Skyrim SE and LE are $19.99 @ Newegg (Steam code) right now

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Which one would I want? Does one include the other? (Does Special Edition include the three main DLCs? If I get the Legendary Edition that comes with all three DLCs, will that still qualify for the free SE version upgrade on Steam?)

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
They're both "complete" editions but Special Edition has engine improvements. Be aware that one "limitation" of sort is that most of the mods out there don't work on the Special Edition. If you have no intention of modding, get the Special Edition, if you want to be able to play with the full range of mods out there, get the Legendary Edition.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Which one would I want? Does one include the other? (Does Special Edition include the three main DLCs? If I get the Legendary Edition that comes with all three DLCs, will that still qualify for the free SE version upgrade on Steam?)

SE is more stable, is x64, superior support for >60fps (long story, can go into it more if that matters) and has a growing mod community. LE is x86, more unstable (specifically with a large number of mods), but a larger mod base with some specific advantages in the form of the mods available (namely, a specific mod extension called SKSE which permits a whole slew of new functionality is still being ported to SkyrimSE).

SE contains all the base content + DLCs so you won't miss anything if you just want to play that. IMO there's no reason to get anything but SE at this point, as the modding community is large enough and advanced enough that unless you want very, very specific mods (Requiem might be the only holdout for non-SE users), just have fun with SE's stability and advanced support.

Reactions: Red Hawk

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
For chrissakes, its been almost 6 years since this game came out. Give it a rest and stop buying LE, SE, super duper, amazing, whatever "versions" of the game they want to release and make them create something new.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
For chrissakes, its been almost 6 years since this game came out. Give it a rest and stop buying LE, SE, super duper, amazing, whatever "versions" of the game they want to release and make them create something new.
They likely are. The SE is an engine rewrite for Skyrim using the FO4 engine, it wasn't some herculean effort, and was released for free to previous owners of Skyrim (or maybe Skyrim + DLC). It also has renewed interest in the game due to extended modding potential, and improved the state of things for people who haven't had a chance to play it yet, like the OP.

The 'LE' is just the finalized version of the original game, plus DLCs. Usually some tagline is added like 'GOTY Edition' or 'Ultimate Edition' or in this case, 'Legendary Edition'. Came out a while back, before the SE engine port.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
They likely are. The SE is an engine rewrite for Skyrim using the FO4 engine, it wasn't some herculean effort, and was released for free to previous owners of Skyrim (or maybe Skyrim + DLC). It also has renewed interest in the game due to extended modding potential, and improved the state of things for people who haven't had a chance to play it yet, like the OP.

The 'LE' is just the finalized version of the original game, plus DLCs. Usually some tagline is added like 'GOTY Edition' or 'Ultimate Edition' or in this case, 'Legendary Edition'. Came out a while back, before the SE engine port.

Blue Steel? Le Tigre? Its the SAME THING!!!

Remakes, rewrites, re-anything is the same thing, just done again. I have no problems with people doing this as a mod, but when they release it as a new game or even charging for it, that's the problem.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Blue Steel? Le Tigre? Its the SAME THING!!!

Remakes, rewrites, re-anything is the same thing, just done again. I have no problems with people doing this as a mod, but when they release it as a new game or even charging for it, that's the problem.
Kinda feel like you're tilting at windmills here.

Rereleases of the same thing are one thing, but generally the 'complete edition' releases are done as a complete package at a reduced price (from original + DLC, usually steeply) in order to snag those outliers who didn't want to get nickle and dimed to death by DLC (like me.. still waiting on the Total War: Warhammer complete edition).

This SE is a new thing to extend the life of arguably one of the most popular single player games out, one of the more popular modded games (as are most Bethesda RPGs) and again, was given away to free to owners of Skyrim (plus DLCs, iirc).

It's hardly a cash grab, otherwise they'd have never combined the game + DLCs, they'd still be pushing out stupid DLCs, or whatever else. It's just a simplified package for people like the OP getting into the game, and a better offering than the original release. Hell, it was $20 at the last steam sale (04JUL), and a steal at that.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001

They did create FO4, they are working on new games, those new games take years to make.

The LE and SE versions are for people who never bought the game, for example someone on console who finally got a gaming PC, and for people who only bought the core game and have decided to replay it with all the DLC.

Skyrim is a sandbox game so replaying it with new characters makes sense (ranged vs. melee vs. magic), as well as replaying with the hundreds of gameplay-changing mods.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
If I get the Legendary Edition that comes with all three DLCs, will that still qualify for the free SE version upgrade on Steam?)

I'm pretty sure you only got the updated version for free if you already had it in steam at release.

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017

They actually said at this past E3 that they are currently NOT working on a new TES game.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Kinda feel like you're tilting at windmills here.

Rereleases of the same thing are one thing, but generally the 'complete edition' releases are done as a complete package at a reduced price (from original + DLC, usually steeply) in order to snag those outliers who didn't want to get nickle and dimed to death by DLC (like me.. still waiting on the Total War: Warhammer complete edition).

This SE is a new thing to extend the life of arguably one of the most popular single player games out, one of the more popular modded games (as are most Bethesda RPGs) and again, was given away to free to owners of Skyrim (plus DLCs, iirc).

It's hardly a cash grab, otherwise they'd have never combined the game + DLCs, they'd still be pushing out stupid DLCs, or whatever else. It's just a simplified package for people like the OP getting into the game, and a better offering than the original release. Hell, it was $20 at the last steam sale (04JUL), and a steal at that.

