Skyrim - need help with the learning curve

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Never played this series of Gmaes before, so I am struggling a bit just getting started.
For example, I have looted all sorts of armour, but I cannot seem to see it inorder to sell it to a vendor to make some money. Also, while I have an idea about the skill tree branches I want to take, in my case sneaking and archery, I don't know when I can advance those, or what paths to click on to make the choices.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Actually, can anyone PM me and I will give you my cell. That way you can just tell me how the game works, and I can ask questions.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
You can only sell equipment to a vendor that wants that equipment. If he does not want it, you will not even see it in the sell dialog. To sell armor and weapons find a smith.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
There is a button on the screen (probably on the bottom) that will show you the store's list of equipment and another button that lets you switch over to your list of equipment. Once you are on your list of equipment you can just click on it to sell it. This is of course, after you talk to the shop keeper and say you want to buy/sell.

Also regarding the skill trees. You need to get the appropriate skills high enough to buy points. For example, to start the sneaking skill tree, you maybe 25, 35 or 50 points to even click the bottom of the tree (root) (can't remember the exact number, but the stars on the UI will light up bright when you have the skills.) If you don't have the sneaking skills, you might get the point to purchase an ability from lvling, but you don't have the skills to apply it to the tree. In the case of my mage/thief, I'm working up all magics, so all the magic skills are low, and I am not able to unlock much in the trees, so I have like 10 points to distribute that I cannot at lvl 30ish. But once I get the skill high enough, I will be able to do it. Typically you need to focus on certain skills to get the abilities. As the saying goes "Jack of all trades, master of none."

If you want to spend points in archery, you need to focus on just that weapon and get your skill up.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
I spent a point or perk on something when I made lvl 2 becasue I could not figure out how to get out of the screen otherwise. I COULD go back to a previous save and re do it, but I don't know what to spend it on even if I did, and I MIGHT have spent it correctly anyway.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
I have a skill to zoom with the bow if I press block. What do I press to block?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Right mouse button is the default. Left to attack, right to block (or zoom, etc)

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Ah!
Ok, I am lvl 6, but I don't even have a spell that can heal my housecarl. Should I make the long walk to Winterhold to find someone who will sell me a better spell? I am a wood elf if that matters.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
No, it will be awhile before you get a spell to heal others, and until you are high level you can buy all the spells you need from the mage in Dragonreach castle in Whiterun.

When you decide you want to go to another town look for a cart sitting outside of Whiterun (near the stables) talk to the guy driving the cart and he will give you the option of purchasing a ride to other cities. This will fast walk you to that city.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
If you are at a loss trying to figure out Skyrim then I suggest you start off with mastering "Morrowind" first plus it's a better game IMHO.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
So level 15 with skill of 50 in archery.it is just about the only weapon I have used.is that ok?

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Depends on your build. My main play through was sneak/archery/restoration and I ONLY used bows until I was one-shotting just about everything, at which point I leveled up some other weapon skills. If you like the bow and want to keep using it, there's nothing wrong with your approach.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
So level 15 with skill of 50 in archery.it is just about the only weapon I have used.is that ok?

Yes, you are fine. It is actually hard to make a bad character in Skyrim.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Can I be in the Thieves Guild AND the Imperial Legeon at the same time?

Can I jump into the middle of a quest line? For example, I want to do the weddign assasination, but that is in the middle of the dark brotherhood quest line.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Can I be in the Thieves Guild AND the Imperial Legeon at the same time?

Can I jump into the middle of a quest line? For example, I want to do the weddign assasination, but that is in the middle of the dark brotherhood quest line.

You need the quest to do that, which means you need to start with quest #1

My first playthrough I went Archery/Sneak/Enchanting/Blacksmithing

Now I am challenging myself and playing through as 1-h/Speech/Illusion magic.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yes, you are fine. It is actually hard to make a bad character in Skyrim.

While i wont say the game is easy.. getting one shotted at 35 by the Draugr Death Overlords with bows is getting old.. glad i dont see alot of them. I still dont think straight melee characters are a good choice, this game rewards range far to much (but good blocking can overcome alot). magic is (opinion) a bit to weak till late game where its OP... I tend to thinkt eh game wa designed for archer sneak.. but if oyu put the skill points in right even that is way OP later in game.

great game non the less...

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Interesting, I am a woodelf and only train in sneak and archery.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
If you want visual info and instruction Trendkill also has a series of Skyrim vids on youtube on all the different classes and how best to spec them (in his opinion). He also has vids on loot, armor, weapons, followers, etc. There are others that have similar vids but his sense of humor is pretty funny and makes watching them fun to watch.