Ski roof racks? Thule or Yakima?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
Anybody have any experience...thinking of purchasing one. Id like it to hold minimum 4 pairs of skis. I don't snowboard but I do have snowboarder buddies who ride along at times... Thanks...

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
I've got a Yakima and like it. Really though I don't think you could go wrong either way between the two brands.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I've got a Yakima and like it. Really though I don't think you could go wrong either way between the two brands.

What he said.

Although these days I use a cargo box up top. Skis, boards, plus some cargo, all kept out of the elements.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I think it has more to do with what is available with your car and compatible with what shape crossbars you have. After that, then the options like wind shields, locks, etc.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
What he said.

Although these days I use a cargo box up top. Skis, boards, plus some cargo, all kept out of the elements.

Wow 2-4 x as much for a cargo box than a ski rack. Just looked up cargo box prices and am a little shocked. I was looking to spend 200'ish which is firmly in ski rack territory. Besides skis and snowboards can take the elements so I'm not that worried about that. Cargo goes in the trunk.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Owning a Thule roof system(rack, bike rack and cargo box), I would recommend Yakima. Yakima provides better customer service and it's an American company.

Note, I love my cargo box. It can fit skis, snowboards and more, while protecting them from the elements, especially salt.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
I think it has more to do with what is available with your car and compatible with what shape crossbars you have. After that, then the options like wind shields, locks, etc.

Yeah im finding that out too... I need a rack for a 2009 VW Jetta TDI

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Wow 2-4 x as much for a cargo box than a ski rack. Just looked up cargo box prices and am a little shocked. I was looking to spend 200'ish which is firmly in ski rack territory. Besides skis and snowboards can take the elements so I'm not that worried about that. Cargo goes in the trunk.

Yeah, I used a ski rack attachment for years. It worked fine. Then we had kids. All of a sudden, the amount of crap we were bringing whenever we took a trip anywhere increased exponentially.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Also: Look for used. Craigslist, ebay, whatever. Can save a bundle. Even if the Yakima/Thule stuff gets beat up a bit and don't look quite so nice, they tend to work for a long time.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
No offense meant, but for the same reason as mentioned above - keeps the skis out of the elements, I've never figured out why the heck people spend a lot of money for roof racks. Every car I've owned was sufficiently long enough to put the skis inside. I find it even more amusing to see roof racks with skis on them on vehicles such as Yukons. wtf?? I't like they're saying "look at me! I ski!!!"

edit: and after skiing, my skis were always clean when I put them in the car. I prefer to ski on top of snow/ice, never mud. It tends to brush right off.

Last edited:

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
No offense meant, but for the same reason as mentioned above - keeps the skis out of the elements, I've never figured out why the heck people spend a lot of money for roof racks. Every car I've owned was sufficiently long enough to put the skis inside. I find it even more amusing to see roof racks with skis on them on vehicles such as Yukons. wtf?? I't like they're saying "look at me! I ski!!!"

edit: and after skiing, my skis were always clean when I put them in the car. I prefer to ski on top of snow/ice, never mud. It tends to brush right off.

Even in SUVs like that, the only way you will get skis/boards to lay flat on the inside of the vehicle is to flip the last row of seats down. Plus in my case, 4 guys, all with gear, boots, backpacks and duffle bags etc... PLUS skis/boards in a VW Jetta really sucks for long trips.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001

When it is just me and the wife, my legacy wagon fits it all fine with the 1 seater in the back folded down and a tarp. We can even do 4 people comfortably with everything inside the car. Sometimes, being one of the subaru drivers means 5 people in my car like the up and coming cabin trip this December.

Otherwise, my brother's lexus GX is always jam packed. With three rows of seating, the interior is packed full of people and that foot of space between the third row and the back is full of things you'd want to keep out of the elements.

Cliffs: Sometimes the inside is full of people.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I bought a Thule rack but the fit kit for it didn't actually fit my car well enough to use it so I returned it and bought a Yakima roof rack. I did like the Thule bike tray though so I kept it and just use it with the Yakima rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.