SJW trouble at Linux

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I am mirroring (with permission) a thread that exists already in the Open Source sub: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/linus-takes-a-break.2554107/

The reasons are; this could affect you even if you do not use a Linux desktop. The issue also isnt just technical but there are social politics involved.

Sample video

On Sep. 15, 2018 a new Code Of Conduct document was ratified by the Linux headquarters; the text can be found here: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu.../?id=8a104f8b5867c682d994ffa7a74093c54469c11f
At first glance it simply seems to be a "inclusivity" declaration, however (according to video 2) it has already been used by LGBTQA+ representatives to attack Linux coders and is meant to estabilish quotas NOT detailed in the declaration, specifically to prefer minorities as coders over "cis white males". This has grated with the Linux development structure that is almost exclusively a meritocracy, with minor concessions made to intrapersonal skills.

In fact, important Linux coders have now threatened to pull the parts of code they wrote out of the kernel (using copyright grounds), which could lead to other software platforms relying on said kernel to fail.

Linus Torvalds pulled out from his position at Linux just minutes after signing the declaration.

More in the video.

The SJW movement (whatever name they prefer) has brought only misery to anyone that has ever been exposed to them.

PLEASE if you choose to commend on the original thread keep in mind the TECH SUBFORUMS RULES ON LANGUAGE.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's a bunch of bullshit. Put on your big boy pants and write good code. If you can't handle it, find a new occupation. I *Do Not* recommend construction.

Regarding pulling code... They can't. Going forward they can stop contributing, or change the license, but the old gpl code will always be gpl code, and it can be used going forward by a different maintainer.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Regarding pulling code... They can't. Going forward they can stop contributing, or change the license, but the old gpl code will always be gpl code, and it can be used going forward by a different maintainer.
I dont know; im no expert of GPL but as i gather, thats what the video states - that the owner of code written under GPL can choose to prevent said code from being used. You *do* keep ownership of IP created under GPL so it doesnt seem too far fetched.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Could you summarize what the videos are saying cause no one has time to watch 30 minutes of bitching on youtube about sjw's, i see that Linus signed something that's asking people to be less dickish and people are upset about this? Why are they upset?

Reactions: paperfist

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Who are the sjw's again? The guy posting/creating threads to gain support for his social movement or the people you are complaining about?

If Linus says stop being dicks, I think I'll take his side. Good luck with your movement, warrior.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Could you summarize what the videos are saying cause no one has time to watch 30 minutes of bitching on youtube about sjw's, i see that Linus signed something that's asking people to be less dickish and people are upset about this? Why are they upset?
simply seems to be a "inclusivity" declaration, however (according to video 2) it has already been used by LGBTQA+ representatives to attack Linux coders and is meant to estabilish quotas NOT detailed in the declaration, specifically to prefer minorities as coders over "cis white males". This has grated with the Linux development structure that is almost exclusively a meritocracy, with minor concessions made to intrapersonal skills.

In fact, important Linux coders have now threatened to pull the parts of code they wrote out of the kernel (using copyright grounds), which could lead to other software platforms relying on said kernel to fail.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
I'd also be interested in an unbiased source for information on the LGBTQA+ representatives attack Linux coders. I'm not saying it isn't happening - I'd just like to see a better source.

greatnoob

Jan 6, 2014
So they essentially replaced their Code of Conflict with a Code of Conduct:
Our Pledge
==========

In the interest of fostering an open and welcoming environment, we as
contributors and maintainers pledge to making participation in our project and
our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body
size, disability, ethnicity, sex characteristics, gender identity and
expression, level of experience, education, socio-economic status, nationality,
personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.

Our Standards
=============

Examples of behavior that contributes to creating a positive environment
include:

* Using welcoming and inclusive language
* Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
* Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
* Focusing on what is best for the community
* Showing empathy towards other community members

Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:

* The use of sexualized language or imagery and unwelcome sexual attention or
advances
* Trolling, insulting/derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks
* Public or private harassment
* Publishing others’ private information, such as a physical or electronic
address, without explicit permission
* Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a
professional setting

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this, unless of course you are a fuckwit... then yeah I can see why you'd be raging over this.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
OP, could you explain your issues with the code of conduct (yes, I read it). I'm not watching youtube video, I'd like to read your thoughts.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Sarah Mei: Linus is a bully and those who support him are pro-bullying
https://mobile.twitter.com/sarahmei/status/1045137886222286848

Linus Torvalds:
So that's my excuse for dismissing a lot of the politically correct concerns for years. I felt it wasn't worth it. Anybody who uses the words 'white cis male privilege' was simply not worth my time even talking to, I felt.
(Extract) https://www.linux.org/threads/linux-devs-vs-ignorant-fascists.19932/

Sage Sharp: Ted Tso is a rape apologist https://mobile.twitter.com/_sagesharp_/status/1042769399596437504?lang=en

[H] https://hardforum.com/threads/linux-developers-threaten-to-pull-kill-switch.1968399/

Activists from the feminist and LGBTQIA+ communities have been trying to force the Linux project to join the Contributor Covenant since at least 2015. The Contributor Covenant is an agreement to implement a special Code of Conduct aimed at changing the predominantly white, straight, and male face of programming. CC’s Code of Conduct is controversial particularly because it allows anyone to be banned from contributing code for any reason, usually with no mechanism for oversight or accountability.