This is a re-release, just with all the DLC. It already exists in one form or another just now at a reduced price. It's nothing more than a cash grab. The game was pretty good the first time around, 6 years or so ago, but we need new games, new genres, not more dlc imho or dlc plus original game bundled together.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
This is a re-release, just with all the DLC. It already exists in one form or another just now at a reduced price. It's nothing more than a cash grab. The game was pretty good the first time around, 6 years or so ago, but we need new games, new genres, not more dlc imho or dlc plus original game bundled together.

You seem to be assuming that everyone on Earth who wants to play it already owns it. If that was the case then this would indeed be pointless.

Me, I'm still stubbornly waiting to EA to release a "cash grab" collection for Mass Effect 3 since I refuse to pay +$20 for the DLC or to play an incomplete game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The most important mod that doesnt work is SkyUI, and frankly SkyUI is the one mod I absolutely need in order to play the game at all.

Aside from that, the Special Edition looks nice and on top of that theres oodles of mods to make it look even better.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
No, the LE was the 'rerelease with all DLC'. SE did not exist in any form or fashion, as it's Skyrim with a new(er) engine. This is more akin to the UE3->4 ports of various games that get released, which those are generally also free to existing owners.

Most people who own Skyrim aren't going to pay for it again. Most people who don't own it will look to buy one, and either realize SE is the way to go, or ask, as the OP did.

I don't disagree that I'd like a new ES game, however.

The most important mod that doesnt work is SkyUI, and frankly SkyUI is the one mod I absolutely need in order to play the game at all.

Aside from that, the Special Edition looks nice and on top of that theres oodles of mods to make it look even better.
SkyUI 2.2 works with SE, albeit without the goodies that come with the previous mod linking infrastructure that everyone was taking advantage of. For purposes of ripping the consolitis out though, it's more than functional.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I already have Skyrim on Steam I was trying to figure out the cheapest way to get the SE version.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
WHEN did you get Skyrim on Steam?

Cuz most of us picked up the SE version for FREE.
I think that depended on which edition you owned. I only own the base game without any DLC.
Exactly. I picked up Skyrim for the original $60 when it first came out, but never bought the DLCs. I had heard SE was "free" on Steam, but only to those people that owned all the DLC too. Since I don't, I was looking for the cheapest way to get SE + the DLC all in one.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Exactly. I picked up Skyrim for the original $60 when it first came out, but never bought the DLCs. I had heard SE was "free" on Steam, but only to those people that owned all the DLC too. Since I don't, I was looking for the cheapest way to get SE + the DLC all in one.
SE comes with all DLC, it's essentially the 'upgraded' version of the LE (which is also all DLC). LE is x86, SE is x64. I personally highly, highly recommend the SE version.

Sucks that you gotta get it twice, wish they'd just comp any previous owners, stupid DLC or no. It's still worth it though, imo.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
SE comes with all DLC, it's essentially the 'upgraded' version of the LE (which is also all DLC). LE is x86, SE is x64. I personally highly, highly recommend the SE version.

Sucks that you gotta get it twice, wish they'd just comp any previous owners, stupid DLC or no. It's still worth it though, imo.

Well since the SE includes the DLC, giving it to users who only owned the base game would effectively be giving them the DLC for free. Can't say it's fair to expect Bethesda to do that.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Well since the SE includes the DLC, giving it to users who only owned the base game would effectively be giving them the DLC for free. Can't say it's fair to expect Bethesda to do that.
Eh, the game was years old and the DLC's never been an exceptional part of the game, TBH on release of these 'super editions' of a given game (LE's ultimate editions, etc) I personally feel they should give it out to any hold-outs that didn't buy it previously. Most will buy them as they're released if they care enough, and most that get it for free x years after original release won't care that much about free goodies for an older game.

Really it's only something I'd be concerned with when they're intentionally releasing a version intended to extend the life of the game, like this engine port, but only give it out to people that bought every DLC (notably requiring Hearthfire, right up there with Oblivion's horse armor imo), but not those that just didn't fork over that last $2.

Maybe a better balance would have been to give the SE to anyone that had any DLC at all.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Eh, the game was years old and the DLC's never been an exceptional part of the game, TBH on release of these 'super editions' of a given game (LE's ultimate editions, etc) I personally feel they should give it out to any hold-outs that didn't buy it previously. Most will buy them as they're released if they care enough, and most that get it for free x years after original release won't care that much about free goodies for an older game.

Really it's only something I'd be concerned with when they're intentionally releasing a version intended to extend the life of the game, like this engine port, but only give it out to people that bought every DLC (notably requiring Hearthfire, right up there with Oblivion's horse armor imo), but not those that just didn't fork over that last $2.

Maybe a better balance would have been to give the SE to anyone that had any DLC at all.

What's the point in that for Bethesda? You have to consider the precedent it would set, too. If players figure out that they can buy the base game and just wait and the DLC will be given to them for free, well, a fair amount of them who would eventually buy the DLC will stop buying the DLC.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
What's the point in that for Bethesda? You have to consider the precedent it would set, too. If players figure out that they can buy the base game and just wait and the DLC will be given to them for free, well, a fair amount of them who would eventually buy the DLC will stop buying the DLC.
There's a large percentage of the gamer base that already do it, myself included. At minimum, I'm gonna wait for that 50% off sale and pick up all the DLC at half price, I'm not paying $50 for a game and $70 for onesey twosey DLCs over the next 15 months. I have a backlog of like 80 games I already own that I could be playing instead.

In fact, I don't personally know of anyone who buys game + DLCs as they come out. The closest I know are those that go in for the 'season pass' (which is really just the 'super edition' before you know what you're gonna get, dumb imo).

Another segment, which I also count myself in, are those that just wait for the 'LE/Ultimate/GOTY edition' of a given game to come out, knowing full well that it will, and it'll include all DLC + patches. Been waiting on that for Total War: Warhammer, 'cuz I want the game but not $80 worth of DLC to make it 'complete'.