Skin graft (on finger)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AnthroAndStargate, Sep 13, 2006.

1. AnthroAndStargate

AnthroAndStargate Golden Member

I recently got a skin graft on my finger and it's been imobolized for awhile - just started PT - but it seems like no matter how hard I try I cant get the finger back to normal. They said it would take a month but it seems like it's gonna take longer.

Anyone else every have somehting like this and if so - how long did it take you to get movement of your finger back?

2. dugweb

dugweb Diamond Member

i once watched a program on skin grafting, grossest procedure i've ever seen

3. blert

blert Senior member

Made the mistake of not removing a ring at a construction site and ended up "de-gloving" the middle finger on my left hand- that means ripping the skin completely off of it. Because of the nature of the injury they could only use about 50% of the original skin and had to take a little off of my leg. Long story short, it was a stinky, oozy, 3 month process to have it completely heal- but was back to work in 2 weeks. Don't know your deal, but I moved and exercized the finger normally along with all of the others (much to my Doc's displeasure) and now 5 years later it's at 97% movement/feeling when they told be the best I could expect it to be was 80%. Follow the docs orders or not- your body will tell you if you are doing something wrong. Kept the area clean during the healing process with soap and water with a daily wipe of Betadine. Tell the doc to shove the antibiotics up his ass- I ended up not taking them after 3 weeks cuz they were doing more harm than good.

4. Horus

Horus Platinum Member

I know someone that did that in the reserves. Was wearin' his wedding ring when he hopped out of a truck, got the ring cought in the rear-view mirror...tore the skin completely off, leaving bone. They just amputated the finger.

5. Platypus

Platypus Lifer

I had 3rd degree burns on 80% of my feet when I was younger (about 10 years ago now) and had grafting done.. it took me a LONG time to be able to walk again normally.. about 2 months of physical therapy and relearning how to walk. I would imagine it will happen in a month or two, the new skin has to stretch