Contributor Covenant: https://www.contributor-covenant.org/
Marginalized people also suffer some of the unintended consequences of dogmatic insistence on meritocratic principles..
THEY FUCKING STATE "if you are a minirity then meritocracy doesnt apply to you"

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

I agree with that. The points are better focused around the aspect of creating and improving code. The last line of the current code of conduct:

Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting

is going to be where issues boil up in my opinion. There's a *lot* of stuff I wouldn't do in a professional setting that may, or may not be fine in a more productivity focused circle.

But that being said, I've already spoken on the main Programming sub-forum topic that overall I don't have a problem with Linus' transition. Being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole does not make code better. Hopefully the pendulum doesn't swing too much.

Reactions: IEC

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Coraline Ehmke: https://postmeritocracy.org/
Abandoning “the notion that merit is something that can be measured” because it is actually privilege in disguise.
Recognising that “interpersonal skills are at least as important as technical skills” in technical fields where results matter.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
This whole thing summarized is "meritocracy is bad because being good at coding is cis privilege" and "insisting on meritocracy is unprofessional behaviour" applied to a professional environment BASED on meritocracy.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Recognising that “interpersonal skills are at least as important as technical skills” in technical fields where results matter.

This last part is actually true, at least where actual collaboration is concerned. Many of these projects are not actually collaboration, so the above phrase has no meaning and wouldn't really be encountered. In something like most Linux contributions, you are just a guy, and grand dictator above you will say yay or nay to your contribution.

But in other Technical Field work, interpersonal skills are absolutely as important as technical skills. I have witnessed several really bright engineers at my workplace over the years be held back because, while they're really smart, they are neurotic assholes. No one wants to work with them, so no one assigns them any projects. No one assigns them any projects, so they have no visibility. Since they have no visibility for contributions, they don't receive the merit they could have earned, and since they don't receive any merit, they don't get promoted.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Whenever someone whines and moans about "SJWs," that's really shorthand for "but I want to keep being an asshole who treats whole industries as exclusive clubs under the false pretense of meritocracy."

Neither the Linux Code of Conduct nor the Contributor Covenant mention anything about quotas or favoring one demographic over another. It seems to boil down to "hey, be a nice person." And as the Contributor Covenant notes, the whole claim that meritocracy is a level playing field is... well, bullshit. The spoiled straight white boy sees everyone lined up at the starting line and thinks the race is fair; he doesn't see how much effort it took for everyone else just to reach that starting line, and he wonders why everyone else is already exhausted.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So Linus comes to terms with his mild Aspergers and discovers he has been an ass all these years... and in the wake of this personal growth he tries to remedy some of what he has done.
And this is a problem. Ok.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
This last part is actually true, at least where actual collaboration is concerned. Many of these projects are not actually collaboration, so the above phrase has no meaning and wouldn't really be encountered. In something like most Linux contributions, you are just a guy, and grand dictator above you will say yay or nay to your contribution.

But in other Technical Field work, interpersonal skills are absolutely as important as technical skills. I have witnessed several really bright engineers at my workplace over the years be held back because, while they're really smart, they are neurotic assholes. No one wants to work with them, so no one assigns them any projects. No one assigns them any projects, so they have no visibility. Since they have no visibility for contributions, they don't receive the merit they could have earned, and since they don't receive any merit, they don't get promoted.
Do you agree with "just as important" ?

The previous mission statement already made concession for *some* interpersonal skills, essentially considering them "not completely irrelevant".

It's not easy, to measure personality. More so when arguing with someone who says that expecting Linux contributors to be excellent coders is the equivalent of rape.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Neither the Linux Code of Conduct nor the Contributor Covenant mention anything about quotas or favoring one demographic over another.
Have you read it? https://postmeritocracy.org/

It states "we shouldnt need to be good coders to code here".

Fuck me, they even say "We acknowledge the value of non-technical contributors as equal to the value of technical contributors."

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
So Linus comes to terms with his mild Aspergers and discovers he has been an ass all these years... and in the wake of this personal growth he tries to remedy some of what he has done.
And this is a problem. Ok.
That's what i got out of it also, that and the same bs fud that was started about bill c16 in Canada

Reactions: Victorian Gray

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Have you read it? https://postmeritocracy.org/

It states "we shouldnt need to be good coders to code here".

Fuck me, they even say "We acknowledge the value of non-technical contributors as equal to the value of technical contributors."

That's not the Contributor Covenant or the Linux Code of Conduct. Keep digging that hole deeper.