Skin bleaching a growing problem in Jamaica slums

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
This crazyness is prevalent in many places. I just don't get it, I can only conclude that there's some sort of innate wiring based on evolution that makes us as a species prefer lighter skin.

Personally I like differences, it's much more fun that way. Nothing wrong with people "mixing" , that's fine too, I just mean over the next couple of hundred years we'll likely lose a lot of variety. Oh well, such is the way of the world.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How is this different from things done in the USA like hair coloring, Makeup, Tanning Salons, Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Botox, Silacone injections, etc.

Who Cares??????

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
This crazyness is prevalent in many places. I just don't get it, I can only conclude that there's some sort of innate wiring based on evolution that makes us as a species prefer lighter skin.

Personally I like differences, it's much more fun that way. Nothing wrong with people "mixing" , that's fine too, I just mean over the next couple of hundred years we'll likely lose a lot of variety. Oh well, such is the way of the world.

It goes back to ingrained history. Typically the more wealthy people had lighter skin due to being indoors mostly, while the poorer would be dark due to working outside or in the fields all day.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Wealthy white folks die of skin cancer all the time in the race to look like latinos through tanning and exposing their own bodies to dangerous amounts of solar radiation. What does this say about the history and nature of the white race? :hmm:

What a bunch of borderline racist mental masturbation this thread is.

Last edited by a moderator:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Wealthy white folks die of skin cancer all the time in the race to look like latinos through tanning and exposing their own bodies to dangerous amounts of solar radiation. What does this say about the history and nature of the white race? :hmm:

What a bunch of borderline racist mental masturbation this thread is.

Unless the first part of your post was facetious, you are the racist.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
How is this different from things done in the USA like hair coloring, Makeup, Tanning Salons, Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Botox, Silacone injections, etc.

Who Cares??????
None of those are because of shame of one's race. There are many similarities, though.

I saw a show on this a girl was "addicted" to it. Seemed to really suck, she slathered this stuff on and I could hardly tell a difference. Probably very bad for you, though.

The dumbest thing I see in the US is all the girls in late teens/early twenties in a skin cancer face. These @(#*ing dolts, why are their parents letting them do that? Many look like they literally sleep in a tanning bed.