Skyrim PC sells 1.7 million boxed units, not including DD purchased copies.

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
Publishers and developers just want everyone to believe that PC gaming is dying so they don't have to deal with intelligent customers who demand actual value.

They'd rather develop just for consoles because that market tends to eat up whatever is shoveled at them. (Madden / NBA / COD type games that have minor tweaks every year and re-marketed as a new game).

You have to be careful with how you interpret anti-PC gaming press, since the people in the industry have every reason to make it sound worse than it is.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Yeah but consoles sold 7.5m copies vs only 1.7m for PC, so PC gaming is dying.

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004

Consoles sold 7.5m copies and PC sold 1.7m plus Valve called it "fastest selling steam volume ever." so there's bound to be considerable steam sales volume on top of that 1.7m. Plus the recent steam sale convinced a few to buy it over the Holiday.

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
It sold more than 1.7 million, it doesn't include DD figures at all.

DD is vastly popular in the states, probably not so much in europe. But that figure would easily top 2 million including DD sales.

IIRC the PS3 version sold around 2.5 million.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I can't believe 1.7M people still buy boxed versions of games.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
It sold more than 1.7 million, it doesn't include DD figures at all.

DD is vastly popular in the states, probably not so much in europe. But that figure would easily top 2 million including DD sales.

IIRC the PS3 version sold around 2.5 million.

I'm guessing 3 million with DD sales. Steam is not the only place that sold it online. Figure Amazon, D2D, GMG and others made sales, as well. I'll bet Amazon did really well. D2D still has it as it's No. 1 selling game right now.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
Publishers and developers just want everyone to believe that PC gaming is dying so they don't have to deal with intelligent customers who demand actual value.

They'd rather develop just for consoles because that market tends to eat up whatever is shoveled at them. (Madden / NBA / COD type games that have minor tweaks every year and re-marketed as a new game).

You have to be careful with how you interpret anti-PC gaming press, since the people in the industry have every reason to make it sound worse than it is.

The paranoid persecution complex that some PC gamers have would make even the most ardent Israeli blush.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003

Not fair to combine all the consoles into one group to pit against the PC. Consider the PC like a console and see how it breaks down when one divides the console group into individual consoles, so instead of Console vs PC we have Xbox vs PS vs Wii vs PC.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
This is so ironic given how much Skyrim feels like a console port in its vanilla state. Don't lynch me! The game is awesome and fully moddable on PC. I love it.

Just ironic it has sold so well on PC and feels like such a port out of the box :D

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
This is so ironic given how much Skyrim feels like a console port in its vanilla state. Don't lynch me! The game is awesome and fully moddable on PC. I love it.

Just ironic it has sold so well on PC and feels like such a port out of the box :D

I use the same logic to come to a different conclusion, how can so many people play unmodded skyrim?

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I can't believe 1.7M people still buy boxed versions of games.

Its not surprising. DD isn't very popular outside of the US for 2 reasons:

1) Bandwidth metering is very common in a lot of countries.

2) Boxed games are cheaper in Europe (most of the time) than DD.

Still, it is not uncommon for 50% of US sales to consist of DD. With Witcher 2, nearly 70% of total US sales was DD.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I'm guessing 3 million with DD sales. Steam is not the only place that sold it online. Figure Amazon, D2D, GMG and others made sales, as well. I'll bet Amazon did really well. D2D still has it as it's No. 1 selling game right now.

True, but keep in mind that most DD sales are in the US. Its just not as popular in many countries. I could easily see the PC figure approaching 2.3-2.4 million, though.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I'd rather have the boxed version, by far. An actual manual, neat map, and trying to download Skyrim the night of its release on STEAM was like sucking up the Pacific ocean through a straw.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I'd rather have the boxed version, by far. An actual manual, neat map, and trying to download Skyrim the night of its release on STEAM was like sucking up the Pacific ocean through a straw.

I always preload. I can't remember having any problems with it.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007

"We've heard loud and clear that PC gamers are bitching about there being no version for them," said Mettra. "But are these people just making noise just because there's no version or because it's a game they actually want to play? Would they buy it if we made it?".

"It's hard because there's so much piracy and so few people are paying for PC games that we have to precisely weigh it up against the cost of making it. Perhaps it will only take 12 guys three months to port the game to PC. It's not a massive cost but it's still a cost. If only 50,000 people buy the game, then it's not worth it."
-Stanislas Mettra, Creative director of Ubisoft's 'I am Alive', 23/11/2011

*cough*

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
That would be true if PC gamers weren't all bark and no bite. As long as they are buying half backed console ports however, I don't personally regard them as any sort of threateningly intelligent consumer group.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
Are there any figures for DD sales yet? I would not be suprised if the DD sales were 3x or more then hard copy sales.

When I picked up my hard copy of Skyrim I was the only person there out of maybe 70 people getting the PC version.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005

well when you aim for the lowest common denominator across all platforms, of course it will sell!