clearly same old propaganda intended for domestic audience.

Yup, "look America, I went to the UN just like you asked. Nothing happened!"

He nor any of his tag alongs(Rice, Powell, others) even stayed to hear what others had to say.

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
from the article, it seems like a piss-poor presentation. he might as well have used power point.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Damn I missed it. Any Bush supporters feel like posting in this thread so I can get both points of view?

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Damn I missed it. Any Bush supporters feel like posting in this thread so I can get both points of view?

i would really like to see the speech...didt that NYTs link have the actual speech?

Dec 27, 2001
Slate: Fair And Balanced!

rolleye.gif

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

rolleye.gif
Wow! Eleven whole responses before a YABA dumps in the obligatory attack-the-source post. Care to explain why you disagree with their article, or have you even thought about it yet?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

rolleye.gif
Wow! Eleven whole responses before a YABA dumps in the obligatory attack-the-source post. Care to explain why you disagree with their article, or have you even thought about it yet?

Well first off it starts with: "Has an American president ever delivered such a bafflingly impertinent speech before the General Assembly as the one George W. Bush gave this morning?"

I can't imagine why it would be dissed :p

CkG

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Slate should be more careful - that's a microsoft site and it can be construed that microsoft is biting the hand that feeds it (bush & his regime keeping it out of serious DOJ trouble).

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

rolleye.gif

Well first off it starts with: "Has an American president ever delivered such a bafflingly impertinent speech before the General Assembly as the one George W. Bush gave this morning?"

I can't imagine why it would be dissed :p

CkG
Is it wrong? It rings true to me and seems fairly consistent with the opinions I've read and heard. We need the U.N.'s help, so Bush goes in and throws gas on the fire. There's a great strategy.

Next time he should try reading the article before dismissing it. People only reinforce their ignorance and bigotry when they insulate themselves from anything they might disagree with. They become much better informed and when they open their minds. That's one of Bush's great flaws -- he has zero tolerance for dissenting ideas. It leads him to make stupid decisions.

Dec 27, 2001

rolleye.gif

"Lays an egg" is a phrase which passes a judgement on his speech and pretty much let's you know from which perspective this writer is coming.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Insane3D

rolleye.gif

Never said it was either...it's an op-ed.

:)

Splendid. Then it's obviously not "news"...I guess it's "politics" then? Shall I post transcripts form the Rush Limbaugh show here every day?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

rolleye.gif

"Lays an egg" is a phrase which passes a judgement on his speech and pretty much let's you know from which perspective this writer is coming.

Perhaps the article was meant to "judge" the speach?

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski

rolleye.gif

Based on what? The results? We haven't seen them yet and, in reality, the true results are immeasurable...which is why I think it's unfair and unbalanced to be drawing conclusions at this point.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski

rolleye.gif

Based on what? The results? We haven't seen them yet and, in reality, the true results are immeasurable...which is why I think it's unfair and unbalanced to be drawing conclusions at this point.

If the results are not yet seen, then they truely are immeasurable. Well, unmeasurable at least.

Tell me, in a constructive sense, do you think Bushes address increased or diminished his chances of achieving his stated goal for increased international support for his position? Specifically, how so? What skill of diplomacy was used in addressing concerns about unilateral pre emptive military campaigns? His speech certainly was not formulated to illicit support from the UN. If your answer is that no matter what Bush said, he wasnt going to get support, then why was he there? Not to get help in that case. What audience was he playing to then?

I pose serious questions to you, in a direct but not hostile manner, because I really want to understand what you think of the speech in this context.

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
i dont think this article is intended as "journalism" in the objective sense. there is no evidence that it is suggesting that its tone is unintentional.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

rolleye.gif
Should we repeal the 1st Amendment in order to prevent this kind of offense to your sensibilities in the future?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic

rolleye.gif
Should we repeal the 1st Amendment in order to prevent this kind of offense to your sensibilities in the future?

Please don't let John Ascroft read what you just wrote......he may try! :Q

:p